Should I drink Bullet Proof Coffee

(Carole Sundeen) #1

I’m new…this is my third day. I feel that I am in the dark. Does anyone drink bullet proof coffee? If so, exactly how do you make it? How often do you drink it? Do you use a blender?
SeeEss

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #2

I don’t drink it. But many do and seem to have no problem.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

It’s a good way to start Keto and get your fats in. Once you’re adapted, many give it up for real food. I still enjoy it from time to time, but not regularly.

There’s lots of ways to make it. You can add coconut oil, MCT oil, butter, cocoa butter.

I make Leanne Vogal’s Rocket Fuel Latte. You add 1 tablespoon MCT oil, 1 tbsp cocoa butter, 1 tbsp hauled hemp seeds, 1/4 tsp vanilla. Mix I. A high powered blender (otherwise hemp seeds don’t mix well) then add 1 tbsp colegen peptides. And blend another 10 seconds. It’s really frothy and creamy. You can do a simple version minus the hemp seeds and colegen and get a similar though less nutrient dense version.

(Omar) #4

my favourite

I use heavy whipping cream about 40 grams in a cup of coffee

(Mandy) #5

I drank it every day when I started. I don’t everyday now but every so often. I made mine like so:

1 tablespoon grass-fed butter
1 tablespoon coconut oil
3 tablespoons heavy cream
Dash of cinnamon
A little stevia
8 ounces coffee

Blended all together in my bullet blender.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #6

I am beginning my 6th week this week and I am about to drop my BPC’s. I feel I am closer to fat adaption now and no longer require them.

I did have one every single day for the past 36 days though and they certainly help with hunger in the mornings, sooner or later I started stretching my lunch further and further back into the afternoons.

Prior to being a fat burner, I would eat in the morning and could not get past 10-11am without being hungry again and now I can last til 4pm.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #7

Sounds like you are well into being fat adapted. I’m 8 1/2 weeks in and just starting to be able to do OMAD’s. But not every day. I find the day after a OMAD day, I have to have a little something mid morning to get me to my lunch, which is typically my first of two meals. Nothing major, but like a small handful of almonds.

(Diane) #8

Just FYI, if you choose to add MCT oil, be very cautious to begin with (maybe 1/2 tsp) then increase the amount until you build up your tolerance as it can cause diarrhea in the beginning.

I don’t tolerate caffeine well, so instead of BPC, I make bullet proof bone broth (or herbal tea).

I’m now just over 4 months keto and enjoy my BPC daily.

I do simple version: 1-2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp MCT, coffee. After trying out different ways to blend it together my conclusion is that immersion blender works best (for me - no pressure buildup or leaking).

(ANNE ) #10

Do you normally drink coffee?
If the answer is yes, all the BPC is that it has fat in it.
I take mine with a chunk of cocoa butter in it, and some whipping cream.
No sugar of course, but then I didn’t have that in my coffee before developing the keto way of eating.
If you need sugar, switch to stevia drops.
At Timmy’s, I now just have cream instead of milk, but I haven’t calculated whether the TH cream is pure!
Not sure how much I want to know.
I still mentally need my first coffee of the day, but otherwise I have cut down coffee quite a bit over the last few months.

(Richard M) #11

Should I drink bulletproof coffee all morning and/or all afternoon? I find myself drinking it all morning and somethings in the afternoon wondering should I. Can’t find any information on how long to drink it in a day. Some say twice a day. what does that mean?

(Marianne) #12

When I first started keto, I drank one or two cups first thing in the morning. I found it delicious and believe it enabled me to comfortably go from breakfast to lunch or even dinner without eating in between. After 4-5 weeks when I didn’t need to eat as much or as often and adopted more of a 4-hour eating window, I stopped drinking it altogether.

You may get many opinions as others give their input, however, my advice would be to drink 1-2 cups in the morning only and stick to your planned meals. I wouldn’t use it as a supplement or boost in between meals. I would say meet or exceed your fat and protein macros per day and do that within your mealtimes. You may find after doing this a while, you won’t need to eat as much or as often as when you first began.

Good luck with your program!

(Vic) #13

If you’rr in it for weight loss, don’t drink calories. Eat calories only.

Otherwise, its up to you, I never did it or needed it.

(Richard M) #14

Thanks for all the replies. Today, I put in a tablespoon of MCT and heavy cream in 4 cups of coffee.
So than, is drinking straight coffee OK? If so, how long can I drink coffee in one day? I am on OMAD or hoping to go longer.

Thanks

(Tracy) #15

This is just me, but I’ve never had to purposely add fat to my diet to achieve a certain daily amount. The foods I eat are naturally high in fat and satiating.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #16

Big, big coffee drinker here, a liter to start each day. In my case, however, I drink what I call ‘keto coffee’ which is a mix of fats (coconut oil, MCT oil, ghee and whipping cream) with a mix of proteins (whey and collagen) to my current macros. I use my countertop blender to mix everything and the result looks/tastes a lot like cappuccino with a big head. When I started keto I added only fats to my coffee but soon found it very difficult to eat to my macros during the rest of the day, since I was starting out so overbalanced towards fat from the morning get go. So I eventually moved to simply drinking/eating to my macros at every meal. That made my life a lot easier. As noted above by @Carnivoor if you’re trying to lose weight, drinking a lot of fat in your coffee each day is probably not going to help.

(Richard M) #17

Thank you.
So would you just drank straight black coffee? If so, would you drank it all through the day or stop at what time of the day?

(Richard M) #18

I replied to Kyarn. Could you give your insight to the same question(s). Thank you.

(Bob M) #19

I personally drink one “cup” of coffee (3/4 cup, measured, of cold-brewed coffee, diluted to just under 2 cups) in the morning, and 1-2 cups (real cups) of Pu-Erh tea. I usually add salt to my coffee and no cream if fasting and a small amount of cream when not fasting. I try not to drink caffeine after noon, though sometimes if I’m really tired, I’ll have another tea.

I did drink bullet proof coffee for a while, though I gave it up. Over time, I got used to eating twice a day, so I don’t need anything in the mornings.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

While I love coffee, the Bullet Proof recipe has always seemed like too much work. I did, however, start putting heavy cream in my coffee, under the influence of these forums. It wasn’t bad, but I eventually decided that I prefer the taste of plain, black, unadulterated coffee.

In general, I find that I don’t need to worry about how much I caffeine I drink during the day. There have been periods of my life when a cup of coffee at bedtime would send me right to sleep, and other periods when a cup at four p.m. would keep me up all night. Right now, it doesn’t seem to matter, though I generally have my last cup sometime in the afternoon and switch to herbal tea after that.