Shoot me down in flames

(David Cooke) #1

On Keto 9 months now, weight down to maintenance level, now in addition on intermittent fasting,18/6.
I had no Keto flu or difficulties going into IF.
So, have I got this right?
1: Strict Keto, less than 20 gm daily, is a therapy for people that have medical problems (my blood pressure and blood sugar etc are now at acceptable levels). SO…
2. To maintain my health and weight, I now allow myself 35 - 40 gm carbs daily. Right?
3. Intermittent fasting has less to do with getting into ketosis but has more to do with losing weight. As I don’t wish to further lose weight I don’t really need IF, right?
I might add that I am 71 and at present run a mile a day.
Thanks

(Susan) #2

Congrats on reaching Maintenance. I think a lot of people increase the carbs as you say to the 35-40 when they have reached Maintenance. You could still Fast occasionally for the benefits of Autophagy sometimes if you wanted those extra benefits.

I think that IF/TRE has many benefits beyond weight loss so I would continue some form of it if it’s easy for you.
Congratulations!!!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #4

The 20g is more to have a defined amount that should work for everyone (always am exception).

Some people do increase carbs, but others don’t, as long as they can still stay in ketosis.

IF really isn’t weight loss specific. It can be helpful for autophagy (self-repair, clean-up).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

And the point of increasing carbs is… what exactly?

(Cristian Lopez) #6

You want me to cite studies that proove fasting slows down aging, cause it does!:man:t4:‍🦳> :man:t4:‍🦰

(Ken) #7

Maintenance is a matter of glycogen awareness. Your glycogen levels determine how many and when you can eat carbs. The issue is to not consume enough carbohydrate to refill glycogen stores and transition back into chronic lipogenesis. You don’t have to restrict your carbs every day, but you do have to limit chronic consumption to keep glycogen levels low. That means eating carbs intermittently, with very low carb consumption periods in between.

What works well is if you consume a high carb meal, skip them the next two. It takes quite a few carbs to refill glycogen, so even if you decide to eat them for a couple of days, dropping them for a few days afterwards puts you right back on track.

Eating carbs on Maintenance is not required, but this is a strategy to do so if you desire to.

You should still consider your normal nutritional pattern to be based on fat consumption, with occasional carb consumption being an exception.

(David Cooke) #8

And the point of not increasing carbs, thus making life a little easier and your biometrics aren’t affected, is … what exactly?

(Polly) #9

Some people find carbs addictive and cause them to return to the sort of bad habits which made them fat in the first place. Not everyone reacts in the same way, but caution is wise when re-introducing foods which may undo the benefits recently acquired.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

If you stick with it long enough and you will answer both mine and your questions.

(David Cooke) #11

Yes, that’s a nice condescending response that doesn’t answer any of my questions.
I wasn’t aware that I was fooling myself, but thanks for taking the time to tell me.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #12

Not condescending and I’m sorry you seem to have taken it that way.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #13

This number is where most people can get into ketosis but it can vary. Some choose to stay here, go lower or go higher depending on what works for them and their goals.

Again, this depends on the person. Some go higher than this and continue to feel good and maintain goals (weight, labs, ketosis, etc.) Others don’t do well adding more carbs.

IF can help with both things.

I think you sound ready to experiment with either adding carbs or changing eating windows in order not to lose more weight. I suggest you do one thing at a time.

(matt ) #14

How about you pump the brakes. No need for attitude and name calling. And yes you are using “newbie” as in insult.

Hi @cooked - I’m late to the conversation. I hope I’m running a mile a day at 71!

We have similar paths, except I’m 60 and cycling. I think you can throttle your carbs up and down to tweak your weight. If you gain a few pounds, reduce carbs. Go underweight, add carbs.

I don’t see IF the same way. I don’t think it’s more about losing weight, particularly once you are at maintenance. Rather, I believe it saves time, increases energy, and allows you to be less strict about what you eat.

At least, this is how it affects me.