[Sharing inBody Data] Life-time first 5 day fast ever at age 29

Hi,

Just like my 5 day fast, this is my first post ever on this forum.
As a starter, I’d like to introduce a little about my background and talk about why I started this life long journey of ketogenic diet and occasional extended fast at age 29.

TL;DR
- Been on ketogenic diet since May '18, never felt better in my life.
- Started my first 5-day fast after my dinner on 2/9/19, currently at 43 hr mark and going strong.
- I am doing a daily inBody check during my usual lunch hour (12PM), I will keep updating daily change

InBody Reading (more detailed data below)

• Day 1 (2/10 12PM) 13 hrs into fast
    Weight: 71.5kg
    Muscle Mass: 35.8kg
    Percent Body Fast: 12.2%

• Day 2 (2/11 12PM) 37 hrs into fast
    Weight: 70.2kg
    Muscle Mass: 35.4kg
    Percent Body Fast: 11.6%

• Day3 (2/12 12PM) 61 hrs into fast
    Weight: 70.4kg
    Muscle Mass: 35.7kg
    Percent Body Fast: 10.9%

The Long Story
I’ve been on strict ketogenic diet since May '18 after being introduced to it by a colleague of mine.
Before 2018, I’ve never considered sticking to a specific diet. I’ve always considered diet as something people do to lose weight, and never considered it a lifestyle or way of living. Obviously, after a month of ketogenic diet, my perspective on diet has completely changed, and have been actively doing desk research and learning things on a daily basis, not to mention spreading the knowledge to family and friends around me.

In the past, I’ve never ate unhealthy in particular but did consume hefty amounts of carb (which, now that I look back defines unhealthy in a very broad term. This statement may be controversial). I was never overweight and at 177cm (roughly 5’10"), I used to weigh somewhere between 70kg~76kg (154~167 lbs). Muscle mass was about average, with occasional weight lifting at gym.

The friend who introduced me to ketogenic diet is one I’ve always considered smart, with a lot of interesting knowledge. Thought I could always learn from him, and when I was first introduced to ketogenic diet, I knew I had to try.

Initially, it was the correlation between longevity and ketogenic diet that got me sticking to the diet. Day by day I felt better, and I was extremely happy about lack of “food-coma” after consumption. (I suffered from intense food-coma, and was having trouble doing things after dinner). I started sleeping less, and I could wake up early giving me more time to do things outside work in general.

Most importantly, the diet has completely changed my mindset in a very positive way, and on 22nd of July 2am. I smoked my last cigarette ever. I was a heavy smoker going through 2/3 to 1 full pack a day for the past 10 years or so. I’ve tried quitting but I just never could and the longest I succeded was about 3 months. Now i’m 8 months into cold turkey and going strong. Surprisingly, I don’t get cravings even when I’m heavily intoxicated (occasionally) in alcohol.

I’ve noticed it was the “keeping/sticking to a diet mindset” that helped me quit cigarette as well. I can’t be more thankful to my friend for introducing me to the diet.

I’m now about 9 months into ketogenic diet, and tbh I was giong a little lenient on myself in January '19. (A lot of family/friend gathering for NY etc.) and I thought, what better way to start my strict keto again than by introducing 5 day fast. I’ve done a lot of research and readings (esp. Peter Attia, Rhonda Patrick, Dom D’Agostino and started my 5 day fast journey 2 days ago.

I’m at 43hr mark as I write this, and to be honest, it’s definitely bearable. In fact, I don’t have any hunger, just some urge to chew on some food (not because I feel hungry, but my taste buds are craving some flavors). I’ve been doing very light yoga/mobility exercised during lunch time (50min), and I am doing a daily inBody check during my fast.

Below are the reading from the first 2 day (at 12PM everyday). I will share the upcoming 3 days readings as well in the future. I am particularly interested in my muscle weight during the 5 day fast. Hope the below information can be helpful to some ppl out here.

• Day 1 (2/10 12PM) 13 hrs into fast
    Weight: 71.5kg
    Muscle Mass: 35.8kg
    Fat Mass: 8.7kg
    BMI: 22.8kg/m^2
    Percent Body Fast: 12.2%
    Leg Lean Mass: 19.6kg
    ECW Ratio: 0.367
    Visceral Fat Area: 30.5cm^2

• Day 2 (2/11 12PM) 37 hrs into fast
    Weight: 70.2kg
    Muscle Mass: 35.4kg
    Fat Mass: 8.1kg
    BMI: 22.4kg/m^2
    Percent Body Fast: 11.6%
    Leg Lean Mass: 19.5kg
    ECW Ratio: 0.369
    Visceral Fat Area: 28.2cm^2

• Day3 (2/12 12PM) 61 hrs into fast
    Weight: 70.4kg
    Muscle Mass: 35.7kg
    Fat Mass: 7.7kg
    BMI: 22.5kg/m^2
    Percent Body Fast: 10.9%
    Leg Lean Mass: 19.9kg
    ECW Ratio: 0.370
    Visceral Fat Area: 26.0cm^2

By the way, I’m doing a water, salt, caffeine only fast. (I’ve included black coffee and organic green matcha tea for my first fast, to make things more bearable)

Thanks for reading my long story.
Hope to share more upcoming readings soon.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for this very informative post!

Thank you, I will update my Day 3 readings in few hours.

Updated Day 3 readings of my fast on Original Post.

This morning I had hard time waking up and getting to work. Very sluggish and definitely feel enervated. Nothing too crazy but I could feel the difference for sure. Had 1 tsp of salt in the morning after I checked into work, did some mobility workout during lunch. Feeling much better now at 2:23PM.

Interestingly, the muscle mass went back up on the 3rd day. I haven’t done anything different, just same intensity of mobility workout throughout day 1 ~ day 3. I think the increase in weight is due to the amount of water I consumed this morning. Due to sluggishness I drank more than I would in the morning. But otherwise, fat mass has decreased as expected.

Do you think the slight increase in muscle mass is just margin of error? or does it have something to do with fasting?

I’ve read about muscle growth during fast, but never dived deep into that realm.