Seriously, when do the "runs" stop?

Been on Keto almost a month now. Doing pretty good figuring out the levels and food intake. My protein was really high-got that under control. Fat was high-got that under control. Butt (pun intended!) I’ve had the “runs” for almost 3 weeks. No wonder I’m losing weight, it’s all leaving via this method. Yes I have upped the salt and magnesium intake. I swear, I’m afraid to even trust a fart!! lol. I starting taking MetaMucil 1 or 2 times a day but that’s not really doing the trick. Didn’t find too much on this topic and feeling discouraged. I can’t live like this - I commute an hour to work and I know where every public restroom is on the way. :running_woman: :-:toilet:

(Adriana) #2

I was the same during the second week of keto, I drastically reduced my veggie intake, stopped taking liquids with my food (stop 30 minutes before and resume 30 minutes after eating) and evenly distributed my macros throughout my meals, that fixed the problem for me.

(Adriana) #3

These threads helped me figure out and offer great advice that worked for others:

(Sophie) #4

I had a friend who’s doctor told her to go on keto and she asked me tons of stuff. Sadly, she quit after about 3 weeks because of the runs. I didn’t have first hand experience with that during my journey so it was hard to counsel her. I felt like some of her quitting was because she was unable to break her sugar habit though and the runs was a great excuse.

(Lonnie Hedley) #5

N=1, but I’ve found an elimination diet was the best way to figure out a lot of internal issues. When you add food back and have issues it makes it easy to track down where the issue came from. I eat ground beef, bacon, eggs, and butter. Last week I added some hemp seeds I want to use up instead of throwing away. Horrible stomach issues ensued, so I cut them out. Stomach issues gone. Had a spinach salad a few months ago. Diarrhea the next couple days. I’ll keep trying to add some stuff in, but right now the minimal choices seem to be best for my insides.

I’m so sorry and you sound so distressed. I don’t blame you.
I am also a month into Keto. I had to LOWER my salt intake to get rid of the runs! Occasionally I took an imodium AD to control the runs, but now I seem to be doing OK. Hope this helps.

(Wendy) #7

Be careful with the magnesium supplement you use as Magnesium Oxide can easily cause diarrhea. I can’t handle that stuff.
I’ve had loose stools on and off during my keto journey as well as constipation at times. I am not sure if my body changes or my diet but it’s all evened out for the most part.
Wish I had a more concrete answer.

Thanks all for replying.
Since I track my food with CarbManager, I went back and checked my fat intake over the last 3 weeks. I’m usually just short of my goal, rarely over, which is good.
@Adriana-Thanks, I just went through those. Good info!
The only thing new for me is coconut milk, but that’s not high in fat, protein or carbs. Never know, my body just may not like it. I’ve tried all the other milks…yuck.
I’m down 6lbs and am happy about that. I don’t have a lot to lose. In the past when I have gained weight, I become prediabetic. Now that my hormones are changing (good times!) its time to make a lifestyle change so I don’t gain the weight that has been creeping up with the hormone changes.
I imagine the amount of time each has had to contend with this is different vs. it usually last xx days/weeks. I’m not quitting though!

(Edith) #9

Are you using MCT oil? That can cause the runs.

(Mike W.) #10

You said you upped the salt and magnesium. This could be causing the issue you’re experiencing.

No MCT or Coconut Oil.
I upped the salt and magnesium due to this issue and it changed nothing.

(Mike W.) #12

I don’t think you understand. Upping either of those could cause you to have diarrhea. Dial back the mag and see if it helps.

(Edith) #13

I take magnesium glycinate which is in a more bioavailable form. I have not had any bowel difficulty from it.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #14

Eggs and Magnesium killed me. Stopped both, normal poos.

(Wendy) #15

Eggs? Are you allergic or something? That would make me sad. :pensive:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #16

I don’t know but I was starting to get really crampy about an hour after eating them and then water poo.

I may try again at a later date but I’m doing okay without them, although I do love the taste. I buy the cage free, free range, grass fed, salon and spa treated eggs and still…

@Wendy…I just checked, mag oxide is what I’m taking. Per you and Mike W. I will stop the mag and see if that helps. All Y’all are great!!

(Karen) #18

Yeah I remember having troubles for about one week. Community suggested that my electrolytes might not be balanced. I also was actually eating probably more vegetables on keto than when I was on a “balanced”diet

K

(Empress of the Unexpected) #19

I had lemon juice today in water - and salt on my tongue. Boy, was I ever sorry!! Salt causes problems within an hour.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #20

I love salt but… too much equals too many problems. Been there, done that.