Seriously, when do the "runs" stop?

(Kevin Ruther) #21

Hi PetaMarie,

That sounds more like you’re coming off a fast and ate too much right away. Also eggs can be rough coming off a fast.

By fast I think I mean 18 to 36 hours with tea, coffee, or water.

I’ve had multiple hard landings trying to land my fast plane.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #22

Perhaps try switching fats. I can do nuts, avocado, blue cheese, no problem. Oils kill me. Coconut oil? No. Just. No.

I’m starting to think this might be why I have this issue during extended fasts (water only and electrolytes). It seems to be worse if I drink ketoade (basically saline which is a known laxative) than if I just have salt on the tongue.

I have learned so much about how my body operates and what it likes in the almost 2 years I’ve been doing keto.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #24

I learned a lot yesterday. Though I have tried to deny it for years. No snacking on straight salt (I loved salt pre-Keto.) . No salsa (it contains peppers. DOH) No straight lemon juice (what were you thinking?) Today was a great day because I behaved!! Meat, veggies, etc.

UPDATE: I cut back on my water intake. I was drinking 2 liters a day. Cut to 1 and that REALLY helped. Was on the road to recovery when I went overboard on some amazing roasted brussel sprouts (like 2 cups!!) which decided to not hang around for a while. Bad news. So, starting again.

Also, struggling with all the goodies in the office for Halloween. I love fat bombs, but they are not the same as good ole candy. I will make it through this too with you all.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #26

I think of it like this, I will enjoy that (insert delicious, sugary treat here) for less than one minute while it is in my mouth (longer if I hold it in my mouth until it’s filled up with saliva and I am forced to swallow) and then it will be over but is it worth it?

I think one treat isn’t a big deal but I know me and it wouldn’t end with just one.

ONE?? I know of no such number PetaMarie! lol.

Another update: Things got a little better, but barely, for a little while and then, its baaAAAccck!! I’ve tried more salt, then less salt, then no added salt. Tried more water, less water, no dice. Tried different types of magnesium, then no magnesium, again, no dice. Psyllium husk, Metamucil, nope! You know what finally helped? Thanksgiving day stuffing! Now that that is over, back to liquidity. This has been going on since early October. How long do you go before waiving the white flag (or TP!)??? Two months is a loooong time to deal with constant diarrhea. No wonder I’m losing weight, nothing is staying long enough to make me gain. So frustrated!!! Other than this issue, I feel fine. Now I’m thinking maybe TOO much fat? I use Carb Manager and am keeping very close to my daily goals. sigh Thoughts?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #29

Once I cut back on the fat I was fine. I still don’t eat very much fat. I’ve never been close to what chronometer said I should be eating fat-wise. I ended up just eating fats in the meats, nuts, avocados. I’m fine now. I would say cut back on the fat a bit. Or experiment to see which fats agree with you the most.

(Daisy) #30

Sure, try cutting back on the fat a little. I made baconnaise the other day and have been eating it with my eggs. Instantly running to the bathroom. I think it’s too much fat at once.

(CharleyD) #31

Tried a probiotic capsule? Usually I just do one a day, 5 billion, but if I need to adjust things like your problem I’ll take two. It should provoke a change inside a day.

(Edith) #32

If my fat intake gets above 60-65% of my total calories, I get the runs.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #33

How much magnesium are you taking? I took a little too much just last night and ended up feeling really sorry for myself!! Also are you taking it on an empty stomach?

(Jeremy Wheatley) #34

Could it your fiber intake??

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #35

Probiotics? Others have already suggested what I would have and you tried those. Such as adjusting salt, adjusting magnesium, adding fiber, subtracting fiber, Etc. The only thing I can think of is your gut needs time to heal and try adding in probiotics. Sorry you’re having such a tough time but most of us have pretty deranged bodies when we arrive here and it takes a while to heal. Be careful you don’t get dehydrated.

(Justin Jordan) #36

I’ve had the same problem.

It MIGHT be pancreatic insufficiency - the pancreas also produces lipase and protease, digestive enzymes that (as the names indicate) fat and protein. This can actually be masked by starches in the diet, in terms of how you poop.

Which has proved to be the case for me - I’ve monkeyed around with basically every variable, and literally the only thing that makes a difference is carb intake. Hold fat and protein steady, add or subtract carbs, and it consistently affects my bowels.

I’m experimenting with a supplement that adds the relevant enzymes, but the results are mixed so far. At first it seemed effective, now not so much. I’m going to bring it up to my doctor and get tested at my next doctor’s appointment (which is six weeks or so from now).

I do find that pysllium helps, if I take enough of it. It doesn’t get me to a normal bowel movement, but it makes me go less and adds bulk, which is better than peeing out my butt.

(Laura) #37

I started taking bile salts and that has helped me tremendously. The runs stopped pretty much completely.

I had my gallbladder out almost 30 years ago and the increased fat in my diet passed through too fast for gravitational bile to handle.

Thanks everyone for your input on a delicate subject. I too have been thinking it may be too much fat and will begin to monkey around with that. Will move it down from 75g. Also, the Probiotic idea sounds good, I think I will give that a try. Damn, just when you get hooked on all the great fats you’re allowed to have!! Although, I must say I did fit into my skinny jeans today. #silverlining. Thanks everyone!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #39

I agree.