Seriously?Intermittent fasting?!?!

(Joey) #21

Perhaps somewhat more accurate to say it was a 2-day study. :roll_eyes:

Better yet, this should be described as an intermittent study.

(BuckRimfire) #22

Massive face-palm

(BuckRimfire) #23

She wanted you to wake up and eat in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT???

[insert string of prohibited words here]

My co-worker is from Spain and in his late 40s. He says that when he was a kid, if he or his sisters ate between their usual three meals, his mom or grandmother would go ballistic and slap them! Apparently this was considered socially acceptable.

(Chuck) #24

Growing up in the late 1940s through the early 1960s things were different and more strict. I grew up on the farm and where I grew up was in a drought that was very bad. Money and food was hard to come by at times. Kids after my generation really don’t understand discipline and way too many don’t know what it means to go without necessities.

(Eric) #25

Great response to this study from Dr. Jason Fung, sadly the people that really need to read this probably won’t.

https://drjasonfung.medium.com/the-aha-says-fasting-increases-cardiac-risk-by-91-are-they-really-that-stupid-f8ee453ad77c

(KM) #26

Ah, Jason Fung, the politically incorrect scientist who’s just as outraged as the best of us and doesn’t make any attempt to be polite about it. My guy! :heart:

(Rossi Luo) #27

I read it, and I found the authors were from China Shanghai Jiaotong University, I know that university, to be honest, I don’t believe the medical studies conducted by native people living there, their motivation to do the study is just to publish their study so they can get promotion, China’s university has rules that a professor must publish study to get promotion or bonus, such of that.
How can a professor from Shanghai Jiaotong University have 20,000 US adults’ data? I doubt that.

I feel so funny that America Heart Association believes such study while I as a Chinese don’t believe it, it’s quite ironic

(Geoffrey) #28

That’s funny, I guess my cardiologist hasn’t read that yet because he just cut my heart meds in half today because I’ve gotten so healthy.

(Joey) #29

No doubt the AHA has pushed all kinds of ideas (whether they believed them or not) about which you were reasonably skeptical. :vulcan_salute:

Awesome. Congrats :+1:

(Kirk Wolak) #30

First, they attack you…

Then you win.

They are LOSING this battle, this reminds me of the “Medical Study” against a “Certain Drug” during “Lockdowns”. After it caused all on-going studies to be SHUT DOWN out of dangerous risks reported by the study… They realized it was “made up”, and they retracted the study. But the damage was done. (One hint the numbers were made up was that they pulled data from so many countries, and normalized all that data in 1 month. When many of the countries mentioned don’t use computer records. LOL. And different countries, different languages, different units of measures, etc. etc. As a “data guy”, the amount of cleaning such a study requires is measured in months… As in MANY months. 6 Months would have been a bit too fast. 9 Months is probably closer to reality).

This is the old playbook. Like telling people Atkins died of heart disease.
etc. etc. etc.

At this point, I will add… My faith in anything the medical journals or my government publishes is SO BAD, that if they say it, I assume the opposite is true… So much so… I no longer believe in Aliens, because the government said they might exist! LOL

(Joey) #31

Perhaps a wiser bet would be to believe in aliens… but not in government? :man_shrugging:

(Rossi Luo) #32

:grinning::grinning:
:+1::+1:

(Central Florida Bob ) #33

Beating the long dead horse just a little more, a Ph.D. statistician I read regularly took a good look at this study.

It’s not even worth being considered a real study.

(Alec) #34

The real story here is the media’s reaction to this “study”. It indicates 2 things:

1. The level of understanding in the media of what constitutes science worth reporting
  2. The level of industry-driven agendas being followed by the media

Bottom line, this study is just utter nonsense, and the media’s reaction is bought and paid for. We are being advertised to.

(Joey) #35

Couldn’t agree more. But in fairness, the media has two primary missions…

1 - Survey the battle field to kick the wounded.
2 - Sell stuff.

I’d say they’ve been doing a fabulous job.

As the old saying goes, it’s called a medium because it’s neither rare nor well done.

(Alec) #36

Absolutely. But if you asked the Average Joe out there what the media was there for, he would say: “to inform and entertain me”. That is why he believes what the media tell him. This is of course not everyone, but I would estimate this is 95% of people.

With so little critical thinking going on, the dark forces with a bad agenda have a pretty easy time. And because they are so powerful, they can afford to buy the media and hence buy the message that is conveyed.

Frankly, our liberal democracies are currently in a big mess, and it is getting worse. I cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel. And if I did, I would be looking down the tunnel very hard to make sure it wasn’t a train.

(Joey) #37

Well, at least they’d be half right.

(Geoffrey) #38

Turns out there never was an actual study.

(mike lisanke) #39

it was a poster session somewhere that AHA briefed the mainstream media about… not peer reviewed or even submitted for peer review. and it was a questionnaire from population of 2000 when nobody knew about IF and Keto except Weston. google and find Dr. Berry’s video

(Bob M) #40

That’s a nice analysis. And they relied on a freaking model, which pretty much is/are useless. If you don’t like the results? Just tweak the “model”.

Reminds me of a Malcolm Kendrick blog post where they had artificial intelligence look at the data for heart disease, and one of the worst predictors according to the AI model was LDL. Unfortunately, I can’t find the blog post. Maybe he didn’t use “Al”?