September 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

You are not wrong, BMI is only a number and my health is so much more complex than any number could quantify. I know that I feel better, my joints feel better, and I like the way I look better, at a lower weight. I am not sure how low I will wish to go, I will evaluate based on how I feel as I lose.

(Jane) #62

I think it is her goal, not a correlation. Certainly reasonable to me.

(Jane) #63

Exactly!

I am 60 and perfectly happy with the weight I stopped losing at (145, 5’ 2" so still in the overweight BMI category). But I like a little extra padding on me to fill out the wrinkles :laughing: and my waist is 10" smaller than my hips so I am also happy with how I look. I would have been happier with 20 lbs less if I were younger and that would put me in the normal BMI. My knees thank me for losing 40 lbs!!!

In spite of this… I had a PCP look at my “numbers”, tell me I needed to lose weight and to “cut out salt, eat low fat, healthy grains” blah, blah, blah. I was the thinnest person in her waiting room! I just smiled and nodded. I have more energy on keto at 60 than I did at 40!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #64

same for me at 65yo.

(Bob M) #65

Hmm…I did not realize I’ve been fasting as long as I have. According to my spreadsheet of blood tests, I had a blood test taken on 9/18/15 after 4.5 days fasting. I was thinking I’ve been fasting only 3 years, but it’s been over 4 years since I started intermittent and long term fasting. About 4.5 years, I think.

For me, fasting has gotten harder, not easier. Your mileage, of course, might vary.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #66

Hi guys. WHASSSSUUUUUUP

Re-Feeding for 3 to four days certainly is fine and actually quite smart.
Recommended: minimum 2 days of re-feeding, two meals each day

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #67

Thanks Brenda

(Failed) #68

I will be ending my 48 hour fast in about 90 minutes, when my sous vide ribeye steak is done. :cut_of_meat:

I haven’t checked my BG since Tues (it was 130) b/c I ran out of strips. I just checked it now, and it’s 89. Great NSV!

Thank you so much for posting this, one of my greatest fasting frustrations has been trying to figure out how long the refeed period should be. I tried just one day a few times and it was rough.

(KCKO, KCFO) #70

Same for me at 70 yrs.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #71

Ate dinner. Going for a48hr fast.
Before meal:
ISF: 67
BG: 64
BK: 1.2
GKI: 3.10

Obviously, I’m not @Brenda and I’m not a professional, but my personal experience has been that I do reasonably well if I have the same number of eating days as fasting days. But I’ve only ever done a longer (3-day) fast once, so I don’t really have a much too add regarding EF. I’ve mostly done a lot of 2-day fasts with two days of eating and some ADF.

I’ve finally found my fasting mojo again after it took an extended vacation this summer. I’ve gotten in the groove of ADF this week and today is my 3rd fasting day this week. I started after dinner last night, so I’m only about 13 hours in right now. Evenings are always a tough time for me, so hopefully, I’ll make it through this evening okay. Then tomorrow, I’m meeting a friend for brunch at 10am. I think that will make it about 38 hours.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #73

I’m about 16hrs into my fast.

Time ISF BG BK Notes
T0 64 57 1.2 Sept 6, before supper
T03 57 83 2.1
T12 82 89 0.7 Sept 7
T16 81 83 0.6

PCP’s are so out of touch sometimes. Just sad. It makes perfect sense to stop where you are most comfortable. I remember reading a study a while ago that showed people who were slightly overweight actually lived longer. The BMI is only one estimate, not definitive of anything. I am small boned and quite petite, I feel better and look better on the lighter side but not as light as 10 years ago, have to balance curves and wrinkles. :grinning:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #75

I’m about 35 hours into what will be a 48hr fast. Depending on how I’m feeling I may extend it out a bit longer. I’d really like to see my GKI go low for a longer time, although I don’t really know how necessary it is for autophagy and starving cancer cells.

Time: 27hr, ISF 59, BG 71, BK 1.9, GKI 2.07 (before bed)
Time: 35hr, ISF 71, BG 60, BK 1.8, GKI 1.85 (upon waking)

(Susan) #76

Awesome =) best wishes for going as long as you feel comfortable with =).

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #77

Just starting my EF for the week. Hope to get to at least 60hrs. Prefer 72. No known social obligations or weirdness to get in the way. It has been weeks since I was able to do an extended fast.

(Susan) #78

Awesome, Eric, best wishes for you to succeed with 60 hours. I myself started a 48 hour Fast at 5pm -planning to go at least until Tuesday night at 5pm.

I haven’t done any fasting for a little bit so figured 48 was a good start. I am planning on doing one 48 hour a week now and the 72 hour Zorn Fast once a month for now.

Best wishes to all of us that are Fasting atm.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #79

Stopped at 47hrs, just because it was more convenient than 48.

ISF: 57
BG: 60
BK: 2.7
GKI: 1.23

(Susan) #80

That is great =) .