Seem to be regressing. Any ideas would be great

(Jessie) #1

Hi there, i am new to this forum. Thanks for having me.
I’ve been on Keto for 4 months this week. I’ve lost 40 and have about 40 more to go. When I first started after the “flu” I gained so much energy and I never craved any carbs. I no longer had to take a nap and i was feeling fantastic. Over the last month I have started to feel tired again, sluggish and craving carbs. I am doing the same thing I’ve veen doing since the start but now I want to nap and eat more carbs than normal. I want to stay on Keto as long as I can but everyday seems to be getting hard. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what to do.

(Erica Ramirez) #2

Not giving advice but I’ll tell you what worked for me…I am on week 13. Less than 20 carbs a day, have lost same as you and have about the same left to go. I was feeling great, but then started feeling tired, unmotivated and just deflated (about the last week or 2). Last night, I chose to have 2 slices of pepperoni pizza, 3 garlic bread knots and dessert (plenty lol). I woke up this am, weighed myself like I do every morning (dreading it) and I weighed exactly the same! I was so happy! I felt a little swollen (that happens when I eat bread) so then I soaked in an epsom salt bath. I have fasted all day today just to kickstart my keto going forward, but I have no hunger, no stomach issues and most importantly I feel “Re-motivated”. My blood keto level was 1.2 at noon and glucose 4.4 (80).
So, it worked for me but may not for everyone I guess.

(Jessie) #3

Thanks Ketom. So, you technically did a “carb up” day followed by a fast and then right back into Keto again? I am super nervous about eating that many carbs not for the weight gain but because I’m scared I’ll get that taste back and won’t be able to stop. But you are saying you had no problem going right back to it? I have been craving French fries and ice cream lol. Maybe tomorrow I will just go for it and pray I don’t completely fall off the wagon.

(Ron) #4

Time to change things up. Different eating schedule, Intermittent fasting, feast and fast routine, etc. The body adapts to consistency.

Sleep on that decision? I just worry that what works for one person doesn’t work for everyone and you regret it. Sleep on it?

(Jessie) #6

Definitely going to sleep on it. I have a addictive personality. I get addicted to everything very quickly and I was so addicted to sugar for so long.

Have you gone through your diet? Your explaining what happens when carbs wind up back in your diet. The crashes, the carb cravings, the energy. Give us an idea what you’re eating and if you have macro goals list those too.

(Jessie) #8

Pretty much eat the same thing every day.

Eggs avocado and bacon in the morning

A salad with meat cheese walnuts for lunch

Meat veggies for dinner

If I snack I usually snack on nuts, cheese or occasionally berries.

I used to track my macros faithfully but I stopped at the end of my second month because I basically eat the same thing every day.

Now with that said. As for “cheating” On Friday nights I always steal a small piece my husbands fried fish. And on Thursdays I always have handful of popcorn at volleyball. On the weekends I sometimes drink but it’s only vodka soda. If I have craving for chocolate I have very dark chocolate chips and I might take a small handful of

I am still losing weight every week. but my cravings are crazy lately and I’m tired

(Ron) #9

I might suggest you go back to tracking your carb intake as it sounds to me like you might be higher than you think (veggies, salads, choco, popcorn, breaded fish, etc.)
You can lose weight eating a deficit caloric intake and not be in ketosos. I suspect that your not fat adapted and your body is using glucose for fuel. This will cause you to have glucose cravings whenever there is not enough for the body to draw on, and since you have reduced your sugar consumption some (not enough to be ketonic though) your body is deprived of the glucose required and is telling you that it needs more.

Are you hungry for all three meals and snacks throughout the day, or eating out of habit? This murder mystery seems as though carbs is the culprit.

Have you recalculated your macro needs since dropping the weight?

(Edith) #12

Another thought: are you eating fat to satiety? Are you putting butter, oil, or mayo on your food to increase the fat grams?

(Jessie) #13

You are all probably right. The only reason why I am not understanding is because I have been doing the same thing since day one. I always struggle to get enough fats even when I was calculating faithfully and I probably eat more carbs on Thursday and Friday than I should but I have been doing it since day one. I can try to cut out those things on Thursday and Friday but it’s something that I really look forward to and I am still losing weight. I do not give in to craving. Not ever. So I think I can ignore them. However the energy loss is what bothers me.

(Jessie) #14

My cravings are mostly in the afternoon but I never give into them. Not ever. But I am also tired at that time where the past few months I’ve had a ton of energy

(Jessie) #15

You are probably right. Probably still losing because of calorie count. However I’ve been on this for 4 months and I have ate the fish cholcoatr and popcorn since day one. I used to measure my ketones by Blood strip for the first 2 months. I was consistantly in ketosis. I stopped though because it was too pricy. Maybe I can buy some strips and see where I am in ketosis.

(Bunny) #16

A lesson learned well, you are not just powered by ketones from eating fat?

1. Lack of nutrient density is one serious danger of ketosis - Dr. Terry Wahls
  1. Keto Micronutrients: How to Avoid Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies On a Ketogenic Diet
  1. Intermittent Fasting - I feel tired, sluggish

Are there nutrients in body fat?
(Allie) #17

The body adapts when always do the same thing, variety is essential.

(Jessie) #18

I think you are right. Have any suggestions on how to make it different?

This may not work for bonafide food addicts, but here’s what my family does.

I practice delayed gratification. When I have a craving, I tell myself I can’t have it now but I can have it later. Depending on what it is, later might be the next hour or the next day. Most of the time, the urge goes away before the deadline arrives. If it doesn’t, then it’s something I really want and I will have it. This means there’s nothing off limits, which is physiologically essential to long term sustainability for me keeping the weight I’ve lost off.

My mom is a master of the one bite method. She says the first spoonful is this most enjoyable. When it comes to treats or anything off plan, she’ll limit it to that amount. She’ll savior and be satisfied with a spoonful of sweet potatoe pie or a fork of mac& cheese or half a cheese biscuit. The small amount will not take her out of ketosis. She’s never been overweight, but like many female Boomers, has to put in effort to not gain.

My sister has 1 day a week where she eats whatever she wants. This window is sufficient to deal with any cravings or boredom/repetitiveness her normal diet may have. Admittedly, she is normal weight with a low A1c, and using ketosis for it’s neuro protective benefits.

My dad eats 1 or 2 meals a day, which is sufficient time for his pancreas to process whatever he eats. He’s not eating junk, but it’s not super low carb. He has to put effort into not losing weight while in ketosis.

(Allie) #20

Look at different recipes for ideas, talk to other keto people to see what they do. There really are no limits once you’re used to the way keto works.