Are there nutrients in body fat?

(Linda) #1

I encountered this sentence on a messageboard. My googlefu is usually pretty good, but I had not much luck finding an answer.

Is this statement true?

“Yes, your body does use fat for energy. The only problem is that there is no nutrition in fat. There are no vitamins or minerals or electrolytes that your body needs to function.”

Yes it’s quite nutricious

While I don’t know the answer to that, I do know that fat aids in the absorption of many nutrients

(Bunny) #4

YES very true, this may provide some answers:

(Ron) #5

Here is what chrono gives me on 4 cups of beef fat.

(Bunny) #6

Curious, is that pure fat or broth with fat on those macronutrient read-outs (targets?)?

(Ron) #7

Pure beef fat.

(Ron) #8

Here is 4 cups pure chicken fat for comparison.

(Ron) #9

I find it interesting that the beef fat has protein and the chicken fat has no protein.:thinking:

Many other differences, good example of why to mix it up.:crazy_face:

(Bunny) #10

Yes, very interesting! Definitely mix it up?

Since were on the subject thought this might be of interest:

Micro vs. Macronutrients & How Much You Need of Each So what’s the difference between the two? Macronutrients can be classified as carbohydrates, fats and proteins. These specific nutrients provide our bodies with the energy-giving caloric components that we are so familiar with when we talk about counting calories. Micronutrients, on the other hand, are what exist within those larger building blocks. Micronutrients contain vitamins, trace minerals, antioxidants, etc. These micronutrients are vital to the health of our bodies.

While all foods contain fat, protein or carbohydrates, not all foods contain a large amount of micronutrients. This can be damaging if we only consume foods with low amounts of micronutrients. A diet in processed food, for example, is very low in micronutrients. However, a diet rich in vegetables, fruits and unprocessed animal products (organic and grass-fed) is extremely high in micronutrients and therefore more beneficial for the health of our bodies.[1] …More

(Linda) #11

Especially with some fava beans and a nice chianti!

(Linda) #12

Thanks Ron. I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me to check there. So at least beef fat is very similar to the protein parts for many things. Of course this doesn’t tell us anything about burning our own fat. I did see somewhere that we do store some fat soluble vitamins in fat so presumably they would be released when we empty the fat cells. I’m gonna go check for lard to see what’s there. I’ll be back.

(Mike W.) #13

Seems like the perfect OMAD.

(Linda) #14

Lard is kinda like the chicken fat. Not much there besides energy. I don’t think the cronometer is gonna have much info on Linda fat. :wink:

(Brian) #15

Quite interesting. Eating pure fat alone is not something I’ve done very often. My fat intake is almost always with something else, often protein of some kind or a non-starchy veggie. I’d never considered that burning the fat I’ve stored around my midsection would be devoid of anything but energy.

(Linda) #16

Actually, regarding lard, it is rendered and probably isn’t the same as actual pork fat straight from Babe or Wilbur. Just checked and pork fat is quite like the beef fat for protein, b vitamins and even some others.

(Mike W.) #17

Curious though, why are there nutrients stored in the animals fat but not ours?

(Linda) #18

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that they probably are. So the person I quoted at the beginning of the thread is probably wrong.

I started keto in march and had a fantastic 4 weeks, lost 8lbs (although I’m learning now that may have been water loss) but the concept of non scale victories (NSV) was my best win - never felt hungry, never craved sweets, slept soundly first time in years. THEN, bought a “sugar free” sweetener and went on a total carbinge and gave up keto in emotional disgust at my lack of will power - not very gentle or compassionate and completely self- sabataging (a familiar pattern for me). Am back because it works, and am reading loads to re-programme my thinking. I would suggest, don’t give up. This is not a weekly or even monthly thing. This is not even a way of eating (WOE) It’s a very beneficial long-term way of life (WOL). KCKO. Keep Calm and Keto On (I’m even learning the lingo🤣

(Sarah Bruhn) #20

Vitimins A, D, K, E are stored in fat. We synthesis K in our Gut, plus D3 and Niacin.
B12 is stored in the liver, small amounts of Folic acid and most other B vitimins are stored mainly in the liver (yes boys and girls, eat your liver!)
We store minerals in many tissues including but not exclusive to bone and muscle.
I think we can handle short fasts surviving on our body stores as long as we also feast and replenish.