Secret Life of Fat

(Scott McKissock) #1

Anyone have a take on this?

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Life-Fat-Science-Understood/dp/0393244830

great informative book without any agenda. a good read for sure.

(Todd Allen) #3

I binge read this book. It’s not about food or dieting. It’s the story of our rapidly changing understanding of body fat from merely a tissue for storing energy to a vital organ affecting the endocrine system, nervous system, immune system, reproductive system and even our muscles and bones. It’s an introduction to many recent scientific discoveries about fat presented as stories of discovery without delving that deep into the science itself making it a very accessible fun read.

It won’t tell you what to eat, or how to fix your health or achieve your goals but it will likely expand your understanding of how your body works and perhaps increase your love or at least your respect for your body’s fat.

(carl) #4

Purchased

(Jane Reed) #5

Jimmy Moore interviewed the author on Feb. 7, his LLVLC podcast #1217.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #6

I see she is a PhD. What is her special field?

Edit: A couple of reviewers on the UK Amazon site made the point that the first part of the book is good, but it falls flat in the 2nd part, where she apparently can only suggest “starving” - this is what she apparently does to get into her skinny jeans. Still, it might be worth buying for the first part of the book.

(Jane Reed) #7

Author is a biochemist and works as a
“healthcare management consultant”. I’ve always wondered what a person with that job actually does.

(momzbusy2012) #8

I listened to the book on audible (highly recommend as she reads very well). I would really like to see her write a second book on possible solutions to getting off of the yo-yo of losing and gaining fat. I’d like to read more about the effects of ketosis and intermittent fasting (for example) on changing the disposition to gaining fat.

On a side note: Here’s a link to a video that makes more sense now that I listened to her book:

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #9

I’m reading this book now and 'am just blown away how doctors and researchers have had inklings of what’s going on with fat for several decades but were shut down and shunned for heresy (and also​ just for being female in one case). I’m also stunned at how only recently fat and hormone research has gained real traction in the last couple of decades. This book has helped me put at lot of the puzzle pieces together.