Second attempt at Carnivore

(James H Shaffer) #1

a year ago I tried to do carnivore, had just come off losing 170 lbs in 9 months on keto and I think I was burnt out of dieting at that point, had really busted tail getting to that point and just could not do it, at that point I decided to just try to maintain the best I could and now a year later I am mentally ready to do this, week in and all is going well, going to give it a few weeks before I start tracking weight, and just taking my time with it. plan on this going thru the rest of the year and in to next year and maybe even til spring depending on how this goes, want to get below 250, then in to the low 200ā€™s and go from there. so far I feel good and experimenting with the types of meat and prep, so all is somewhat new. slowly weeding out the zero carb drinks I have and will use up the remaining cheese I have and will go with out it for a while to see if it maters for me.

(Susan) #2

Good luck in going Carnivore, there are certainly a lot of Carnivores on the forum that will be able to give you advice, so best wishes =).

('Jackie P') #3

Wow 170lbs in 9 months is amazing. I think its good to let your body adjust to that kind of weight loss as you have.
I hope you enjoy the carnivore WOE and have the success you want. I am sure you will.

(Bob M) #4

I keep trying to go carnivore, but I keep staying at about 90% carnivore. For instance, last week on one day, the only vegetable I had was two fermented pickles. On other days, I have more.

The thing I notice, though, is that some plants cause me allergy symptoms. I think mustard, or perhaps mustard and onions, cause allergy symptoms. Itā€™s hard to track, though. I do know spicy food causes immediate allergy symptoms.

On the other hand, I find keto can be a challenge, especially eating out or on vacation, and I think carnivore would be even harder. Thatā€™s a challenge I havenā€™t figured out how to resolve.

Back to ZC/Carnivore myself. I did it lazy style for a while earlier this year and same for a while last year. I realized I feel better eating this way. This time around Iā€™m starting out with way less dairy, actually only good quality butter for the time being. Also trying to stick to cleaner meats, I was going to keep going with the salamis and sausages but decided instead to go with unprocessed meat as much as possible (at least in the beginning). About a week or so in now, I didnā€™t write down when I started because I never seem to do that. I couldnā€™t tell you when I started keto eitherā€¦ it just kinda happened.

Weā€™ll see how this goes. So far Iā€™ve felt pretty darned awesome.

I also decided to give it a 2nd chance 2 days ago. This time quite clean - only not processed meat with salt, butter and eggs. I want to try it for a month but honestly, I doubt it that I will be able to do it for so long. I do not knowā€¦ I just want to observe carefully how I am gonna feel :slight_smile: I am not doing it at any cost, thoughā€¦ If I start feeling weird, I will stop.

Welcome back and good luck!

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

HI! If you feel anything weird just come and ask some questions. Many of us have been doing this plan a long timeā€¦our experience might give you some help if needed.

Thank you :slight_smile: So far so good - only 3 days in, but at least I do not feel hungry (and I always do :)). I think I feel quite well, because now I have ways more proteins - I am not trying to keep them in moderation anymore. But I do not want to be overwhelmed or to make any conclusions yet - still too soon.

absolutely. donā€™t count your chickensā€¦I get that :slight_smile:

Protein and fat is massively important and not limiting what you love to eat will give you that satiety we all like.

Donā€™t forget your salt. very important. Canā€™t wait to hear further reports on your journey!

No, I will not skip the salt! Since I started keto I am using it in abundance :slight_smile:

Anyway, I will definitely report the results of this experiment at some point.
Hopefully it will be better now than my 1st try.

Looking forward to your updates. :smiley:

also, just some chat to considerā€¦ā€¦.and we are all just so massively different in what carnivore has to heal in our bodies. that is why some say no good results or weight loss or get any changes they see others experiencingā€”say about 20 days in that they observe and they blame the menu. Nope.

Carnivore eating heals the body from within. It heals first, corrects inside, then it tackles other systems and symptoms as it has to progress into that process.

Some have to be 90 days on carnivore to lose some lbs and get other results. Some it happens for quickly. Some it has taken easily up to a year to be healed more before the body shows massive outward good results like weight loss and more. No 2 are alike and it canā€™t ever be expected.

Everyone will experience their own timeline. No one is ever on another personā€™s timeline for healing the body as carnivore does.

That is why when someone says it isnā€™t working for me a lot of us carns will say, just keep going, just keep goingā€¦and no one wants to hear this LOL who doesā€¦but it is the truth that time on this plan will change you and benefits will come. Things are so different for all cause carnivore heals from within and none of us are identical on that avenue.

just some thoughts :slight_smile:

(Elizabeth ) #15

Thatā€™s why itā€™s so helpful for me to be in groups where there are five and 10 and 20 year veterans. And the admins with their own ten + years experiences that have coached and helped thousands are, in my opinion, the best sources. Iā€™m 63 now, and have been on this health journey for 3 and 1/2 years. Iā€™m not expecting that to reverse 40 years of damage. also, I find that people that look at this way of eating as a diet are probably not going to be around 6 months to a year from now. I define myself as carnivore itā€™s who I am not what I do? If that makes sense? As somebody with an abstainer personality, that is, all or nothing, it works for me. Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve never cheated, it doesnā€™t even enter into my mind. Honestly, I would love to be able to eat raspberries and chocolate and peaches and asparagus and some of those other yummy things. But thatā€™s just not who I am anymore. Really, more power to you if you are able to tolerate those things. Some of us just canā€™t.

Wonderful post E.

I absolutely understand where you are coming from.

I was never a moderator. I have to be an abstainer.

My reasons have changed as I walked into carnivore tho.

before it was who can eat just a small bowl of potote chips? I needed the bag. I wanted dessert after any mealā€¦that was me and I desired it. But it wasnā€™t a small bowl of ice cream. I could suck down 1/2 a gallon in short time. So ā€˜when I dieted the old wayā€™ I had to abstain cause I could not moderate.

Now there is no moderation or abstain. I eat so well on carnivore and the cravings are gone. Just non-existent. This gives an abstainer an advantage. We donā€™t have to crave anything and pretend we can moderate itā€¦we just abstain from it cause we donā€™t want it anymore.

Then I adopted true science behind carnivore type eating. Why veg are so inflammatory and toxic to the system. Why we donā€™t need anything but protein and fat for physical survival. Why one carb is not needed for the human body. This backstory on it all help set my ways.

Carnivore is who I am also. Not what I do.

Ok, guys.

Just a shot update here since I mentioned I will post it :slight_smile:

This carnivore diet is definitely not for me. This time again only 8 days. Thatā€™s it! :slight_smile: After this period I constantly feel hungry and not because I miss calories, fats or whatever, but because I just waaantt something other than meat or fish or eggs (ā€¦although I am never tired of eggs specifically). Wellā€¦ I know that technically I can also have other things like cheese or milk and still be ā€œcarnivoreā€ but even with these products I miss nuts, for example.

I really admire your will :slight_smile: I do not know how can you do it. Donā€™t you miss all these other foodsā€¦?

As I said, with me it is not only the mental craving and the taste.
At some point I just stop feeling satiated with meat only and I start eating too much food even though I am supposed to have already had enoughā€¦Crazy.

Oh, and I am sorry for the off-topic but I noticed another problem and I do not know if it might be related to this. I do not know if it is because of the fall, or the keto, or the carnivore but my hair started falling so badly :frowning: I have read on different places that this might happen on keto but I have been on this diet for more than 4 months now (with a couple of carnivore and low carb- high fat but out of ketosis experiments) and I have never had this problemā€¦until the last couple of weeks. During these months it stopped falling at all and even got thickerā€¦but nowā€¦ I thought that all these proteins must have a positive effect on it.

So, in brief, the experiment is over. Not carnivore anymore :slight_smile:

Hi Nadia, thank you for sharing your experience with us here. Were you keeping your healthy fats relatively high while trying carnivore? Just wanted to make sure you remembered to do that. :slight_smile:

When I was contemplating carnivore I was wondering how Iā€™d do without my nuts. There are a lot of yummy foods, like nuts, that are allowed on the regular keto diet that I really enjoyed eating. The thing isā€¦I value my health a lot (which is why I did regular keto for 3 years) and regular keto just wasnā€™t getting it done. The entire time I did regular keto and enjoyed my nuts I kept losing a lot of hair. Folks said it would slowly taper off. It didnā€™t. I also had auto-immune issues that keto didnā€™t help or resolve. Thatā€™s why I decided to try carnivore.

I donā€™t even miss those nuts/high oxalates now because I love the health benefits Iā€™m seeing. I love the simplicity of carnivore too. BUTā€¦if youā€™re doing great on regular keto then if it works donā€™t fix it. :smile: Iā€™m glad you gave carnivore a try though, and thank you for sharing your results with us.
:heart:

Hi Nadia, well you gave it a shot. Itā€™s not for everyone.
Thanks for letting us know how you are doing. I wish you luck and hope you find what works for you.
Take care!

It works or it doesnā€™tā€¦but ya never know you might be back LOL as I did a few times while finding where my path lay! best of luck to you!