Second attempt at Carnivore

(Justin) #21

I’ve done keto off an on for ten years. Just started trying carnivore. I was absolutely miserable after just 3 days then I ate some medium rare cows liver I fried in bacon fat. It was like instant euphoria. I’m not exaggerating. My body was in desperate need of what ever was in that. I started making deviled eggs with liver I ground in food processor “pate”. the cow liver is a little sweet but it adds to the goodness. That is my go-to food cow liver pate deviled eggs. But I must confess, I didn’t start carnivore for any autoimmune disorders so if I want a pickle or freaking garlic, I refuse to accept I have failed. It’s that kind of rigid belief system that is the start of many a-binge

(Elizabeth ) #22

Good on you Eat what makes you feel best. trust me if I could eat asparagus and raspberries and chocolate I’d be doing that. Even garlic and seasonings don’t work for me anymore. There’s no gold medal for being carnivore in fact most people who eat this way don’t really want to we just do it because we have to. If you can eat vegetables and even breads and fruits more power to you :slight_smile:

(Edith) #23

Can you post your recipe?

So happy you found what your body was needing!! It makes a difference when you do find a food that jump starts your body and you get that instant great result in feeling so much better!

Absolutely.

Now some science for newer carnivores :slight_smile: A beginner coming into carnivore 100% should absolutely try their darnest to be just that. Only because then you are not one of those ‘on and off again plan users’ who might miss great benefits from jumping on and off plan. And also when we start carnivore we truly need and want it to go into true ‘elimination’ mode of foods…for a good period of time…so if we do ‘add back a pickle’ every now and then you can truly see how that pickle might be effecting you.

So staying very tight to plan for a while has importance. It has nothing to do with willpower. Not anything about ‘failure’, ‘oh I cheated’, and all that mind game stuff………it is seeing what eliminated foods you have not eaten and if you decide to eat a little later how will it effect your body. Then you know your personal comfort level with that food and what it does to you…could be you get ill effects off it that you never knew would happen if you eliminated it for a while and add it back or you could be one who can eat that easily every now and then when ya want and do well on it. But that is why carnivore people say give it a fair shake 100% on plan in the beginning for a while cause then you get this bonus of being on a true elimination menu and when you reintroduce some foods you see them for their truth to you personally. There are true reasons behind it all when someone says stay strict to plan for a bit :slight_smile:

For me my personal ‘many a binge’ starter is the fact that I re-introduce some carbs on my menu. The being strict and rigid system isn’t just a belief, it is a true place I need to be due to carbs and blood sugar swings and all that. Mental games also. Give me back a little and I want it all back LOL So we each are so individual on that one and I get it!

and remember also on carnivore you can have a Dirty Carnivore day.

and it never means the person is dirty or nasty or wrong. It has nothing to do with the person ever :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I think this gets misunderstood a lot.
Dirty means you muddied up the meal plan. You were not 100% carnivore for that day. You choose a dirty carnivore day…nothing more than that. No different than a Keto person deciding to have a Dirty Keto day and eat something way off plan. So don’t attach a horrible tag to a Dirty Carnivore :slight_smile: People sometimes walk there a little and it is ok in my opinion.

AND THAT IS OK because we all have a choice to be 100% on plan any day or have a dirty carn day. It is no big deal…it is also a way for many to learn what sets well with them and what foods could trigger and send you off on a tangent and more. Everyone is human, there will be trial and error on any given day for all of us.

The pickle is off plan eating…the garlic is not :slight_smile: Many carnivores can handle some herbs and spice etc. in their cooking process of their meats.

Off plan foods are FOOD we eat as a true food. On plan foods are spice/herbs/some condiments we use ON our food…it is not an actual food main meal like adding minced garlic to a steak so carnivores who can use them and want do.

Use the carnivore plan to detox, as a true elimination menu and give it time to work for you and then do some experiments on what extra you might want to try to reintroduce…it is ok to do that. No one has failed :slight_smile: It is about personal experiments on yourself.

Disclaimer, LOL, since this is a carnivore thread I am giving personal carnivore experiences and why being strict on carnivore in the beginning is so important to gain those benefits it can give. Give them a fair shake to work as needed. Follow the bit of guidelines that want to give you the best of the plan and then everyone just takes it from there as each of us must do for ourselves.

Like Elizedge said and I so agree with her cause this is how I must roll also thru experience…….I walked into the carnivore way of eating because I must be here. It suits me the best in life. If I could inhale a monster chunk of lasagna and a giant loaf of crispy garlic bread I would. I know what it would do to me also and it ain’t pretty by any means :slight_smile: After many years on carnivore I also know the few things I can add back and do very well on rarely…I also know where I can not go and never will. I know I can have a dirty carnivore day and do well on a few things…all thru that first elimination process and all thru giving the plan a true effort in the beginning and then experimenting on me a bit.

I loved your post Justin!!! You sound excited to feel well and are doing your thing to make it work for you :slight_smile:

(Justin) #25

Well said, I must confess my ignorance as if it is not obvious. A little self awareness goes a long way. I appreciate the explanation well thought out explanation and I’m happy to know I can consume garlic derivatives with a clear conscience. It just goes to show there is only so much Greek gods can teach you on youtube.

Liver in deviled eggs, what a great idea, I surely will try that! I kind of like deviled eggs but it’s so troublesome to add every spices and whatever I find at home to make it really nice (I don’t like dry egg yolks), it will be much better with some liver. Oh, possibilities!
I can be pretty creative when it’s about my food but who knows if I ever would think about this so thank you! :smiley:

(traci simpson) #27

So today is day 1 of my carnivore challenge. Not sure how long I will last, particularly, since Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner! I don’t even know if I packed enough food for lunch today. It’s all cooked in bacon grease and butter so I hope so.

(Justin) #28

I’d be happy to, but it will take some time, I’m working 12 hour shifts and it is a lot of typing on my phone. It is really a customized hybrid of a patē recipe and a paté deviled eggs my ratio is 12 oz of liver to 18 eggs. I had a lot of “deviled” left over to much to fit on 36 egg white half’s. So I purchased some silicon almost muffin pan but they are spheres little bigger than a half an egg. I plan on buying plain egg whites in carton and making the egg white part so I can use up the left over deviled part I had to store in freezer. If I boiled more eggs I would have that many more yolk to deal with and I like the liver part more. The yolk soak up all the salty flavor from the pate recipe so I added half a tbls more to the deviled recepie. I also added a teaspoon of red pepper which was of but I might try something different. I like liver anyway so it doesn’t need much help.

I am a little nervous for myself with Thanksgiving events… because it’s not just one feast… it’s a work potluck this Thursday, and then two separate family Thanksgivings on Thurs/Friday of the actual week of Thanksgiving. :sob: I wasn’t attempting to be “mostly carnivore” until 2019, so last Thanksgiving, my goal was just to downgrade from strict keto to “mostly keto” (but stay 100% gluten free ) and I did accomplish that. But this year, ugh, I don’t know… it’s just going to be so weird sitting with all my co-workers with a giant plate of turkey with butter on top, and nothing else. lol… I’m bringing cauliflower mac and cheese as my contribution to the potluck, so I’m debating whether I will have some or not. I really don’t want to deviate because then I have the same dilemma the next week at my mother-in-law’s house and if I don’t eat enough variety she will have SOO MANY annoying comments for me (mostly implying I’m not eating enough, and that I can’t possibly be satisfied with my choices…) So to be honest, it’s not at all about the temptation. It’s about the awkwardness from other people. I could just decide to stick to my guns and not care.

edit: oops, sorry to the OP for this not really being related to your journey - lol… I replied to someone’s comment without paying attention to what thread it was in.

(Justin) #30

No worries, but since we are talking liver… I found this other recipe called the 50/50/50 burger. It is worth sharing to say the least. It is 1 pound of ground beef, 1 pound of bacon and one pound of liver. The bacon and liver is ground together in a food processor or meat grinder to the consistency of the ground beef. The bacon cooperates if it is almost frozen. The bacon seasons all of it so no salt necessary, I added a tbls of Italian seasoning. I tried to make burger patties but they feel apart. Should have put whole thing in freezer first untill harder. Nevertheless I just pan fried the mixture like Browning regular ground beef. I thought all that fat from bacon would make everything slimy but the liver really soaked it up. I was left with the most amazing nutritious bowl of goodness. I didn’t even have to drain it but I didn’t over cook it either. When everything lost its redness and turned grey I took it off the heat. That was how I was able to not drop all the fat out of the bacon. If anyone makes this I would love to know if you loved it as much as I did. The liver flavor blends in nicely and is really muttled if your not a fan.

(Justin) #31

I calculated the calories to be 1450 for 1/3 of finished product. Final product weigh 2 lbs 11 ounces. I used raw calorie data since I didn’t discard the drippings. If you separate the serving size, put in a bowl with a lid, turn the bowl upside down the fat sinks to the top so when you heat it up in microwave it coats everything nicely with having to mix it. But again it’s not as greasy as you might think.

That sounds interesting to me since I’m already eating organ meats ground together with my ground beef. You mentioned the calories. Did you happen to calculate the fat and protein macros? If I was regular carnivore it wouldn’t matter but because of auto-immune issues I’m doing the Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet (PKD). Bacon in just about anything is usually a win. :smiley:

Welcome to a new carnivore challenge, Traci :slight_smile: You’re a brave soul for taking it on at this time of the year, lol.

Welcome

You made a wonderful point here. It is 1000% percent all about you. As much as I get the pressure, comments, annoying whatever we all have endured thru our personal journeys, I have to say it all falls on what you want for yourself.

I mean if someone is standing there saying drink this cup of hot tea with poison and I made it just for you…do we smile and do it cause it was made with love on a holiday?

I know, I know LOL…but sometimes I have to think of it like that for me.

A personal journey is just. We detour when we need to, we excuse and deny some things cause it is convenient when we have to cope with big situations to get thru and all those coping mechanisms we all do…

but one thing it boils down to is what do you want and why?

when you answer that with a hard, honest, truthful, loving and compassionate statement in your personal journey, then it gets so much easier to power thru the awkwardness, the comments and more because they will never mean as much to you as your personal truth statement to yourself on how you want to live your life and what you want from it.

No one lives in your body. No one is you. You are you :slight_smile: and you darn well do whatever it is that suits you as you need!

I know you will do good getting thru the social situations. I am long term now and I already ‘quieted down’ those skeptics in my life. They don’t dare question me anymore or try to put food in my mouth, but I had time to walk that path and finally put myself first in how I live my life…so I put in my time on that insanity LOL you will find your path well also!!

just some opinions on what it takes and how we gotta roll on a very personal journey which really should never be derailed by others for us.

just some chat on it all :slight_smile:

(Justin) #35

29% protein, 67% fat, 4% carbs from liver

(Elizabeth ) #36

(traci simpson) #37

We will see!

(Susan) #38

Good luck, Traci =).

(traci simpson) #39

Thanks Susan!
First thing I learned today is that I didn’t pack enough food! LOL No worries though because it’s almost 3pm and I’ll be home by 5 and I can eat more!

(Susan) #40

Carnivore seems to work for a lot of people on the forum, so this might be really great for you too =). There are even Carnivore Chaffles so those would be really cool to make for a Hamburger =). There are lots of options that are yummy for carnivores and it certainly seems to be very satiating so I hope that this will work out well =).