Seared Scallops on Bed of Crispy Bacon

bacon
seafood
scallop

Another stupid easy and fast seafood recipe…and oh so delicious!

First chop up some bacon and put in cold pan. Crank heat up and start the crisping and fat rendering process. My preference for this recipe was to slice the bacon thin, to end up with crispy strings of bacon

Cook the bacon to your desired level of crispness. I wanted to achieve a crispy bed of bacon bits beneath a bed of pillowy soft scallops

Remove bacon when it us cooked

Transfer a few spoons of rendered bacon grease to another pan, through sieve to remove any bits. I did this to have more control over frying the scallops (they have a tendency to stick and lose their crispy skin, and bacon bits could scorch and ruin the taste)

Bring bacon oil to scorching high temperature

Meanwhile, dry scallops surface. Then salt and pepper all sides

Transfer scallops to scorching hot grease in pan

Cook about 3 minutes each side. CAREFULLY flip the scallops over, without losing their gorgeous brown seared skin. When done, place on a bed of crispy bacon. Here is the final plating

Close up of seared scallops

Close up of perfect bite. Note that scallop was done to perfection, as center of scallop slight raw, as well as pillowy soft and juicy. Fresh squeeze of lemon juice brings taste to a whole new level, too!

ZC What did you eat today?
(Jacquie) #2

Beautiful! Scallops and bacon are a wonderful combo. Love the sweetness of the scallop and the somewhat raw centre. We get wonderfully large tender Digby scallops here. Very good raw, too. :slight_smile:

Yummers. Lovely bonus to have living on the coast!!

32 day ZC Variable Protein Test
(bulkbiker) #4

damn that looks great!

(Arlene) #5

I am not a fan of seafood, but I may have to try this. Looks fabulous. You could have your own food channel. Beautiful pics.

(Roxanne) #6

Oooo…I have scallops in the freezer that need eating…and of course I have bacon!!!

(Marc) #7

It looks great! Good choice of food. I need to eat more scallops…

Lucky, lucky you!!! Hahahaha

Yeah, I like to give a showcase platform to the forgotten protein heroes

Variety in life makes it more worth living I guess :slight_smile:

The good thing about scallops is that they are not “fishy” or “marine” tasting that puts a lot of people off with other seafood products. Scallops and steak is a really great combo. If I see it on a menu at a restaurant, I gravitate toward that. It’s a bit of a pain in the butt to do at home, because you have to time the cooking of the steak and scallops just right so that they both are delivered hot and ready at the same time. Not easy. So, at the restaurant, I make them do all that difficult timing activity.

(Bacon for the Win) #11

ok, that looks like something I need to try. I have scallops in the freezer and there is always plenty of bacon.

Looks awesome! Can you share what the green leafy garnish is on the finished plate, please? Scallions? Thanks!!

@BBark
Yes, I used scallions (also known as green onions) to give a bit of green colour for artistic look.

However, I cut the scallions on a bias…gives more visual interest than the boring (and common) perpendicular cut. I just went in the kitchen right now, pulled out some scallion from my fridge, and here below are examples of the two types of cuts:

First started out with cleaning the scallions, removing roots and dead leaves

On right side is the cut on the bias, and on the left side is the perpendicular cut. The bias cut is much more visually appealing

Thanks! Great pics too.

(Failed) #15

I’ve tried making seared scallops, but they release too much water. I’ve done research and understand why, treated with achemical to make them freeze better, but there’s nothing else available around here.

Is there a way to remove this excess water before searing?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #16

@DeeCS Slice them about 1/2” thick and don’t crowd the pan. The water that’s thrown off needs to easily evaporate so you don’t steam the scallops making them not brown well. Pat them dry and press out any liquid that will easily come out. :man_cook:t4:

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Adam ) #17

So I made this recipe for dinner tonight omg all I know is that I was disappointed that I didn’t have more scallops to cook they where amazing thanks for the recipe I’ll be making it again for sure

(Susan) #18

That is great, Adam. There are tons of great recipe ideas on the forum, I am sure that you can find many more that you love as well =).

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #19

That’s looks Freaking awesome ! :slightly_smiling_face: Good job !

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #20

But hey BTW, were these real scallops ? I don’t mean, as opposed to artificial… I mean, as opposed to a cut from any other kind of firm meated fish ? One example would be meat from the wings of a stingray.
I’ve heard that many scallops are actually the latter, and many taste really good in spite of this…