Science on exercising during a 14 day water fast

(Jason Cordier) #1

Hi all,

I am just finishing day three of my intended 14 day water fast where only electrolytes and water are being consumed. I have exercised all three days (I am very body aware, will not ever push myself if feel something is off, and thus far have had no problems at all) doing weights and low to moderate intensity cardio. My question is, going forward should exercise continue (tapered to energy levels) if I feel good? I believe HGH spikes at 72 hours, so after this point am I at greater risk when doing weights of going from anabolic to catabolic muscle process given the no protein is consumed? Is their sufficient protein produced from the glycerol spine of triglyceride to make wight lifting beneficial? Furthermore, is cardio advisable if I do low intensity exercise like zone two training (180 bpm minus age)? During my shorter three day fasts I exercise as much as I can and have fantastic results. I however fear that an extended fast is a different beast, and I would appreciate advice on my questions.

Much appreciated.

Jason

I did a 22 day water only fast and exercised regularly. My understanding is that the fasting protocols used in Russia involves 3 hours of exercise daily, the belief being that the exercise helps the body eliminate toxins. I find I recover from exercise better when fasting, experiencing no or low doms. I think the answer to your catabolic question may be try it and see. If you have sufficient body fat to fuel your workout you should be fine. Studies show increased muscle development during fasted workouts, that’s why I time my workouts for fasting days, particularly day 3, 5, 7, 21. If not sufficient body fat you may want to add some fat those days to avoid tanking your metabolism. Good luck experimenting.

(Jason Cordier) #3

Thank you for that - it is great to hear you had good results doing so. I was hoping this fast would be a broad kick starter, and exercise is important to me on that front. Cheers! I will pay attention to my energy levels, but so far plenty. Will see at what point the body fat can’t support me, and adjust accordingly.

Oh just thinking remember you are “consuming” protein as your body breaks down excess skin and the collagen matrix surrounding fat cells that are being depleted.

(Jason Cordier) #5

Good point, I was just not sure the levels autophagy would support in nutrition for hypertrophy. My gut said if I feel strong and good it is because I am, but good idea to check!

(Artie) #6

Jason, thank you for asking this question. I’ve been wondering the same in regards to longer term water fasting and exercising.

Primal, than you for your response. It makes absolute sense that one’s body would work efficiently and utilize excess stored fat for energy and excess skin/collagen for muscle development.

-Artie

i’m on day 3 of 5, exercise every day (heavy weight lifting). I take electrolytes in the morning(lime juice, salt, ACV) then I take a pre workout. I feel so good, I recover very quickly inbetween sets and the intensity is very high. the preworkout helps me add more weight.

(Jason Cordier) #8

Thanks for all the responses. With much more experience fasting and exercising now, I find that in many situations my performance is much better when fasted/fasting across most categories of exercise. This is particularly true for long and slow exercise (which is the best way to quickly improve endurance). I find that running, say 20 km three times a week, is somewhat effortless when I am fasted for two of those runs and go back to Keto for the third. I also have found that I am stronger for the first five days, but then my strength starts to decline. I however always seem to PB three to four days into a fast, and I believe I get quicker results by cycling fasting. For HIIT training, the first three days I perform well, and then after that I I see a steady decline until am useless and don’t even bother. I have reelected on my training logs and also see that my largest training days have also been fasted. For example these days may include a long run, paddle and a bike ride all in a day amounting to seven hours of work load. I am not sure if that just happens to end up that way, but on reflection I think it is because I feel great and mentally want to push myself and enjoy more time outside.

(J) #9

Please suggest a good article, or more, about that. I have tried searching somewhat by the web for what you claim, but I’m assuming it will probably require hours to find studies regarding that. If it is true that There are Russian methods of 3 hours of exercise with water fasting, this will be a great benefit to become super-human.