Schweinshaxe (German Braised Pork Hocks)

pork
dinner
hock
german

Pork hock is a very inexpensive cut of meat, and is extremely fatty. It’s perfect for keto. This recipe not only creates a delicious meal, but you also get a rich pork broth as a by-product, that you can use for making soup or add to other recipes.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup rutabaga (30 grams)
3/4 cup leek (90 grams)
2 pork hocks
1 teaspoon peppercorn
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon anise seed
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt

First start with the rutabaga and leek (I had a left over piece of rutabaga stored in the fridge). You can substitute the rutabaga for any turnip, and the leek for onion

Chop the veg into equal size pieces

Add the chopped vegetables to a oven-proof sauce pan. Add to it the peppercorn, celery seed, bay leaf and anise seed

Add the pork hocks on the bed of chopped veg and spices. Rub the salt on the pork hocks.

Fill the pot up with water, reaching to the top of the pork hocks

Bring to a rolling boil

Turn down the heat to a simmer, cover, and leave to simmer for 3 hours (the meat will become very tender)

Remove the broth (I store it in recycled jars). Keep this broth to make soup or for use in other recipes

You will have left the boiled pork hocks, with the vegetables, and a few millimeters of liquid at the bottom of the pan

Place the pan in the oven at 425 deg F for 30 minutes, followed by 5 to 10 minutes under the broiler to get a nice brown colour

Final plating

Close up

The pork hock falls apart easily, and is very moist

The perfect bite

Note: I like to eat this with mustard - dijon or yellow mustard - as it goes very well with the fatty pork meat

What did you Keto today?
(Richard Morris) #2

I am so making this … soon.

(Tim) #3

Damn that looks good.