Scalp Psoriasis from fasting?

I’m on day 12 of my extended fast. I’m taking it one day at a time, but thinking I will stop at 14 days. Overall I have felt great. I’ve been doing Keto for a while so it wasn’t a hard adjustment. I have developed a rash all over my scalp and it’s quite uncomfortable . It looks like psoriasis. I’ve never had any issues before. I think I had one tiny spot shortly before I started the fast and thought it was just a bug bite or something. Now it’s all over my head. Wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar. Is this some kind of detox ?

Have you tried running a search, to see if something like this has been mentioned on this forum? Or even checked on-line? … I can’t honestly say I recall reading about it on here, and though I’ve read a lot of these forum post, that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been mentioned.

But if this is new, and something you haven’t experienced, it could indeed be related? Have you fasted this long before? Also, think to make sure you haven’t changed anything else lately either. Sometimes when something like this happens it can usually be attributed to something that was recently added/included.

Thank you ! I’ve tried to search but so far I just keep finding how fasting heals skin issues. I’ve been low carb for a long time and strict Keto since July ( off an on for couple of years really ). The only major change is I stopped taking some of my vitamins during the fast - fish oil etc. I still take Vit D and Magnesium. I haven’t always been on top of getting the vitamins so I don’t think that’s it. This is my longest fast, I was doing 24 hour fasts before. I was really only gonna do a week but I felt so good, decided to keep going. For now I’m using ACV and coconut oil to relieve the discomfort and it is helping. I’m hoping this is just my body’s way of getting rid of toxins. Knowing what I know about fasting - it’s hard to believe it’s a negative effect of it

Yep, about a month in. I recognized it immediately as a detox reaction. I was doing detoxing before it became a “thing”. Lots of info online about it. Hopefully it will stay on your scalp as others have it in more visible places.

I’m ten weeks in and mine is waxing and waning. Try not to do anything to suppress it. It is a very good sign that lots of garbage (some say they’re dead fat globules, isn’t that a nice thought :o/) is coming out using the body’s largest avenue of escape, the skin.

Thank you ! So when you say not to surpress it - do you think using Apple Cider Vinegar and coconut oil is ok ?

I honestly don’t know. Hopefully someone else here can answer that. I’ve had no luck on google with that concern. I would say just do as little as possible to handle the itching and let your body do its job.

Mine has not been too itchy, thankfully. When it does, I just rub the area lightly with a finger and it settles down. And I definitely don’t feel around to see if it’s still there :grinning:

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of info here and great people. I wish you well in your keto journey.

Short Answer. I do not think it is related to fasting.
Eliminate “SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate)” from your hair shampoo. Try find a SLS Free shampoo. Use Aloe Vera Gel to soothe and repair scalp.

Long Answer.
Funny you should mention that I had the same issue, itchy flaky scalp, I also came to the conclusion it was Scalp Psoriasis, don’t like going to the doctors never been for many years. I will try to cure it myself first. But I tried everything including , Coconut Oil, Sesame Oil, ACV, Colloidal Oatmeal, gave each a good chance, but it would not go away. During the best part of the last month or more.
Finally I came across after much research “Aloe Vera Gel” now that was helping, but not curing I thought. But best results so far. While out shopping one day I popped into a Local Health Shop to buy another tube of said Gel, and speaking to the owner of the shop ( I have known her for many years) and mentioning my scalp condition she said right away Aloe Vera, but also mentioned to steer clear of Shampoos that contain “SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate)” my normal shampoo does contain SLS. She went on to explain about SLS, but just Google it yourself.

I changed my shampoo to a SLS Free one, I use this one “Faith in Nature Aloe Vera Shampoo”, SLS Free, there are other SLS Free Shampoos, but Aloe Vera on its own is good for Scalp Psoriasis .
I still applied “Aloe Vera Gel” to my scalp after shower, 100% better in a couple of days. almost gone after 5 days of changing shampoo and applying the gel, no itchy flaky scalp. I week later, just using the shampoo no gel, my scalp returned to normal. As far as I can see SLS was the culprit.

Conclusion, I think because we have changed our life styles by choosing a healthy Keto way of eating, and living so to speak, some or even many of are allergies may begin to surface, and demand to be noticed and listened to.

I do not fast myself, but I do not think your condition is due to fasting, I think you are healthy and maybe your body say’s “hey what about this” ref SLS, scalp issue.

If you have already eliminated SLS from your life, I guess I will look pretty stupid, and beg pardon.

I am no medical expert and the above are just my thoughts, just trying to help.

Update for anyone stumbling upon this. I do think this was detox related. I have been using Apple cider vinegar mixed with water to rinse my head for three days now and I’m already seeing and feeling a difference. I also broke my fast. Figured 12 days was enough for the first time.

(PJ) #9

For anyone who finds this thread in the future. I had a prior medical issue that resulted in massive itching on my legs. DMSO saved my life. Dilute it. Especially if using from the waist up and on the head probably use 1:4 dmso:water.

Contrary to the internet frenzy of fear about it, it does not transport anything but the smallest molecules through the skin. It will stop itching (note: and pain!) anywhere on the body even if just used ‘near’ it. And if you look for serious reviews and info you’ll see it has even helped heal a ton of injuries. Sadly it can’t be patented and is so good for so much that TPTB are seriously against it so you have to wade through a lot of stuff. Every serious pro athlete I’ve known of uses it sometimes.

I just wash my hands well and apply but if you want pads to apply it with get the ones that are bleached with hydrogen peroxide, not bleach. amazon sells them.