Saying hello to Ketos

(Robin) #147

Welcome! Welcome!
You will be a great addition to our forum. Sounds like you are off to a great start.
You got this!

(Eve) #148

Has anyone noticed that increasing electrolytes/ salt, has caused fluid retention/ weight gain?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #149

Nope. With me, it’s carbohydrate that does tha.

Not in my case but my weight is super stable anyway. But it’s what one can expected when the body works right, I mean the no extra water retention when eating more sodium than usual, changing bodyweight is perfectly normal, my body is a weirdo to keep it so stable.

(Eve) #151

So, the unimaginable has happened - l am getting used to not eating loads of my beloved veg! In fact, am pretty much fine with it - l would still like the magic wand to say l can eat however many carby fruit and veg as l want and not suffer, but l realise now that is just not possible! So am just very grateful that I am now ok with the new keto WOE - as you all said, it is just a matter of time and getting positive results to confirm it is a right decision

(Eve) #153

I am probably taking a similar amount in an effort to help.my body adjust which is taking some time. I think that increasing the salt etc may have helped somewhat

I feel nostalgic now :smiley: I did it somewhat gradually but as I lowered my carbs, yep, vegs had to go. With my pace it wasn’t even hard. Much. I had some problematic times on keto, missing vegs… I ate more raw vegs, it helped :slight_smile: And only tried carnivore when I suddenly lost interest in vegs. Mostly. I still have the odd juicy, crunchy radish slice or tiny onion in a stew, that’s nice… But I really don’t need or desire vegs anymore. Surreal. But after a few years it’s more like my new normal, it’s only odd if I stop and think about it. But my first carni times were strange, I didn’t recognize myself.

(Eve) #155

So it seems that l have put on weight on the keto WOE but am not totally sure whether it is due to the increase in salts or a real gain. I have not been counting calories, as recommended, just concentrating on the percentages, but perhaps l should drop the calories a bit? Don’t want my body to think it is being starved though…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #156

Refresh my memory: how long have you been eating a ketogenic diet?

If it’s less than a month, just be aware that many women need to go through a cycle or two before fat loss starts, and even menopausal and post-menopausal women often seem to need a period of hormonal re-balancing. And many women, conditioned for so many years to skimp on their food, find that their fat loss begins only when they start eating more, not less.

(Eve) #157

I started in January and have been progressively lowering my carbs bit by bit. I was in ketosis from mid Jan onwards. And yes ,.am post menopausal with gut issues that have been getting gradually worse for many years so alot of damage to heal. As you know, it is taking along time to become fat adjusted as well - not there yet l don’t think. I have decided to cut the salt back to the original intake which was based on your recommendations
Q

(Eve) #158

Do you think l am still rebalancing from a hormonal point of view? And so full benefits and weight loss not kicked in yet?
On a positive, several people have commented how well l am looking - better skin too!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #159

At two months, it is still possible. You are just about through fat-adaptation, I’d guess. If you are looking better, then things are going well, so far.

And how big is the gain? It’s very normal to have bodyweight fluctuations, some people have a surprisingly big one. Fat-loss doesn’t necessarily happens in the beginning or even later, ketosis alone may not be enough. Some eat too much fat, others have certain items interfering… The body is good at doing odd things regarding water retention… Though not in my case, thankfully.

These are still your very early times, it’s quite possible you start to lose soon. Some people do it immediately, some after fat adaptation, women may need some time to start… Unless the gain is truly much (probably not), don’t worry about it.

Great! :smiley:

(Eve) #161

@Shinita. I have gained about 2-3 pounds but l am dropping the salt intake a little and then will weigh again in a few days as l am sure there is a chance I am suffering fluid retention, even though the science says it shouldn’t happen during ketosis… l will do a little experiment and see!

(Eve) #162

How do l just do a symbol reply to a message I.e. showing that l have liked a comment

(Jane) #163

You can click on the heart by the Reply button or add a :+1: emoji.

You can type +1 between tow colon symbols, or click the smiley face at the top of the reply window and select whichever one you like.

(Eve) #164

:blush:

(Eve) #165

I don’t seem to have a heart by the reply button…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #166

Try now.

From your username, you seem to be in anonymous mode, and and anonymous accounts are locked at the basic user level. But I can’t tell what your original username was, so I just unlocked the account and promoted you. You should be able to like posts, now.

(BTW, if you want your username changed from that long string of characters, send me a private message.)

(Eve) #167

Thanks Paul.