Savory Cole Slaw

(Jane) #1

Modified a recipe I found online and it turned out good so posting it here.

1/2 head cabbage, shredded
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
2-3 dill pickles, diced
Fresh ground black pepper
salt

Dressing:
3/4 cup mayo
1 Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp Erythritol

Mix Vegetables in large bowl. Grind pepper over top and sprinkle with a little salt.

Mix dressing in small bowl and whisk to blend. Pour over vegetables and stir to combine. Refrigerate 2-3 hours before serving.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

You could use a mix of sour cream and mayo too. A bit less expensive if you’re using good mayo. :man_cook:t3:

(traci simpson) #3

I found this one somewhere. Man it’s a keeper!!!

Hot bacon and cabbage slaw

2 slices bacon, finely chopped

5 oz. / 140g onion, finely chopped

10 oz. / 280g cabbage, shredded

1 TBSP apple cider vinegar

¼ tsp. celery seed

¼ tsp. sea salt

1 oz. / 30g Erythritol (optional)
In a large pan, sauté the bacon and onion over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until the bacon is lightly browned and the onion is just starting to soften.

Add the cabbage to the pan, stir well, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until the cabbage is crisp-tender.

Add the vinegar, celery seed, sea salt, and sweetener, and stirring well, cook for 1 minute

(Jane) #4

I saved the other half of the cabbage to wilt in bacon grease for dinner tonight - may have to try this!

(Jane) #5

True. Or my homemade Bulgarian yogurt. I make my own mayo but it does get a bit pricey with the oils I use.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

This is like German Potato Salad subbing cabbage for cooked potatoes. :man_cook:t3:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

I prefer the mix, that’s how I made slaw pre keto. I used to keep a tub in my fridge during the summer to eat with lunch. :cowboy_hat_face:

('Jackie P') #8

:hushed:what’s potatoes precious!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

('Jackie P') #10

Haha! I just knew you would get it😃

('Jackie P') #11

Actually amazing feat of technological genius! How did you do that? I’m just so proud I can now post a pic of my dinner!:astonished:
Was Gollum the original Ketoer?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

Hard core ancestral diet

Google :slightly_smiling_face:

('Jackie P') #13

Absolutely!
OMG might have to watch the trilogy …again!:slight_smile:
And of course, Sam, with his love of thick golden chips, was rather portly!
Tolkien knew his stuff!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

If you think about it Gollum looks pretty good for a guy who’s a few hundred years old. Gotta give keto credit. :grin:

('Jackie P') #15

:joy::joy:how wonderfully ridiculous! I’m going to watch it again with keto eyes.
Even the ruddy orcs and Uruk-kai "looks like meat’s back on the menu boys "!
Grr was trying to upload the link but couldn’t figure it out!

(Carl Keller) #16

I was surprised to learn that brussels sprouts in lieu of cabbage works amazingly well in cole slaw. I quite like it.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #17

Also broccoli stems (Hearts, my favorite part of broccoli) if you peel and shred them into matchsticks.