Sausage

(Confused!) #1

Hi, Do you all count carbs in sausages or do you eat what you like?

(Allie) #2

You’ll get as many different answers as responses on this one as everyone will be finding their own way. I don’t track / count anything, but I do check ingredients thoroughly and won’t buy anything with ingredients I don’t like.

(Confused!) #3

Thank you. What do you do about sausages?

I personally count, but I’ve only been at this 5 months and I find tracking/counting everything helpful. I’m getting to the point where I can do some of the math in my head after learning about carb counts in various veggies and such, but counting it all on my app helps me stay on track.

(Carl Keller) #5

Most of the sausage in my local market have added sugars and I won’t touch those. You don’t have to count any carbs at all but your hormones will react to them so it might be better to track until you have a good grasp of what foods are high in sugar and starch.

(Confused!) #6

Thank you.

(Allie) #7

Exactly as I said above.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #8

I buy most of my sausage from a local vendor and we quiz him about added sugars. He does put some in but it is something like 4 oz in 200lbs of meat. He might as well just leave it out.

We also buy some sausages from Wegmans and read the label carefully. Andouille sausage mostly. Small amount of carb. The two of us that are strict keto are very fat adapted and we don’t notice any difference eating sausage soups (essentially mostly all meat and spices) and then it is less than once / 2 weeks.

Most days I plan on eating processed meats I limit any other sources of carbs except maybe 1/3 of an avocado.

I don’t track except in my head.

I stay clear of traditional US breakfast sausage. Tons of bad ingredients.

(Pete A) #9

I count 7 carbs for my 6oz of italian sausage which I eat once or twice a week!

(bulkbiker) #10

If they contain lots then I don’t eat them but even the high meat content sausages I buy contain some level of carbs so yes they get counted otherwise there’s no point in counting anything…

(mole person) #11

I’m just strict about finding sausages with excellent macros. So for a 100 gram serving I’ll find a sausage that is, for example, 1or 2 grams of carbohydrates, 25 grams of fat, and 14 grams of protein. That’s my ideal sausage.

(Brian) #12

OK… so it seems that the additives are really the problem with sausage.

They seem like they’d be easy to make. After all, they’re meat with a few seasonings.

But… despite several attempts at what people will call the “most awesome sausage recipe” you’ll ever find (everybody thinks theirs is to die for, dozens of recipes out there), I have yet to find one that really has a taste and texture of good sausage patties. I lost track of exactly how many recipes I tried but I kinda gave up. :frowning:

Now a good hamburger, that’s easy. Good ground beef, a tiny bit of a few basic seasonings, and it’s restaurant quality. So far, my sausage attempts all required ketchup to get past the first patty.

I know there has got to be a decent recipe out there. And if we make it ourselves, we can control exactly what goes in it. Surely I’m not the only one who’s gone down this road. Anybody wanna share?

I was looking at these at Costco. Had a sample and it was darn good.

https://gilbertssausages.com/caprese-chicken-sausage

There are a number of other “flavors” as well. (Some with carb counts too high for me.)

Not sure they are the best thing ever, but if I was in a pinch or on the go, it would make for a quick lunch.

(Confused!) #14

What are you’re thoughts on Heck pork sausages

(bulkbiker) #15

They are a brand I have… the 97% pork ones… or I tend to go for Waitrose or M&S 97% pork sausages…

(Allie) #16

https://www.aldi.co.uk/german-bratwurst/p/002591000310600

These are good.

(Anne Brodie) #17

US Wellness has sausages (and bacon and other meats) without added sugar, and they are pretty good.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #18

@Kage I buy Gilbert’s Pork Sausages sometimes, when I get a deal on them. They’re tasty. One thing that’s kind of cool, they’re individually sealed in tubes, you can keep them in your refrigerator for a long time if you just want one it doesn’t mean you need to eat the whole pack. :cowboy_hat_face:

(traci simpson) #19

I buy meat from Butcher Box. All grass fed and grass finished meats.

Do you count the carbs though?