Sauerkraut In A Jar, 2 ingredient by ZORN

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #1

Chop cabbage. Add 1.5 teaspoons salt per pound. Massage the salt into the chopped cabbage 10 minutes. Press cabbage into a crock or jar until the liquid covers the cabbage. Loosely cover. Set on counter.
Wait 4 weeks. Nosh. Sour, squeaky on your teeth, magnificent!

Some people only wait four days. From my research, the probiotic activity (lactobacillus) peaks at at the third week. You can eat it at any time during this process. Taste a bit as you go along to find your favorite stage. I like mine quite sour.

*For a twist, add a tablespoon of caraway seed per pound or a few tablespoons chopped dried nori.
When you have fermented your cabbage to your liking, transfer to a quart Mason jar with a tight lid and refrigerate. This slows the fermenting process considerably. Enjoy from your refrigerator for several weeks (if it lasts that long). :slight_smile: :green_heart:

I ordered this handmade fermenting crock online from Tamarack Stoneware. The artist is a fabulous woman I met on a very busy and well run fermenting page online. https://www.facebook.com/groups/fermenterskitchen/

You don’t need a fancy crock to make sauerkraut btw. A jar or even a bowl works fine. Just be sure it’s glass or stoneware, never plastic or metal :slight_smile:

(Laura Z) #2

Yum! I LOVE your crock! Thank you for providing the company that made it. Not sure if they will ship to the UK? I have experimented with many ferments this past year (krauts, kimchi, kombucha). I enjoy experimenting and have woke to a few surprises and the crock would prevent the leaking problem. I have used nori in my kimchi but not my sauerkraut and will add some to my next batch!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #3

It is a private artist. She is quite personable and kind. She sent a hand written note along with it. It was quite expensive but worth it to me. Sauerkraut is keto! It’s been a few years, but I think she sells through etsy.
The great part about the crock is that it looks lovely sitting on the counter, which is where it ends up living!

(Roxanne) #4

Thank you Linda! Just regular table salt?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #5

Linda? Lol. :wink:
Regular table salt, kosher flaked salt, Himalayan pink salt…
It all works.

(Roxanne) #6

Sorry, was working with a Linda this week and my brain is fried. Looking forward to trying this.

(Tim W) #7

Hey Brenda,

I started a batch of this today. I forgot to remember that it’s supposed to stay in a glass/non-metallic bowl and I started out in a metal bowl, for about six hours before I moved to a glass bowl, we’ll see how that works out.

Question for you, we are going on vacation for a week and I’m going to set the A/C on hold at 76, right now I’ve got a couple of cabbage leaves on top of the shredded cabbage with a large plastic bag full of water on top, holding the shred below the brine. Does that sound like a workable setup? Any issues with getting too hot from 76 degrees A/C? Would I be better off putting it in the fridge as is?

Thanks!

Tim

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #8

Shouldn’t be too hot. 76* is a great ferment temperature. Sounds like a workable setup.
Be sure there is space from the cabbage to the container rim because sometimes the brine foams up. Like 2 or three inches of space.

(Tim W) #9

Thanks Brenda!

I’ll try to remember to report back and let you know how it turned out.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

Never use regular table salt, it has iodine and anti caking additives. Use pickling/canning salt, unprocessed sea salt or Himalayan pink salt. Also never use unfiltered tap water in a ferment, the chlorine can kill the bacteria that are on the vegetables.