Sardines!

Great idea, Laurie. I’ll be on the look out also and if I find something I’ll post it here.

On the fish oil topic: I get my salmon oil tablets from Costco up here in BC, Canada. I’m embarrassed though that I don’t know what goes into the production of them. I haven’t taken them in a few months (completely forgot!) and have had so few issues with my skin or hair or health in general because of the keto lifestyle. Something to research this week. :slight_smile:

(Chris) #42

If you’re looking for oil… Find cod liver in cans. I’m obsessed. truly a delicacy

Otherwise the Season boneless/skinless at Costco are my go to. good price. So much easier than dealing with wild caught salmon.

But I think I’ve heard some people talk about the canned wild caught salmon being pretty good. Next time I’m at Costco, I might give it a try. If its dry, I can combine a can of cod liver with the salmon. Probably bleed to death from all the blood thinning

(Windmill Tilter) #43

Canned pink salmon is really good. It’s a very small salmon that’s so plentiful it’s almost a nuisance fish in Alaskan waters. It’s too small to get a proper fillet off, and it’s quite fatty so it doesn’t have much market value. I buy mine for about $3.65/lb. My favorite brand is Rubenstein’s. Another of pink salmon’s virtues is that they are very low on the food chain like sardines and herring, so heavy metals are very low. It’s also always wild caught. Definitely worth trying!

One word of warning though, they are packed “sardine style” with the bone in. It’s one fish per can, so the bones are pretty big, especially the spine, which is the diameter of a pencil. It’s not hard to remove, but I leave it in. I actually kind of like it. :blush:

(Bob M) #44

I also eat the pink salmon from Costco. And the Albacore wild tuna (and smoked salmon, farm raised though).

(joseph) #45

Did you notice something other than olive oil taste? like a seed oil?

I love them!
I started buying them in water after watching a couple of keto experts talking about how most oils are rancid by the time you open the tin.
I love this recipe:

https://www.carbmanager.com/recipe/keto-sardine-and-caper-pate

(DougH) #47

That looks good. Do you just eat the pate with a spoon? I have been making liverwurst and some other pates but I struggle with having always eaten them in the past on a bagel or other carb goody.

I saw some great salmon salad the other day, but in the end my reaction was meh, not going to eat a whole tub of it with a spoon.

With a spoon, on celery or cucumber slices.
If you like home made dressings, a spoon in a oil and vinegar dressing (blended) gives it a nice flavor :slight_smile:

(KetoQ) #49

Laurie –

Here’s how to do sardines on the cheap … I buy the sardines in brine or water. I get them less than a dollar a tin at WalMart. Then add my own olive oil to them. And/or stone ground mustard.

What I save buying 10 tins of sardines in water, buys a very nice bottle of olive or avocado oil.

Cheers,
Q

(Bunny) #50

That is why you want extra virgin fish oil pills (unprocessed) that do not have a clear coating?

Dr. Berg actually sent the cans out to be tested by a laboratory and they do in fact contain the omegas despite the processing.

Omega 3 Fatty Acids in Canned Sardines (Part 2 Update): Even More Surprising: In this video, Dr. Berg talks about an update to his video titled Omega 3 Fatty Acids in Canned Sardines. He talks about the how it is true that canned sardines and canned tuna do have Omega 3 fatty acids.

• Sardines (DHA) – 788mg / 85g
• Sardines (EPA) – 742mg / 85g

• Tuna (DHA) – 57mg / 56g
• Tuna (EPA) – 41mg / 56g

Sardines has 13x higher DHA than the Tuna.
Tuna has 18x higher EPA than the Sardines.

(DougH) #51

@atomicspacebunny Did the EPA versus DHA get swapped in your two sets of bullets, just trying to conform your comment that Tuna has higher EPA than Sardines with your two lists.

Sorry, I should clarify: my concern is the olive oil they’re packed in, not the oils present in the sardines/tuna themselves.

(DougH) #53

I don’t get the impression that the olive oil in my sardines is necessarily rancid or oxidized. Maybe I am misinformed or I am missing the cues.

That being said, Omega 3 oxidizes even easier than olive oil. I would expect it all to be in poor shape by the time the olive oil has gone to hell.

(Bunny) #54

Dr. Berg wrote it, I am just the messenger …lol

Good observation…

(Bunny) #55

I agree, rancid oils are missing electrons so it creates chain reaction scavenging to take away the electrons of other vital processes, compared to electron rich unprocessed oils… What anti-oxidants are for?