Sardines!

Where’s the best place to purchase them? I’m in US. I’m thinking Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s.

I tried the wild planet sardines. My cat loved them… To me they tasted like what I image cat food would taste like :nauseated_face:.

(Karim Wassef) #23

try the torch and lime with an avocado side in EVOO

(Central Florida Bob ) #24

Our “bulk and bundle store”, BJ’s Wholesale, has these for $1/can. The local grocery stores are $3/can.
http://www.seasonproducts.com/products/sardines-in-extra-virgin-olive-oil-2/

One level higher on the website:
http://www.seasonproducts.com/product_category/sardines/

“Wild caught, sustainable” sardines, with each can at 1700 mg of omega 3 oils. Better than a couple of fish oil capsules. We grab either the “skinless boneless” or the ones with bones, as long as they’re in the EVOO. $1 for 4 ounces of protein and an excellent source of omega 3s. There’s no such thing as a grass fed beef that can get you the same amount of n3 oils for $1.

They usually go in a big green salad with some bacon and maybe diced ham or some other kind of protein, then either more olive oil and vinegar dressing or my wife’s home made Caesar dressing. Caesar dressing has anchovy paste in it, so it’s not an outrageous contrast. Somebody on these forums suggested the sardine salad and it has become a once a week (at least) meal.

(Windmill Tilter) #25

That’s an amazing deal. Those range from $1.99 to $3.00 a can at my local Hannaford. There are big quality differences when it comes to sardines, and those are those are really good sardines. Now I’m seriously thinking about a BJ’s membership. :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #26

It’s a similar deal at Costco.

I also get anchovies there, too, though the (much more expensive) ones at my local store or packed in salt are better. A lot better.

(Doug) #27

Hmm… I am suddenly quite hungry. That sounds great, Bob.

(Central Florida Bob ) #28

If it weren’t for having the receipt in front of me, I’m not sure I would have believed myself. Might have been a sale? There were no big signs there. I think they were more when we first started getting them, but we get a pack of 10 cans. The receipt said $9.99. There was even a coupon that gave us another couple of bucks off.

Hi Laurie, usually most of the canned fish in olive oil is a little pricier, I’ve noticed.
We are also in Canada! (BC) And I haven’t seen anything under $3 or so of decent quality.

Or you could just go in with someone for the membership? I only say this since we don’t go there on the regular basis, and you are allowed to have a guest. And they no longer put pictures on the cards. So for us, it’s our son. We were going with him on his membership, and when his ran out I picked up one and he now goes under mine. This makes more sense because he still lives with us, but that doesn’t mean you couldn’t find someone who would frequently like to stop by and pick some stuff up. :slight_smile:

(Laurie) #31

Thank you, @CampWoman. Maybe I’ll just buy sardines packed in water. I’ll keep checking prices (including prices for cases of 12 or 18) and see what I come up with.

(Daisy) #32

I get my sardines at Walmart for a dollar and my kippers at dollar tree for the same.

(Carol) #33

I picked up Wild Planet sardines packed in extra virgin olive oil at the 99 cents store (Arizona). I went wild and got about 20 cans - all they had left on the shelf.

There’s a brand I usually get with Mustard, but I don’t have any here on hand at the moment. My Wife did pick up two of these just the other day, since they showed to be in Water, and thought I’d like to try them. Think she said they were about $1.19? Haven’t tried them yet, but will in the next week or so.

Those are the ones I used to always eat, until I discovered the Crown Prince brand, in olive oil.

Skinless and boneless. :yum:

(Shane) #36

First sardines for 2 or 3 days. I’ve been having bone broth when I’d normally have the sardines.
Mrs grumpy went shop today and restocked the pantry so I did the right thing and finished off the old jar of aioli. These are the sardines She usually gets.
Hopefully in the next day or two I’ll be calling into a small supermarket that has the same brand, but has added salt and has less water and more sardines.
These ones are around 70% sardines and 30% water and the
other ones are around 89% sardines, 10% water and have added salt. Same price.

(Windmill Tilter) #37

Great point! The manufacturer can list the wet weight rather than the dry weight of a canned product (at least in the US). I didn’t realize that until I weighed the drained contents of a 12oz tin of chicken on my food scale. It was 8oz!

When I’m buying tinned fish now, I do the math for $/fat gram rather than $/oz. What I really want are those omega 3’s. I don’t really care what anything else weighs. :smile:

(Shane) #38

Other than pills, sardines are my easiest/cheapest source of omega 3’s.
But I’ve always loved sardines… and anchovies.

(Windmill Tilter) #39

I used to buy pills, but then I did a bit of research into the science. There is mounting evidence that fish oil pills are basically useless. Apparently they don’t have the same effect after all the processing, centrifuging, and oxidation that unprocessed fish oil does when it comes right from a fish. That’s ok by me because I love sardines/herring/pink salmon!

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/30/fish-oil-claims-not-supported-by-research/

(DougH) #40

Great article. I don’t take fish oil pills and this is one of the main reasons. I still remember years ago when I was into surf fishing the damage that was done to the sea bass population by companies that harvested excessive amounts of this oily fish called bunker or menhaden. They were turning it in to animal feed and fish oil. What happens to the ecosystem when you sap it of its roots for the sake of making supplements.

I want to support fishermen, and I want to eat real food. I don’t want to support a huge corporate entity that is basically draining our oceans and only popping out little pills at the end of the production line.