Sardines!

(DougH) #1

Am I the only one that can suck down can after can of these.

They are literally the healthiest no cook quick protein and healthy fat option out there.

I used to eat King Oscar but lately I mostly eat the Wild Planet brand. They are larger and seem to be meatier and seem fresher and less off putting.

My husband buys Cantabrian anchovies in olive oil. Sardines are fine too. :slight_smile:
Enjoy!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #3

I like these.

Really like the labeling. :slight_smile: ā€¦ I donā€™t have any on hand presently, but like the one in Mustard, but thereā€™s others I like as well.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Last can l opened had 3 mondo sardines. I like that brand too. I also have some of their tuna. Although I donā€™t eat them a lot. I need to eat them more often. This is a video I found on YouTube a couple years ago, I need to watch it again.

Was just thinking Iā€™d buy those for the name alone :smiley:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #7

There are mustard ones! I have only seen these two.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #8

The name and packaging is definitely what put me over the edge of favoring them over Ayam brand. I just noticed that the Chinese name is ā€œPortugese Old Man Brandā€. Bizarre. I looked it up and Porthos in Chinese is ę³¢ę‰˜ę–Æ bōtÅ«osÄ«. So very weird name choice.

Indeed :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Karim Wassef) #10

I like to take a torch to them - and add lime. I do it with mackerel tooā€¦

No, youā€™re not the only one.

Iā€™d rather pop a can of those fish than an omega-3 pill

I get whateverā€™s on special: Sardines, salmon, mackerel, kippers, ā€¦ but I get mine in brine not oil, I donā€™t trust their ā€œoilā€ ā€¦

(Bunny) #12

I luv sardines, oysters and caviar. I like eating all three together save the rest for later. With various naturally aged cheesesā€¦ Mmmm!

I think they would go great on Richardā€™s Flaxseed Cracker recipe.

(Laurie) #13

Thank you! I used to eat sardines with jalapeno peppers (in soya oil) as low-carb fast food, right out of the can. But somehow I went off them. Now Iā€™m looking for ways to simplify my cooking and eating. Iā€™ll have to stock up on sardines again.

I looked up sardines in olive oil, and it seems that in Canada theyā€™re $3 and up for that little can. Really? Does anyone know where to buy them cheapish? I shop on Vancouver Island; we have Superstore, Costco, Thriftyā€™s, Quality Foods, Walmart. . . . I also shop online, but Iā€™m not seeing any decent prices. Thanks!

(Laurie) #14

Mmm, fishy curry with cashews. Iā€™m going to try it.

(Windmill Tilter) #15

I love me some sardines, but when I discovered smoked herring, my life was changed forever. Seriously, these things are basically the fish version of bacon. At $2.75 for 6.7 oz, itā€™s a heck of a deal for wild caught fish. I have one of these pretty much every day. This one is my favorite, but the kippered herring from Brunswick or Crown Prince are not bad and are more widely available.

(Shane) #16

One of my typical breakfasts, like the one at 3:30 this arvo, is a can of sardines with 4-6 anchovy fillets and a couple of spoon fullā€™s of aioli or tartare sauce.

(Daisy) #17

I just tried sardines and kippers for the first time recently. It wonā€™t be the last!

(DougH) #18

I should start cooking more with them.

I normally just eat them straight from the can with a fork.

I may have to give them a try, reading all the excitement here. But my lip literally curls just thinking about it. :joy:

(DougH) #20

The good brands, especially the Wild Planet brand really arenā€™t fishy. They have the texture and the taste of a good premium canned tuna. If you get some that are fishy or mushy I would bin them and try to find a better brand.

They are gutted and descaled, and the bigger ones normally donā€™t even have any fin on them. Once you get over your expectations of what little fish in a can represent you will see they are pretty enjoyable.