Sardines!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #7

There are mustard ones! I have only seen these two.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #8

The name and packaging is definitely what put me over the edge of favoring them over Ayam brand. I just noticed that the Chinese name is “Portugese Old Man Brand”. Bizarre. I looked it up and Porthos in Chinese is 波托斯 bōtūosī. So very weird name choice.

Indeed :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Karim Wassef) #10

I like to take a torch to them - and add lime. I do it with mackerel too…

No, you’re not the only one.

I’d rather pop a can of those fish than an omega-3 pill

I get whatever’s on special: Sardines, salmon, mackerel, kippers, … but I get mine in brine not oil, I don’t trust their “oil” …

(Bunny) #12

I luv sardines, oysters and caviar. I like eating all three together save the rest for later. With various naturally aged cheeses… Mmmm!

I think they would go great on Richard’s Flaxseed Cracker recipe.

(Laurie) #13

Thank you! I used to eat sardines with jalapeno peppers (in soya oil) as low-carb fast food, right out of the can. But somehow I went off them. Now I’m looking for ways to simplify my cooking and eating. I’ll have to stock up on sardines again.

I looked up sardines in olive oil, and it seems that in Canada they’re $3 and up for that little can. Really? Does anyone know where to buy them cheapish? I shop on Vancouver Island; we have Superstore, Costco, Thrifty’s, Quality Foods, Walmart. . . . I also shop online, but I’m not seeing any decent prices. Thanks!

(Laurie) #14

Mmm, fishy curry with cashews. I’m going to try it.

(Windmill Tilter) #15

I love me some sardines, but when I discovered smoked herring, my life was changed forever. Seriously, these things are basically the fish version of bacon. At $2.75 for 6.7 oz, it’s a heck of a deal for wild caught fish. I have one of these pretty much every day. This one is my favorite, but the kippered herring from Brunswick or Crown Prince are not bad and are more widely available.

(Shane) #16

One of my typical breakfasts, like the one at 3:30 this arvo, is a can of sardines with 4-6 anchovy fillets and a couple of spoon full’s of aioli or tartare sauce.

(Daisy) #17

I just tried sardines and kippers for the first time recently. It won’t be the last!

(DougH) #18

I should start cooking more with them.

I normally just eat them straight from the can with a fork.

I may have to give them a try, reading all the excitement here. But my lip literally curls just thinking about it. :joy:

(DougH) #20

The good brands, especially the Wild Planet brand really aren’t fishy. They have the texture and the taste of a good premium canned tuna. If you get some that are fishy or mushy I would bin them and try to find a better brand.

They are gutted and descaled, and the bigger ones normally don’t even have any fin on them. Once you get over your expectations of what little fish in a can represent you will see they are pretty enjoyable.

Where’s the best place to purchase them? I’m in US. I’m thinking Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s.

I tried the wild planet sardines. My cat loved them… To me they tasted like what I image cat food would taste like :nauseated_face:.

(Karim Wassef) #23

try the torch and lime with an avocado side in EVOO

(Central Florida Bob ) #24

Our “bulk and bundle store”, BJ’s Wholesale, has these for $1/can. The local grocery stores are $3/can.
http://www.seasonproducts.com/products/sardines-in-extra-virgin-olive-oil-2/

One level higher on the website:
http://www.seasonproducts.com/product_category/sardines/

“Wild caught, sustainable” sardines, with each can at 1700 mg of omega 3 oils. Better than a couple of fish oil capsules. We grab either the “skinless boneless” or the ones with bones, as long as they’re in the EVOO. $1 for 4 ounces of protein and an excellent source of omega 3s. There’s no such thing as a grass fed beef that can get you the same amount of n3 oils for $1.

They usually go in a big green salad with some bacon and maybe diced ham or some other kind of protein, then either more olive oil and vinegar dressing or my wife’s home made Caesar dressing. Caesar dressing has anchovy paste in it, so it’s not an outrageous contrast. Somebody on these forums suggested the sardine salad and it has become a once a week (at least) meal.

(Windmill Tilter) #25

That’s an amazing deal. Those range from $1.99 to $3.00 a can at my local Hannaford. There are big quality differences when it comes to sardines, and those are those are really good sardines. Now I’m seriously thinking about a BJ’s membership. :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #26

It’s a similar deal at Costco.

I also get anchovies there, too, though the (much more expensive) ones at my local store or packed in salt are better. A lot better.