Sandwich bread

My favorite flour of the keto ones is almond. I always taste something when I use coconut flour. Does this have that same coconut flour taste? Also I was listening to a recipe recently and someone mentioned that for breading (for chicken nuggets) to use half coconut and half soy as they both have a strong flavor and cancel each other out when used together. Anyone think that would work here? Aside from the issues that some people have with soy I realize

(Brian) #22

Small update… The taste of the bread was better than the plain recipe. But it still has room for improvement. I think it does have some of the coconut taste. I like that in pancakes. Not quite so much in bread. I didn’t think to try adding the ream cheese, I should try that next time. Texture was about the same, kinda “eggy” or “sponge-like” to some extent. It would definitely hold together for a sandwich. I think the yeast may have added just a bit to both flavor and smell but pretty subtle.

I wonder if a combination of coconut flour and almond flour would give me anything I’d like. May work on that at some point when I have more time.

this is the one I’m going to try ‘half of’ in place of coconut flour.

It’s expensive (though less expensive than almond), but some say it’s a ‘game changer’ for keto baking. For 100 grams, it’s 1 (one) net carb. We’ll see. I wish I had the time today…

(Brian) #24

That would be interesting. I have some oat fiber that I had tried with a different recipe, don’t remember which one now.

I’m not sure how much liquid oat fiber would require to keep a moisture balance that would work. I know coconut requires quite a lot while almond flour doesn’t require nearly as much liquid.

What I don’t know is whether there is a scientific way of figuring out about what would work or whether it’s a total shot in the dark. (?)

(outlawpirate) #25

A BLT or grilled cheese every once in a while would be nice.

(Steve) #26

Found your answer:

(Brian) #27

Thanks, Steve!

1:1 is about as easy as it gets. :slight_smile:

I would stay clear of the grains, oats and soy, but i not only concentrate on carbs but also good food factors also. What ever you do cover it in fat

(Brian) #29

I hear ya, Alley.

I’m not a fan of grains. I will say, though, that even before keto, I got along decently with organic oats where I did not get along with commercially grown oats. I’ve heard numerous people say similar things about wheat, even mentioning that they can eat wheat just fine in Europe without any problems at all.

That said, oat fiber is a different thing than oat flour. It can be a little confusing and I usually have to do a double take to make sure I’m really reading what I think I’m reading when I see “oat fiber” written somewhere.

It’s actually not something I intend to repeat quickly such that I’ll be having bread at every meal. Either my tastes have changed or it’s just not that good anymore. I used to be able to sit down and eat a half of a loaf of my homemade bread right out of the oven. This last loaf of keto bread, we had a couple of thin slices off the end and about 3/4 of it is sitting without much of a desire to do anything with it. (This is after our grilled cheese last night.) I thought about putting it in the freezer.

Thanks for the clarity and you make perfect sense. I personally will just avoid the grains. I have some reasoning for this but I have no evidence to support my claim, yet I know it is out there. thanks again

(Brian) #31

No worries. :slight_smile:

I suspect many of us have certain areas that we tend to want to stay away from or lean towards. And evidence may be slim or controversial. For me, I am leery of GMO foods and despite many telling me it’s not a problem to eat animals fed GMO foods, I’m still leery of them. Doesn’t mean I never have any or that I’m gonna turn into a radical extremist. But given the choice, I try for what I perceive as the higher quality stuff. Some people probably look at me as stupid for my choices. Then again, a few of my old vegan/vegetarian friends look at me as stupid for my choices of eating animal products again.

I gotta go with what I’m convinced is right for me regardless of who is offended or who disagrees. I do reserve the right to change my mind if such a time comes that I believe I need to make a change or alter my thinking because of something new that I learn.

I figure we’re all in a bit different place. And we all have our private side. And glad to be able to have friends that I can disagree with sometimes and still be friends.

:slight_smile:

From where I sit, keto seems to be massively expanding. There are different goals for individuals, and many ways of doing it. Some suggest not to ‘drink calories’, others say ‘total’ vs ‘net’ carbs, some say avoid dairy and nuts…and all grains. Others fast, others aren’t interested. Some say limit protein, others say go the other way. Some use sweeteners, others are convinced they are the devil. There are carnivores and vegetarians too. And grass fed/organic only foods, and those more permissive.

Who is right? Well, there is no official rulebook (and even if there was, who cares?). There are individuals trying to find what is right for them. Other than certain general guidelines to reduce carbs, it’s up to each of us to figure out our own puzzle. And what we do can change as we go.

That said, there are those who wish to have faux carb foods available, such as a decent bread substitute. And this bread has possibilities.

I made some yesterday evening, and it’s OK. Not really bread, but useful as an alternate.

What I liked: Adding some yeast, and some cream cheese, and the tiniest dash of sucralose, really gave a nice flavor. It also cut well into slices and hung together when eating. I did not try a two slice sandwich however. It can be sliced very thin.

What I didn’t like: It’s size is small, but that’s OK. it’s very dense. It has an aftertaste that I don’t like. It makes a lot of slices, but could be frozen in slices I suspect. It toasts oddly - not crispy. Probably too many eggs to get too ‘toasty’.

I also am not sure I like the fact it is good enough to use as bread - and that I am eating foods that might remind me too much of things I have given up. Like meat on bread, or melted cheese on bread… Do I want a clean break or not? But that is me.

What I will do different next time, if I decide to make it again. Two things I disliked the most - the aftertaste and the denseness. I will think about how to use different flours. I think part of the unpleasant taste was the coconut flour (and I love coconut flavor) or perhaps the psyllium (which I’ve never used before). I may just use half the psyllium recommended.

As for texture, I don’t think I’d use a food processor. For most quick breads (those leavened with baking soda or powder), they are not mixed so thoroughly in a machine. That makes it easier, but not necessarily better. I’d mix all the wet ingredients, then sift all the dry things together, then mix the wet with the dry. I’d mix it by hand and just mix till most of the lumps are gone… but not all. Just as suggested for making fluffier pancakes or muffins. I think that would really lighten it up.

(Deb) #33

N=1 First thing I learned as a newbie. I’m always telling my plant based daughter… you do you, and I’ll do me. :two_hearts:

(Trish) #34

I made it as per recipe on video. It’s really good. Works great with butter on it added to a meal. Hunny made sandwiches for work. My son scraped a 1/4 teaspoon of Nutella on his and gave a thumbs up. I entered the ingredients into cronometer and figured I could get 16 give or take slices which equals 1.8 net carbs.

(Steve) #35

Really have to be careful where you get your Psyllium Husk Powder!!! Avoid this brand - they’re 4 net grams of carbs per tablespoon!!!

Pure Le Natural Psyllium Husks Powder

No damn nutritional label (thought that was mandatory) and don’t have my receipt…we’ll see if the store will take this crap back. sigh.

Will try this recipe next.

Yesterday was in the mood for a sandwich aInd made this one. Also only had whole psyllium and used a little less as was. So tried this one

It was pretty good. Still had a bit of almond flour taste (which I prefer to coconut flour although I would prefer wheat over both obviously but that cannot happen). I used the triple filtered Trader Joe’s coconut oil which gave it a moistness without overwhelming coconut flavor.

I recently bought some Oat Fiber based on recommendations on other threads and so far whatever I try it in ends up too dry (pancakes, fried chicken breading combines with almond flour). Blech!

(Jane Reed) #37

At dietdoctor.com there are a couple of bread recipes, one of which I’ve tried and liked. His Keto buns use an unconscionable number of eggs but they taste good and hold up quite well in sandwiches. A recent recipe he published contains fewer eggs but adds cream cheese. That’s my next experiment.

Both recipes contain ground psyllium husk, and not much of it. The amount in each serving is minimal. I’ve noticed that most successful keto breads contain psyllium. I believe it is a vital part of bread-like texture.

Since keto breads are so bland, recipes all call for ingredients like powdered garlic and onion. In fact, I don’t think they call for enough. I always supplement with other herbs and a little more salt. I like the idea of adding some yeast, which may give a flavor boost.

(Steve) #38

Definitely if you’re trying for an Onion bagel or bun, you need to increase the amount of powder and/or onion in the recipe (that’s what I found with my bagels - the flavour didn’t come through).

I am really curious what a bread made from oat fibre and wheat gluten might turn out like. (trying to find Bob’s Red Mill Wheat Gluten to give it a try). I think you could use that (gluten) rather than psyllium husk.

Of course, anyone with gluten sensitivities / intolerance won’t be able to use that (obviously). :slight_smile:

(Trish) #39

Turns out that this sandwich bread causes me lower GI cramping and constipation…ya I know…go figure. But I tend to be medically anomalous. Laxative effect for hunnie though. LOL

(Brian) #40

Hey Steve,

Sorry to hear of your frustration. It is frustrating trying to find good info for psyllium husks. The ways the people who are packaging the stuff list the carb content are all over the place. Some count the fiber. Some count some of the fiber. Some count none of the fiber. UUGGHH!!! There are small amounts of carbs in psyllium husks but it is likely that if what you have really is just psyllium husks powder, the net grams of carbs like we usually refer to hear as “net carbs” aren’t that high. I would guess that the real net figure would be somewhere between 1g and 2g of carbs per TBSP.

But that’s just an opinion from someone who’s just a schmuck on the internet… :wink: