Sandwich bread

(Brian) #1

I tried a new-to-me bread recipe yesterday. It’s one from YouTube.

It’s really a very simple recipe. It’s basically eggs, water, butter, psyllium husks, and coconut flour. No kneading, it’s all done in a food processor.

I got a pretty good rise out of it. It did actually rise enough that I could make a real sandwich out of it, which is important to me since tomato season is coming. It had a nice texture and didn’t fall apart but it wasn’t rubbery to me either. The flavor was a little bland, not eggy like I might have expected, but I am kinda thinking I may add a bit of yeast to it (for the flavor) next time I try it.

Something I didn’t have was psyllium husk powder so I took some whole husks and ran them through the blender before mixing it all up. I don’t think my ground husks were exactly “powder” but they were much finer than they were as whole husks. I’ve wondered if it would have risen any better if I’d ground the husks more. It’s something to experiment with.

I also used to like a bit of blackstrap molasses in my wheat bread when I made that, and even though I know it’s not keto, I had wondered whether a Tbsp in the whole loaf would give it some interesting flavor.

I’ll definitely be making this one again. Curious if any of you have made it or what you thought if you did.

:slight_smile:

(Karen) #2

Looks beautiful. I do miss the chewy mouth feel of bread.

K

(Bunny) #3

Wow that’s beautiful, blackstrap molasses (a good kind of sugar) is actually good for you and I would love it in bread! Psyllium husk is great for (esp. keto) the colon and regularity too!

(Brian) #4

When I made wheat bread, I messed with the recipe quite a lot. Most all of them call for some sugar or some honey, to feed the yeast. My original recipe called for honey. That was good but I wanted just a bit more flavor so I subbed the honey for blackstrap molasses. That seemed to be missing something so I tried half honey and half blackstrap molasses. I did that right up until I quit making it. Really like the flavor.

I still have been using a Tbsp of blackstrap molasses in the Chocolate Pecan Pie Muffins (keto) that we have around the house quite often. (Carolyn Kechum’s recipe, at alldayidreamaboutfood.com). It really adds a depth to the flavor.

Hmmm… makes me wonder, if I added some yeast, which I was thinking about for flavor, and I added a bit of the molasses for the flavor, would there be enough sugar in that molasses to give the yeast a few bubbles for even a little help with the rising? Don’t know. Got me thinkin’, now. :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #5

Not sure if this would work, but I actually eat (as is) this very specific type of brewers yeast!

(Brian) #6

That’s a possibility, Bunny. I suppose even nutritional yeast could add some interesting flavors.

(Joe) #7

Macro wise…So she takes out the carbs from the husk from the carbs from the coconut flour. Can you do that as the are separate whole ingredients?!

(Brian) #8

I didn’t pay much attention to her macros. She mis-states a good bit of other stuff just putting it all together.

I haven’t played around with keto bread, but when I was trying to enhance to flavor of faux pizza crusts, I added both regular baking yeast, and a small amount of cream cheese. Both gave a much more bready taste. The crm cheese was reminiscent of sour dough. But not too much so. It was very pleasing.

(Trish) #10

She says a cup of almond flour twice but the jar she holds up is coconut flour. Do we know which she is actually using as it would make a huge difference. I really want to try this recipe.

(Liz ) #11

I’m going to make it with coconut flour this week and I can report back. I assume it’s the coconut flour since that’s actually in her hands, also because of the water she adds because you’d need that with coconut flour which is so absorbent when almond flour is not.

(Trish) #12

That’s what I’m thinking as well. Also the amount of eggs and that there’s only 1 cup of flour tend to lean one towards coconut instead of almond. I will look forward to your report. I’m off my fast now so also looking forward to eating. :slight_smile:

(Liz ) #13

I’m still fasting which is why I put off making it! Mostly I want to see if my husband can use it for his sandwiches. I don’t really eat anything anymore that needs bread but it would be nice to have as an option anyway.

(Trish) #14

I like salami sandwiches. Also grilled cheese. The 90 second coconut bread is good for sausage and egg sandwiches and the diet doctor’s keto buns make good lunch sandwiches but more options are always better. :slight_smile:

(Brian) #15

I have a second loaf in the oven as I type this. Yes, it’s coconut flour if there is any confusion.

I tried to make sure I had the psyllium husks ground really well this time even though they weren’t exactly a “powder”. I have whole husks and put them in my little food processor and just let it run for a while, which is pretty similar to last time, so we’ll see.

As I was getting the ingredients ready, I took the warm water and added a tsp of yeast, the same stuff I would have used to make real wheat bread, plus a tsp of blackstrap molasses, both just simply for the taste of it. I want to see if it has more of a “bready” flavor this time. They all had a few minutes to get to know each other because I’m in the habit of getting my ingredients ready to go before I ever start putting them together. It seems to help.

My wife said she wanted grilled cheese tonight for supper so I figured, might as well give it another try. Really, it’s quite an easy recipe and other than the food processor, not a whole lot of cleanup involved. The last loaf was good, not great, but quite acceptable as bread. It was a little “squeaky” with all of those eggs. And it did have a bit of an odd smell to it. (Smelled faintly like soap to me.) But the smell didn’t translate to a bad taste. Texture was about what I might have expected from an artisan type bread. Sandwiches are definitely possible as it won’t easily just fall apart.

Will update if there is anything interesting to mention.

:slight_smile:

Thanks for experimenting. While I don’t especially miss bread itself, I have missed sandwiches - though I haven’t had one in years. Would be nice to make one with left over meat, lots of homemade mayo, avo, and a bit of lettuce and tomato.

(Brian) #17

Alexia, another something I happen to really like is a good meatloaf. And breadcrumbs are often an ingredient in meatloaf. I’ve wondered whether this sandwich bread could be toasted, seasoned and made into keto friendly bread crumbs. That’s sort of on the “someday when I have time” list of stuff I’d like to do. More immediately, though, tomato season is coming, and I HAVE to have a few tomato sandwiches! :slight_smile:

(Brian) #18

BTW… my loaf is just out of the oven. I noticed a lot more of a “nutty” smell, which I like, and a much darker looking loaf, which is probably due to the bit of molasses in it. Not ready to cut it yet so don’t know about texture or taste yet. One thing the yeast did not do was to help it to rise. I wouldn’t say it’s less than last time but not more.

(Trish) #19

Please do update. Curious if rhe yeast in particular makes a difference in rise. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Edit…just read the last post re the rise. Okey doke. Let us know if it taste better etc. I realize taste is subjective but I’ll trust your taste buds. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I can;'t try to make this bread until Wednesday. I’m planning on adding a small bit of cream cheese for flavor. And yeast. I probably won’t add the molasses. I might also use half oat fiber and half coconut flour. Not sure yet. I’ll have to calculate carbs first.