Salt, protein, and carbs

(Jane) #41

I don’t carry a bottle around or drink water all day. When I was on Weight Watchers I did because that was part of their plan.

What changed? Companies marketing strategies to sell water and playing on people’s fear that tap water isn’t safe to drink ( it may not be). I am on a well so fresh spring water now but in Houston I put in an RO unit for the marine aquarium under my sink so we had unlimited free high quality water from the tap.

(Edith) #42

I think it started before the companies jumped in with the “experts” telling us that being thirsty is not good. That if your’re thirsty you are already dehydrated. It got people thinking they needed to be drinking water all the time and then companies jumped on the bandwagon.

Maybe it’s just training. My body is used to having a constant stream of water and therefore thinks it is thirsty if doesn’t get that constant stream. Thing is, with my extra salt intake, I am naturally drinking less. I don’t need to urinate during the night either. I’m sleeping better. :thinking:

Exactly, not an on/off in/out situation. Sliding scale that’s dependent on each person and what they’re doing.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #44

Dr. Tim Noakes, the South African sports physician, researcher, and marathoner, was the first person to advise runners to stay hydrated. As he sees it, the problem was that sports drink companies took his advice and exaggerated it, in order to sell their products. He eventually became aware that runners—and other people—had started drinking too much liquid, and began warning about the dangers of over-hydration. His advice is now “drink to thirst.”

Unfortunately, he started trying to reverse the trend a bit too late, and several runners have now died from over-hydration during races.

The difference in A1C between you being 108 or 100 24/7 is 0.3! Completely ignoreable. Unless you started at 0 (you’d be dead) you can’t call 108 a spike. Even if you averaged the 80’s 108 wouldn’t be a spike. Normal elevation at best.

Electrolyte deficiencies. The electrolytes are what hydrate us, not the water itself. We most likely spent way more time in oceans, ate more of animals that all would have given us more. You said you up’d salt and now you’re not as thirsty… there ya go!

But on drinking water all day, it’s also still good for us, keeps hydration topped off, can keep cravings and false hunger down, good for the skin, flushing of any toxins, not like we’re not being bombarded my them daily in 2021! I definitely do way better when I’m drinking all day.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #47

Not many oceans on the African veldt, lol! But point taken, and many long-term carnivores do actually find that they get enough salt from their meat and don’t need to add any to their diet.

Fair enough. Different people, different lives, different areas, different needs. That’s the reason I refuse to base what I do on what people did a long time ago that didn’t live the lives we live (or that I live) now simply because we’re all human.

(Traci Simpson) #49

My muscle cramps went away when I reduced my liquid intake and my salt intake. I find that I need less and less salt on carnivore.

Serum insulin or serum glucose?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #51

Whoops! Fixed in the original. Thanks for catching that.

Because my body screams bloody murder if I don’t…? It’s not nice to suffer from a dry throat then drink 1,2, 3, 4, 5 glasses of water and it doesn’t help! I am a hedonist and simple enough. I am (really) hungry, I eat. I am thirsty, I drink.
I am surely not exactly normal regarding thirst, I reach the near unbearable phase super quickly. No idea why.

I don’t remember my childhood much but I changed anyway. I get overheated easily and I need water all the time. It makes perfect sense that a human should be without water for hours but it’s very unpleasant for me. It happens when I am busy (well, hooked on the Net) and it’s horrible… I do very much to avoid that! Drinking is nothing, I would do much, much more :smiley:
Never cared about other people’s opinion if it’s about my business :wink:

I actually CAN survive 90 minutes without water even while walking - but any running or a hot day and it’s no good. So yep, I bring my water bottle for my 45 minute walkings (and usually not use it but I like to be safe. I can get super parched in no time). Not to my 10 minutes walking/running though…

I drink my own tap water, sometimes carbonated water, they refill the bottles.
I usually drink when I get quite thirsty (and that happens so so often). And sometimes for fun but I am nearly always thirsty so they overlap…
I can’t overhydrate, my body is just that smart, it seems.
I eat little salt as I like it that way.

So I stick to whatever I am doing now :slight_smile:

(Edith) #53

I am up to supplementing two teaspoons of extra salt a day. My heart palpitations have stopped and I’m not having to drink so much water. My constant thirst has lessened.

(Bob M) #54

I also think our ancestors did things like drink the blood of their animals, and ate nose-to-tail.

Like @VirginiaEdie, I have to search for salty things (just ate my home-made, fermented pickle, quite salty) and add salt to my diet.

It’s still not clear to my why some of us are like this, and others aren’t.

I know I have the extra variable that I take carvedilol twice a day, which is a diuretic. However, I’ve been taking it for about 8.5 years, twice a day, and I’ve gone through phases where I seem to need less salt and less Mg, and also more salt and more Mg (as I do right now). Wish I knew why.

(Edith) #55

Yeah, I don’t have that as an excuse.

It would be really interesting to what the differences are.

I was told that my 20 coffees (my guess so quite bad. but it was over 10 for sure) yesterday were diuretic, no matter how weak :smiley: I don’t know or care about it (I drink all the time, even water sometimes ;)) but my body still don’t like salty stuff. I mean, I use salt but little. 1/4 teaspoon (1g) salt for a pound of roast seems perfect but maybe I am lower now? I rarely measure it. Last time it was perfect. Eggs have almost the perfect amount of sodium already.
I start to have problems with processed stuff if I eat them alone (I tend to eat everything alone though I like to pair things with eggs. I add eggs to everything :smiley: But not always). They are just too salty… Cheeses, processed meats… Not all but many of them are too salty. I stopped eating cheeses (sometimes I am a bit bored with my normal food and eat some but I never feel a desire and the amount is tiny), that helps.
I enjoy my processed stuff until I can :smiley:
Pickles are already way too sweet but they aren’t carnivore anyway, I just loved them in the past and my carnivore-ISH woe actually allows a little here and there. Many vegetables are too sweet, even with vinegar and salt.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #57

The diuretic effect of caffeine isn’t all that great that you really need to worry about it.

(Butter Withaspoon) #58

I go for long hikes, bikes, long runs and have noticed that I need less water than before (compared to higher carb diet). It’s hard to tell for sure, but I take the usual amount of water on an “all day” hike and return with half of it. The snacks/food I take contain more salt, and hopefully enough mineral and electrolytes (by including some vegetables/salad). My n=1 suggests that I’m better hydrated, certainly recovery is better.

For regular days I’ve changed to salting my meat dishes a bit less, not oversalting, and using my appetite for a well salted salad to get enough minerals. I hope this is a good way to get the potassium and magnesium along with my sodium. I should say that my method of salting a salad is to add some of my home fermented vegetables. As far as drinking water, I’ve never drunk a large amount during the day because I’m drinking so many cups of black tea with milk :slight_smile: That 8 glasses a day for “clear skin” or some such crap, always sounded a bit dumb.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #59

I guess if you are eating salad, you are not carnivore?

I definitely don’t worry or care about that, never did. I trust my thirst. My coffee hydrates me very well anyway (if I drink much of it)… It’s full with water with very little else, after all. All the times when I only drank coffee until the evening showed that it’s good enough for hydration - though I usually need little water until mid-afternoon anyway (I drink often but little). I drink my liters in the evening and at night. No idea why but I don’t need to know the inner workings of my body. I am curious and it’s good to know things but some will stay a mystery…