Salt Catastrophe! 7 day fat adapted fast

It’s been a week and a half since I broke my 7 day fast. I neglected to take enough salt during the fast and because woozy, dizzy on day 6. I supplemented with salt, magnesium, B vitamins, calcium, and multi vitamins that day. I had been doing high fat Carnivore eating for 6 weeks before starting the 7 day fast. I was following the Paleo Mendicina portocol for autoimmune support elimination diet with meat products no carbs no eggs no nuts no cheese. I was taking a daily multivitamin throughout the fast. I broke my fast with salty bone broth on the 7th day, I gained 7 pounds overnight, I had been loosing about 2 pounds a day. On day 1 of the fast my fasting blood sugar was 110 mg/dl, it dropped to 89 mg/dL by the 4th day, 6th day it was 74 mg/dL, then 92 mg/dL the 7th day. On the morning after breaking the fast, fasting blood sugar was 113 mg/dL and it has risen ever since to a constant fasting and non fasting range from 123-139 mg/dL, and it’s not going lower. How can my blood sugar level be a constant level about 108 then after a 7 day water fast increase and stay at 120-139? Was it the stress on my body from lack of salt? Now I have constant hyper-glycemia? Now, after I eat food, generally Carnivore meat products, blood sugars raise one to ten points at 1 hour post prandial or after 2 hours practically no rise. Blood sugar stays at the 120-139 range all the time. This has stayed the same for a week and a half, only one night after consuming very little mid-day and no carb foods, my blood sugars fell rapidly to 109 mg/dL at bedtime. I experimented with eating some carbs that night, I ate 4 carby crackers and had a blood sugar reading of 190 mg/dL. Eek! I’m a bit afraid to start fasting and cause more stress, but I’m getting concerned that my blood sugars are elevated beyond my pre-fast number at 108 mg/dL. What is going on? Is this Adaptive Glucose Sparing syndrome? Why won’t blood sugars go down, it is coming up on 2 weeks soon, my weight has stayed the same after the end of the fast. I am eating very little, I’m not sure what to do. I’m thinking I stressed my body due to lack of salt during the fast, I don’t like the blood sugars staying this high, but I also don’t want to re-stress myself. I took a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel blood test, the numbers are all normal save the elevated fasting glucose…Please help me figure out what is happening because of salt depravation during extended fasting? I hate to think what this elevated blood sugar is doing to my body 24/7 and anything I eat…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

I don’t think is because of the salt. How long have you been eating keto/carnivore? Are you diabetic? Did you have hyperglycemia before you started your WOE? :cowboy_hat_face:

You need more tests. I would get an insulin test both fasting and non-fasting. There are a few other tests for diabetes but I cannot remember what they are called off hand but I think if I saw 190 after a few crackers I would be worried as well. I do not see the point in a 7 day fast.

I hope it resolves.

(Windmill Tilter) #4

Did you wait 2hrs after eating the crackers to test blood glucose, or did you get that 190 reading right after eating the crackers?

Do you have any other symptoms?

I had a higher blood sugar after eating crackers due to it was about an hour after I’d eaten some nuts which I forgot about, and I waited about an hour after the crackers to take the reading. My blood sugar was already elevated, it became much higher after the crackers. I’m thinking that I might be having some sort of stress reaction from severe electrolyte misbalance. Or some sort of weird mutated Simogyi type reaction. Maybe the body remembers the stress for longer than expected, and stress hormones are coming into play. I worked really hard the last 2 months to get lower blood sugar numbers, I’ve been type 2 for a while, but want to do what it takes to change that. It’s heartbreaking that it’s so much worse. I fasted today and drank Keto Aide. My blood sugar numbers fell to 113, but then I did a 20 minute brisk walk and my numbers went up 20 points and stayed there. I’ve never been hyperglycemic, I have eaten Keto for about a year, and strict carnivore for the last 6 weeks right before the 7 day fast, I was very well fat burning adapted.

Update, yesterday I pounded the Keto Aide, took vitamins and minerals, did the same today and also took a small amount of potassium, fasted all day which moved my fasted blood glucose down to 89 mg/dL. Then ate 8oz of meat and some nuts, waited an hour, and had blood sugar reading of 119. Hopefully this continues. There’s an article on the Diet Doctor website that sounds similar to what I experienced. Hopefully this was a one off event.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fasting-blood-glucose-higher

(Henrietta Tubbola) #7

Careful with nuts, some are loaded with carbs, e.g. cashew nuts.

(Teb Tengri) #8

Hypophosphatemia is the major issue with refeeding. Did they measure phosphate on the panel? What was it?

Low phosphate affects glucose, particularly postprandial.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16391583/?i=2&from=/9660090/related

(Teb Tengri) #9

Maybe add a few days of milk to get natural phosphate supplementation