Salt - best way to get it

I think a lack of salt is the reason for the fatigue I’ve been feeling since starting Keto. I have both Celtic and Himalayan salt as well as bone broth. But what’s the best way to boost my sodium?

I’ve found that putting it under my tongue (per Megan Ramos) is less offensive than on my tongue, but I still can’t handle that much – maybe a pinch at a time.

Can I put 1/4 tsp. salt in water with lemon juice - as drinking just plain salted water is vile to me?

Do the salt tablets work equally as well?

I can’t imagine getting to the recommended 4-5 grams/day. Even the Birthright bone broth only has like 400-500 mg per serving. Sure, I salt my food, but I don’t think I’m getting all that much per serving.

(Carl Keller) #2

~A warm mug of salted bone broth
~Salting your food to taste
~Lightly salting your coffee
~Periodically tossing a dusting of salt under your tongue
~Using hot sauce on your food (poultry and eggs goes well with hot sauce). Most hot sauces have a ton of sodium in the them. Just be careful to avoid the carbier ones.

(bulkbiker) #3

I add it to my coffee a pinch at a time.

(Allie) #4

That’s all you need.

I also make capsules and take one as needed.

(Jody) #5

I add it to my water everyday, like 1 to 1 1/2 tsp to 32 oz and I nurse that during the day…more on fasting days. I hear you can add it to coffee too, but I haven’t tried that.

(Natasha) #6

If it fits your macros then halved, ripe cherry tomatoes are a great vehicle for a tonne of salt! :tomato:

I haven’t been able to stand drinking salt water, but I ate 5 olives and drank bone broth yesterday and managed to beat my fatigue completely - like no need for an afternoon nap, which is huge for me. So I’m happy.

I just ordered the Flow salt tablets, which have Redmond salt in them. Anybody have any experience with them?

Also - is it 4-5 grams of salt or 4-5 grams of sodium that’s recommended? It’s a big difference!

I’ve been drinking water with electrolyte drops that include sodium. I’m weaning off of those, and just switching to slightly salty water.

I also like to make salty lemonade (made with an artificial sweetener). Sometimes I have chicken broth, but the brand I buy doesn’t have a ton of salt, so I add some. And I salt my food pretty liberally.