Salt as an appetite suppressant

(Alec) #1

This seems to work. But why? Anybody know the science?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

When I first tried to do the bacon experiment for a week, I was drinking so much water due to the saltiness of the bacon that I filled myself up on water instead of bacon.

But I’m not sure that’s what you’re talking about.

(Alec) #3

I am really talking about when you take just a small amount of salt, your hunger just seems to go. Weird. I tried this last night, and it worked. I am getting the evening munchies again, and I have been getting back into the habit of eating something small just before going to bed. Not sure this is helping me!! :scream:

So, last night, when I was in the kitchen doing the habit thing, I thought, let’s try the salt thing. And it worked. I just don’t know why. I like to know why things work.

(Rocky B) #4

Me too. I have found a pinch of Himalayan salt kills my hunger and keeps it at bay for several hours but don’t know why. Hope someone has an explanation.

(Michelle) #5

I notice the same thing. Actually tonight I had a couple of bourbon-on-the-rocks and needed a little something afterward. I am trying to only drink on weekends. So I grabbed my jar of organic smuckers natural peanut butter and got a spoonful. What makes it satisfying is the salt. The actual peanut butter has very little salt in it, so i cracked some Himalayan sea salt into it and stirred it up. The salt grinder leaves lots of chunks as well as finely ground salt. Crunching those little salt crystals was so satisfying and totally hit the spot.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #6

Bourbon, PB and salt. Love Keto🤣

There are studies on dry mouth, something which I suffered from. People with dry mouth tend to eat to get rid of the feeling of dry mouth, confuse it with hunger, and in doing so gain weight! Salt moistens the tongue followed by a thirst for water which fills you up.

(less is more, more or less) #8

This has been my experience. Yesterday, I had a tablespoon of salt before my eight-mile run, and then another tablespoon after completing my run, with generous portions of water. I usually nap a couple hours after my run, but the extra shot of salt gave me a surprising amount of energy, and I was fine to wait for dinner, instead of cracking open pork rinds or Parmesan crisps.

I’ve been meaning to read Phinney and Volek’s tome on low carb performance:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BYG7RW/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_b2609328962?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1&ie=UTF8&pldnSite=1

In the meanwhile, this might be helpful?

https://blog.virtahealth.com/sodium-nutritional-ketosis-keto-flu-adrenal-function/

(LeeAnn Brooks) #9

Do you really mean a tablespoon? Not a teaspoon?

(less is more, more or less) #10

Yes.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #11

How do you take it? In your water?

(less is more, more or less) #12

Yes, with about 12 ounces of water. Any less and it’s difficult to swallow.

(less is more, more or less) #13

Another entry: Dr Westman on LCHF and salt. Nothing there about appetite suppression, however. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J-bqQSUUgA

(Michelle) #14

My mouth is watering just thinking of your tablespoon of salt. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

(KCKO, KCFO) #15

Check out this episode on the Salt Fix, be sure to read the links listed for the episode as well.

(Joy) #16

Respect! You’re incredible, and I’m agog and … a-gag. Even a little salt in water and my stomach responds with “Family Guy”-style projectile vomiting. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I’ll be sticking with my salty green olives fix.

I’ve experienced this. I just assumed that I had been mistaking craving salt for hunger, and not any suppressant effect.

(Alec) #18

Ok, I am now a salt chasing junkie. I am listening again and again to this dudes episode (thank you for the reminder @collaroygal). There is so much in there, it is hard to take it all in. The hunger suppression wasn’t directly mentioned, but they talked quite a bit about body signals calling for salt, and I am interpreting that to be hunger. So more salt intake depresses the hunger signal which is actually calling for salt.

Anyway, I have bought myself some pink Himalayan and I am sucking on a bit of salt every hour! I am on a fast today, and we shall see if the hunger that has struck me recently when on fasts is removed or lessened by salt intake. I shall report back.

(less is more, more or less) #19

I check my blood pressure daily, at the YMCA, after my work-out. When I’ve gone too high on salt intake, I’ve had the tendency towards hypertension. This is how I’ve formulated my “tablespoon” amount. At 6’ 1", 220 lbs, I’m sure YMMV. I’m open that my salt intake and BP are unrelated, but the correlation in my life has been strong. Without salt, my BP is fantastic. It does give a kick for the day, energy-wise.

(Alec) #20

Kyle, I think it is clear that salt does raise BP. But I am hypotensive, so I need more salt. In fact, as I write this post, it is all suddenly becoming clear…

1. I have been more hungry than normal
  2. My BP has been at record low levels (110/55)
  3. I have been getting the evening munchies again. When I eat some salt the evening munchies go away
  4. Been doing a lot of running, hence sweating salt out
  5. My focus on getting electrolytes in has been lax
  6. I have been pretty good, diet wise, on processed food: ie I have not eaten processed food at all for over 3 months now. I am sure processed food = salt intake

So, I am convinced it’s the salt. I am now a salt junkie, give me salt STAT!