Salmon recipe (and mTOR) - Dr. Peter Attia

science

(Bunny) #1

Greetings -

By popular demand, I’m sharing my Dad’s salmon recipe, with the following caveat: I learned to cook from my Dad without recipes. Everything was “a bit of this” and “some more of that.” I grew up in my Dad’s restaurant and sort of took for granted how much I learned by being there. Didn’t sink in until I got to college and saw the other kids (you know, pop tarts for dinner and all).

Start with salmon of your choice, but make sure it has the skin on it.

1. Wash with water (protip: and a small touch of salt) and cut into slices about 2 inches wide
  1. Prepare the marinade (I’m super lazy and these days mix in a bowl with a fork, but if you want to be a ninja about it, use a blender):

•Base: 2 parts extra virgin olive oil (don’t skimp on the quality of the EVOO), 1 part freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 part dry white wine (or water)
•Spices: start with the main mixture (do this in bulk):
•Garlic powder - about a third
•Cumin - about a third
•All else (in descending order, totaling the remaining third)
•Mustard (ground)
•Coriander
•Lemon pepper
•Dried onion
•Mustard, one to 2 teaspoons (your choice, but does not need to be fancy)
•Dill weed optional (I like a lot, but some don’t so I keep it out of the main mix)
•Additional salt for those who like it (I do)

1. Blend the hell out of it and it should become emulsified and about the consistency of the olive oil
  1. Lather up the salmon, top and bottom, and let it soak skin side down for 15-30 min (but no longer, or the lemon juice will start to pickle the salmon)
  1. Grill on a low heat, skin on the grill (works much better on cast iron than stainless steel bbq) to your temp choice. Serve like this (i.e., don’t flip it)

More important than my Martha Stewart moment, I’m excited for the release of tomorrow’s episode with my close friend David Sabatini (aka mTOR Man to his friends). For anyone that knows me, there’s not much more I like thinking about than rapamycin, mTOR, and longevity. I was a kid in a candy store when we recorded this last summer at MIT. I suspect David and I will do this again. And again. And again. Such discussions are not meant for one sitting.

• Peter

For a list of all previous weekly emails, click here.

Released a new episode this morning August 13, 2018: David Sabatini, M.D., Ph.D.: rapamycin and the discovery of mTOR — the nexus of aging and longevity? (EP.09).

I get a little confused by your posts, are you Dr. Peter Attia or are you just citing his work?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

Getting tired of thumping the drum about why mTOR is not relevant for a ketogenic population.

AMPK is activated during fasting and when fat adapted (which is a form of fasting, as far as your body knows). AMPK down regulates mTOR. So, eat yer protein, and don’t worry about living forever.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

While I live a comfortable life, I couldn’t afford to live forever. I’m just concerned about the quality of my life today, since that is all I really have.

Do you have some links to the AMPK info?

(Bunny) #5

Just email about upcoming shows!

(Bunny) #6

Thump thump thump!

Extremely relevant for us cancer peeps!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #7

I know I’ve linked this stuff and broken it down somewhere before… If only I kept a journal about this stuff:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/lechefs-midlife-crisis-a-turnaround-project/32600/77

It’s all laid out there. It might be more complicated than I’ve laid it out, but Dr. Mike Eades was the original source, and I, literally, trust him with my life. :wink:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #8

You do what you want, but keto will suppress mTOR, without unnecessary low protein intake levels. But whatever.

(Bunny) #9

Uhmmm! ok

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #10

non sequitur much?