Runner....new to keto\low carb

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

Except, of course, if you are trying to keep your insulin low.

Update time… Another week down and a lb down(133 lbs)… Easy pace down into the 11-12 min range… Harder efforts are coming down as well … Energy up during the day even after runs and morning feeding(mostly Hamburg, eggs, avacado and maybe some berries)… If I’m hungry again by 2:30pm I just have a can or two of sardines… Dinner is where most of my carbs land… Potentials are carrots, cabbage, a little potatoe, sweet potato and/or a half cup of berries… None of these cause any intestinal upsets for me…pre hard workout/long runs are a half banana and some PB but I’m finding it may not be necessary for my long runs)… Always making adjustment along the way!!

(David Cooke) #23

How did I miss this posting? Interesting.
Reading your post I realise that I also went through this stage, took me two years for my body to think of it as normal, now I can concentrate on running technique…
My daily program (even on ‘rest’ days I’ll take the dog for a really easy run of 2 K): coffee, water, a little salt by 5am, then out. Come back to as big a breakfast as I can manage, eat again around midday. That’s my last meal, unless I allow myself a small beer which screws up my intermittent fasting of course but doesn’t make much difference to my running performance.For me this is the most important marker of health.
I am probably 5 Kg overweight, I only got down to an ideal weight for a runner, once at the beginning of my Keto journey.

Nice…well done:)…my Body seems to have adjusted pretty well for the most part…next week I have a 5k time trial so I’m being a little more generous with my carbs as a test but no where near what my carb count was pre low carb. Aiming for sub 24 min…minimal amount of 1 1/2 hr long run through the summer so it will be tough.
In general prior to this week this is what my schedule looked like:
Prior to am easy runs:
1/2 a hydrator with water(I use LMNT)
Run anywhere from 1-1/2 hrs
Post run: Hamburg and 2 eggs and coffee… sometimes an avocado
If I’m feeling like I need more I have an afternoon snack of a can or two of sardines
Dinner- again Hamburg (occasionally chicken) and some type of veggies…most veggies I digest pretty good.
Harder workout days:
I add some type of carb the day before and following the workout trying to stick with ones that are nutrient dense but also testing and I like variety…some choices are: banana, PB, chocolate, sweet potato, white potatoes, and Ezekiel bread.
Weight is maintaining right now and when my race is over next week I will fall back to much less carbs… I’ll reset the body with a week off running and then I start 1/2 marathon training:)
Hope all is well:)

On hard days have some carbs, both pre and post-run if you want to get faster. Your body will still need carbs at higher intensities. I will consume 150+ grams of carbs on high-intensity exercise days with no adverse weight gain.

(David Cooke) #26

Zach Bitter goes Keto most of the time and he trains hard. Meaning he’s fat adapted. A week or so before a race he gets “carb adapted” so I guess he aims for the best of both worlds.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

I wouldn’t think so. A number of studies have shown that the number of calories burned by exercise is not capable of burning off very much fat at all. However, exercise has many other benefits, among them healing mitochondria and boosting the metabolism.

If you have excess fat to shed, the easiest way to do that is to eat a low-carb/ketogenic diet.

That’s not very much… Walking 40 km a day with much elevation and in frost without bringing food, that probably helps, I only had one day once, I liked mountain hiking… :smiley: But even then, it was me and I couldn’t eat a ton afterwards, some people could :wink:

It may help. It allegedly helped people. But walking uses so little energy that unless you do it all day, it means little and it’s super easy to balance out and more with eating.
Some people gets hungrier if they exercise more. I get less hungry if I walk, usually so it should help me - but I just overeat less, still no fat-loss.

Walking is great, mostly not for fat-loss but people like me should be thankful for every little help there too :wink: Some walking, maybe some cardio, some strength training, a good diet and proper food intake and we go somewhere :wink: Not everyone needs this all, of course but diet and the amount of food is important for health and plays the biggest role in fat loss. Of course, there are zillion other factors and one person is more sensitive to some than others. My fat-loss is mostly controlled by my calorie intake (my energy need doesn’t change so much) as far as I can tell, it’s definitely my experience but I am a very simple case regarding that.

I lost nothing when I walked 70km a week with elevation as I ate too much.

There is the thing when the body gets used to regular exercise and less energy is needed for it. It still burns energy, clearly but less than one may think. Not like one can have much idea about it, it can’t be calculated and I heard calculators are pretty bad at guessing it anyway. Makes sense, people doing physical work doesn’t need THAT many extra calories, usually…

As long as one eats the right amount. Lucky ones do it automatically, of course.
And there are some items interfering, sweeteners, dairy, people talk about many of these things…
But low-carb is a great start for many of us :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

I’m not in favour of the “eat less, move more” school of weight loss. That’s a recipe for hunger.

Sure, it works over the short term, but eventually the hunger becomes overwhelming, and people eat. Better to eat the right foods, and eat them in abundance. That way, the body ends up speeding up the metabolism and burning off more energy (especially in the form of fat) than it would otherwise. Eating to satiety on a ketogenic diet actually raises the metabolic rate and increases fatty-acid metabolism, as contradictory as that sounds.