Rudolph the Red Meat Ruminant

(Daisy) #149

I put a pack of drumsticks in the smoker Saturday and completely forgot about them. Burned them quite badly. But I don’t waste food, so they are on my platter today. Dipped in chefshamy garlic butter and air fried back to warm. Then the omelette is the rest of the pizza toppings from Friday night. I found a beef stick in my husband’s lunch box this morning, partially eaten. I asked him about it and he said it was disgusting, to throw it away. Not me! It got added to my omad :joy: this was a trash can worthy meal that I made into mostly deliciousness :joy:
image image image

[yesterday]
Got hungry before noon… Oh well. I made my own sausages from pork shoulders and a little bit of pork jowl (just the fat part. this piece has a nice amount of meat in it, yay, I enjoy that precious thing alone, wouldn’t mix it into something) and spices, of course… Needs more spice but it was good. And ate a few eggs. I don’t need much food that early but it probably wasn’t very small as I ate all the fatty sausages…

I roasted some pork thigh (Alvaro ate some and left all the sausages for me) and a turkey wing. I simply can’t make the skin crispy, only in a pan.

Then I started to read the article, I don’t know why. Though I met a few articles in my life I agreed with… It’s just my own more or less vague thoughts about my not too far future, nothing else.

Oh I know that :smiley: It could never work for me unless I figure out things. I can’t get satiated with little food, after all, no matter the protein content (I guess. I can’t eat mostly protein so no idea what would happen). I always need LOTS of protein and LOTS of fat. I just try to figure out the minimum amount of fat (and protein. carbs too but that’s no problem on carnivore) and eat only that much somehow. Not forcefully or through tracking, I can’t do that. Normally, using the right timing and food choices. I put my hopes into leaner cuts like pork thigh and chuck. Chuck is totally leaner in my world now… It’s fun eating pork shoulders with pork jowl but I too easily overeat fat that way while not getting as much meat as I would like sometimes. My “meat need” went up I think. I am not content with half a pound per day. Maybe due to the lack of dairy, maybe something else. 1 pound a day was unbearably high a year ago (I went way higher but very very rarely and then my meat intake plummeted for a few days), now it’s a cute amount and I may want more, not every day but regularly. Protein need, meat need, energy need, fat-loss goals… They should be in balance and I had certain problems this far. It wasn’t so bad but not good enough.

Some people do should play with the macros right away. I had to eat “lean” in the very beginning to avoid nausea. Well it wasn’t bothering with macros just choosing the fattiness of my food, pretty normal but it caused the macro changes.
And I was already used to needing to minimize my fat intake. I try to do that since day one on low-carb to avoid (massive) overeating.
But yep, for a while I thought I can get away with fatty meat if I just stay away from added fat as much as I comfortably can. I still think so, actually but it’s better to try everything that points into the right direction (as long as it’s not too overwhelming) as I WILL mess up some points here and there, I will get hungrier days… I want to try a tad harder after ~9 years of stalling (and sometimes gaining but that wasn’t significant except the stress gain and I needed quite bad eating for that and I am not prone to that nowadays).

Nope, I mean not necessarily… It’s low calorie if the calorie intake is low. Eating less but still enough for our goals isn’t low-calorie in my books. Eating lean meat and that’s it is probably starving, yep, we shouldn’t go too lean.

[today]
I think I delete the other stuff here. It was okay to think but it’s for myself. The only thing I wanted to say that there are simply NO general percentages. There can’t be unless it’s some therapeutic keto. We have very different energy need, protein need, taste and so many other things. Going below 70% fat or over 90% is simply a necessity for some people due to the mentioned and other factors. Probably most of us have some not very wide individual range as options and going beyond is simply wrong. Mine is pretty normal, maybe 60-80% but it’s almost impossible for me to avoid overeating at 80. And 60% is hard due to my tastes (and I dislike wasting too much protein as well and burden my body with it. I am fine with high protein but there are a limit as I have a human body. not like I could eat too much protein from my own will, I automatically start to want fat if I go high. so I don’t need to worry about that). Someone who eats quite little (because they need that or just can’t eat more and it’s okay for them) may not afford 70% fat at all and need to stay lower (simple math if we know the need in grams, the actual woe has little to do with that). Grams are important, in some cases percentages too due to reasons (nausea, taste, therapeutic keto) but they often just happen to fall somewhere and people with the same protein need and very very different energy need probably won’t have the same limits and ideal numbers.
But if one is lucky, they won’t even have much idea about their percentages, they just eat whatever they feel like and things still will be good. That’s my goal but I am not there yet. Maybe some months later.

That’s about it for now. I can’t want to play with things next year :smiley: But now I try to get my mind off of it.
I change my attitude to December too often lately. I decided I just relax and not to track (except the meat and eggs, that will be the majority of my food anyway), I really should start to bake things already and experiment and I will taste this and that. Probably not too much though but I can’t focus on everything now and OMAD is the most important point for me in December especially that my mostly egg and meat eating is automatic.

Today I eat pork and eggs and that’s about it, probably. It will be NOFUSS today, it’s after 4pm and I am still satiated but I ate much yesterday (I stopped tracking at some point but it was a normal higher-cal but not crazy day), I was quite hungry and ate multiple times. Finally a really meaty day (it’s easy to do with leaner meat), hopefully it helps with today and it will have a nice, convenient OMAD dinner. Alvaro ate much meat for him as well but he has no other options right now. But he doesn’t seem to mind and that’s pretty convenient for me.

@Ketodaisy: I don’t throw away food either, it’s good we have animals though. But if something is meat and still at least borderline edible, I probably eat it. I usually need some very serious situation to eat lean meat (especially chicken breast) but it happened before (there are ways to make even that good enough. in small amounts) and I am never forced to do it as Alvaro adores super lean meat and even the dry, stupid breast :D. Meanwhile I adore fatty meat but we have enough common ground. And the cats adore almost anything animal and the chickadees can help with tallow. Not much food waste happens in this household and it’s never meat or fat or skin.

…And that’s about my salmon spread I guess. I started to taste the tiny starch in it. It was a nice occasional spread, the biggest part is salmon, quite low-carb, I don’t worry about my body if I eat the ingredients as the amount is so tiny and my body handles it as it handles the way bigger negative things in a human life even if we do everything well… But the taste or rather the texture is off.

I think I will make my own spreads in the future. These are too big and too salty anyway and it’s better to put only good enough stuff inside. I very rarely need such a thing but sometimes it comes handy. My newest biscuit (egg and pork) ended up not enough salty, a bit dry and the taste wasn’t the best either, too much boiled egg yolks I suppose… So the spread made it way better. Anyway, variety.

My meal was… Okay but not so great. I want pork chuck again, that’s the right thing for me. Not too lean, not too fatty and if I am lucky, wonderfully marbled.

Oh my, I forgot to include my photo in the previous comment, I go and put it in…

(Daisy) #152

Yeah my trash can meal left me wrecked. I had to take a couple hours off work

Poor you! I feel okay, I meant the enjoyment only. My body tends to be very okay on this style.
And I don’t think I met many food items that could make me feel actually bad.

I’ve just tracked, smallish OMAD meal (no wonder, I had a higher-cal day yesterday and I have lean pork) , I managed 67% fat only because I ate some really fatty items :slight_smile: I wonder what happens if I don’t do that… (Probably would miss fat like crazy but the leanish pork itself is easy to eat.)

My biceps is aching but it will get used to it, I don’t want to make only one biceps exercise on my full body workout :smiley: I make two and zero leg exercise, perfect.
Alvaro joined me at chest press as it is too boring for him to wait for the time when he has to get off the weight from me. He is a tiny bit stronger, it seems - but maybe not just stands suffering more. But probably a bit stronger and obviously would get better rapidly while I wouldn’t if he would lift but nope, he only does this one exercise and only if I need help. But I always need it since I use my big bar (21.5 kg but not for long).
I am getting better again, the last 1-2 weeks were bad but it seems I will be able to raise my weights again ~. YAY!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #154

To All You Carnivores! If you haven’t yet, watch this video.

(Karen) #155

Up fairly early today as 8 had a tel appt with the stroke team psychologist. An hour and twenty minutes later and she deemed me to be well balanced with positive outlook and coping strategies … but should I find things going downhill when I return to work to call her! She was lovely. I have been so fortunate to get all the support and quick follow up appts by the stroke and cardiology teams.

Went out and about today and spent a pretty penny on bird food more planters decorative gravel for the pots and herbs to put in them. My car smelt divine on the way home. I shall put them outside my back door for the aroma as that is where I sit when the sun is shining.
Was about to make a late late brunch at 3.45 when mt friend Raymond needed help to get to the doctors surgery so food had to wait till I returned home later at 5.30. I stuck some spicy chicken wings in oven and finally had first meal of the day st 6pm ish. Folloed by some cheese.

The spicy was a bit too spicy and affected my tum a bit. Took a couple of rennies and it has settled now.

Line manager visiting tomorrow so another early rise.

Yay! :slight_smile:
I am not very good with words in some situations but I wish you positive things, good physical and mental health! I never knew what to say in the last weeks but I wish well!

(Linda ) #157

I’m l so late to the thread today because last night I started reading bears writings and couldn’t put it down…he was a no nonsense type of personality but I decided as I said in a earlier post if i want to learn I get it from the veterans…I’ve learned so much from Fangs and others here but I’m always looking to learn more so what better way to learn than from somone that lived the carnivore plan for nearly 50 years … so when this showed up in my fb feed I went to the link and started reading…

What I learned from him so far is reinforcing the veterans don’t mess with it trying to control macros meal times and how often we eat is dieting…

His plan was really simple and I’m going to try to start following it…what is it?
His style of zero carb is If you are stalled or not losing is to cut carbs to only 5 grams. Yes I mean in our carnivore foods…because not losing means we still eating too many carbs. That sets off our insulin

He also suggests as Blake Donaldson did… no salt as it can stop weight loss and he said the side affects from lowering it are because it’s we can get addicted…but it affects our metabolism,skin and kidneys he says if our sweat is salty we are dumping it and we have too much In Our bodies

For losing weight and hunger he says we are not eating enough fat if we stall or don’t get to our goals or too just too many carbs… hunger means our fat is too low as well.
he suggests eat fat in your meat first until your no longer wanting more then eat the leaner part of what ever meat your eating
His plan included coffee ,cream, spices ,eggs, cheeses, dairy{not too much cheese because it can constipate) and of course meat… but he said don’t over cook the meat…the rarer the better
He also stated we make the mistake of thinking that dietary fat makes us fat but it’s the carbs in the foods i.e/meat /sauces/ dairy or vegetation we eat …because fat we eat stays in our blood til we use it/burn it.

So today I started with thick cut picanha and ate the fat first and 1 egg I then started on the leaner part of the steak but could not finish my meal.

(Linda ) #158

You have done so well with your recovery it’s been amazing to watch you rebound so fast…im so happy for you that your have done so well.

@Karen18, so happy things are falling easily into place and your healing is doing so well! You got a great support system around you :slight_smile:

@Azi
yup. the Bear shows truths in zc. As do so many of the long term veterans. Key about carnivore, don’t fudge ‘too much’ in ANY direction, then it is not zc at all. I also inhaled tons of info from Bear and more vets and simplest we keep zc the better we do point blank.

--------------doing fine
got me a nice steak for later and might pair up with chicken or shrimp. I am kinda shrimp’d out a bit :slight_smile: but darn I love them but some chicken might be a good side. Dinner, not sure, got burgers so that is always handy and if I eat great on this first meal, burger is all I might be wanting.

keeping it simple. I am gearing up my brain for Jan. when ‘I change me’ to the better on zc. I feel great but I feel ‘stagnant’ and maybe need that tiny change in the right direction and get some new feelings and new vibrancy going down in my eating. Just some things I want to work on.

(Karen) #160

Thank you @Shinita … i am not terribly good at finding the right words either xx😘

(Karen) #161

Can you send me the fb link for The Bear please it sounds very interesting. 8 have never heard of him x

(Karen) #162

So line manager visited this morning. He always turns up on time which is so good. I like prompt people.

He stayed about am hour and a half… me doing all the talking again… I can talk for England. He got me up to scratch on the return to work and how we would do it and where he might be able to put me. First 13 weeks starts with first day popping in and having a mooch around chatting to everyone which no doubt will be a biy overwhelming followed by 25% then 50% then 75% of my my part time hours before fully part time again. He said he had no intention of rushing me back into anything which sounds all good.

Then came brunch at a better time of 12.30, more of a normal time for me and I had Mexican spiced chicken breast sauted in butter with melted cheese. Fortunately not as spicy as yesterdays chicken wings so my tum coped admirably with it

Then after garden rescue on tv, I got on with putting those herbs into my planter. I’m sitting outside, as it was sunny but now just starting to cloud over again, and I can hear the birds singing very loudly and the slight breeze is wafting the smell of the herbs to my nostrils. Utterly divine! I am really pleased with my first attempt at this gardening malarkey :laughing:

I have a steak ready defrosted for later… with cooking roast pork and all these different things I haven’t squeezed any beef in and I am definitely missing it… energy and taste wise.

(Robin) #163

All in all, life is good, right? You are chugging right along!

(Heather) #164

Wow! So many good posts to reflect on regarding “tweaking” with ZC. I have tried leaner eating, higher fat, cardio, weight training, no exercise, no salt, no dairy…the gamut.

I would still like to lose another 15 pounds or so, but I guess what it boils down to for me is, how bad do I want it? When I eat too lean, my body lets me know. When I eat more fat, I get satiated more quickly, but I can only do that for a few days before my body is screaming for more protein. It’s amazing how clearly our bodies speak to us on ZC.

I have settled upon weight training and eating what my body is calling for and being good with that. I would like to get rid of the additional fat on my thighs and stomach, but I also understand that I am a 48 year-old perimenopausal woman who gave birth to 4 children. I am never going to have the super lean body I’d like. I’ve never had that body and never will.

I wish the number on the scale was as meaningless to me as I know it should be–I’m weight training, I know in my head that muscle weighs more than fat. I have actually seen the muscles develop in my biceps, so I know it’s working, but it’s so hard for me to let go of that stupid digital number that I see every morning. When I take a break from weight training, the number on the scale goes down. Why? Because the water retention in the muscles goes away and I lose water weight. I get so happy to see that number drop, but I also hate to lose the progress I’ve made by stopping altogether. It’s such a mental battle for me…

I need to just learn to embrace the NSV of ZC and be happy where I am. I have stayed at basically the same weight for the past 8 months. I am healthy, happy and have absolutely zero desire for any carbs. That is a win-win in my book!

(Robin) #165

I have gone down an entire pants size during a month long stall on the scales. Those scales are not worth the head games, IMO.

(Heather) #166

Yeah, everything is status quo for me—no drop in pant size. I’m wearing size 6 to 8. Maybe I’m at my body’s set point for where it wants to be.

(Daisy) #167

@Azi I would also love a link!
@Redrobins I completely understand all you’re saying! It’s so hard! I avoid the scale for months because, like you, I’ve tried it all and get so frustrated. Right now I am doing omad and exercise. I eat to the point that I literally can’t eat anymore. Some meals are higher fat, some higher protein. Some are 1300 calories, some 1900 calories. It’s just what it is. I have been consistently losing weight all week. I am sure it’s about to stop or go back up, it always does, but I’m enjoying the daily weigh ins as long as it keeps dropping :joy:

Speaking of omad: here is today’s: I attempted to eat the rest of the burned chicken drumsticks. I over heated them in the air fryer so that they were almost inedible. But I got most of it down. Plus bone broth jello, a bacon/feta omelette, and a small piece of leftover salmon.

(Heather) #168

I have tried OMAD, but I get nauseous if I don’t eat more than once a day and my body feels really dissatisfied. 1300-1900 calories per day? Wow! No wonder I don’t lose anything! I consume 2400-3000 per day! If I go much lower than that my body gets angry-LOL.