Rouladen (german braised beef rolls)

(Ross) #1

https://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/rouladen-german-braised-beef-rolls

While in Ann Arbor visiting family a few weeks back I took everyone out to eat at Metzger’s. I thought I might have to take some liberties, perhaps even going to the “light red” Banting list, but was pleasantly surprised to find so much on the menu that was very Keto friendly!

I settled on the Rouladen. I never had it before but thought it was hard to go wrong with bacon & pickles wrapped in steak. I was right. Damn it’s good!

Loved it so much I’m going to make it for the Xmas Eve party up here in MN!

(German Ketonian) #2

Awesome! One of my favorite dishes! And speaking as a German ketonian, I also made a even more keto-friendly version of it with avocado filling and serving the meat with a butter-lard sauce. Just amazing!

(Ross) #3

Ooooo that sounds great!

The version at Metzger’s was baked in a tomato sauce which I loved. Ann Arbor was settled by Swabians, so that may be a regional variant.

(German Ketonian) #4

Tomato sauce sound delicious! Traditionally, Rouladen are served with a dark gravy, containing quite some carbs. And, of course, Rotkohl (sugar-marinated red cabbage) and Kartoffelklöße (potato dumplings) get served in conjunction with the meat.

Of course, that’s the obesity-diabetes version of it :wink: My girlfriend and I also tried fried cauliflower dumplings and lard-cooked kale as a substitute for the red cabbage and the potato dumplings and avocado-heavy whipping cream sauce, which was heavenly! Definitely a recommendation!

(German Ketonian) #5

Oh by the way, here’s the traditional Swabian version. Keto-friendly with egg-filling! Had those at my parents in law and just inhaled them! So good!!

(Ross) #6

my GF’s family is Sweedish and they have their own version of kartoffelklöße called “kroppkakor” so yes I’m familiar. Have made them for many Christmas Eve parties!

I did have kartoffelpfannkuchen with the rouladen (potatoes are OK under Banting on a limited basis. I don’t make a habit of it but will eat them under special circumstances. I like good kartoffelpfannkuchen better than kartoffelklöße!

(Ross) #7

Oh my! That does look amazing! Bacon, eggs and beef? How can you go wrong with that?!?!?!?!? It’s like the ultimate perfect meal! I’ve seen some versions that add sour cream. That might also make a fabulous keto topping!

(German Ketonian) #8

The only thing beating that would be frying it with cheese. I recently combined Köttbullar with Swiss fondue. I tell you, dipping meatballs in melted cheese… that’s the ticket!

(Ross) #9

I see the use tomato paste in the Swabian version so there you go!

(German Ketonian) #10

Oh, and the Swabian egg variant also contains bacon, just to top it off

(German Ketonian) #11

Yes, it’s used to refine and enrich the dark gravy

(Ross) #12

I think you just convinced me to make the Swabian version for our Christmas party! Maybe I’ll pair it with some nice braised red cabbage.

(German Ketonian) #13

Hope I’m invited! :smiley: Sounds great! We are going to have Swiss raclette

(Ross) #14

Of course my keto buddy! :slight_smile:
Wow, never heard of Raclette! I’ll have to look it up!

(Sophie) #15

My hubby is from Munchen and I use hard boiled eggs and bacon in my Rouladen. It’s awesome! I also bake duck for Weinhnach.