Roasting your own coffee beans

(Arlene) #1

Isn’t that sacrilegious? :wink: I unashamedly call myself a coffee snob. This lovely brew is a vital part of my quiet morning “me” time. I even go so far as to buy the green beans and roast them in my oven every week so I can have fresh roasted coffee every day at a fraction of the cost to have someone else roast it for me. Now THAT’S a coffee snob, don’t you think? Actually once I found out how easy it is to roast my own, I stopped buying the store stuff.

Sugar-Free, Sugar's Equally Villainous Side-Kick
(Stickin' with mammoth) #2

So’s my bank statement.

(cqtcmg) #3

You’ve got me beat! I consider myself a coffee snob, too. Only when things were financially very, very tough for my husband and I did I let myself buy coffee at the grocery store. I now buy coffee online from a place that sells good coffee beans, and then I grind them as I need them, fresh every morning. I never thought to roast them myself! On the topic, though, I think when I was younger (like 20 years or so ago) I could handle artificial sweeteners better. I used to drink Diet Pepsi like it was going out of style, but it never triggered cravings for me. Now, however, if I make something taste too sweet, it will make me hungry. I drink my coffee with a teaspoon of HWC and that’s it.

(David) #4

Do you roast once a week, and then grind them as you need them?

Do you use a filter machine, or only use a course grind setting, and use a cafetierre?

(Arlene) #5

Green beans have a very long shelf life, but once roasted the flavor quality diminishes quickly. Green beans are less than half the price of roasted beans. It only takes 20 minutes, spread out on a cookie sheet in a 500 degree oven to roast a batch, but a good exhaust fan is essential for the smoking that naturally occurs. I like a dark roast of Ethiopian Zirgacheffe beans, but you have lots of options when you seek out green beans.

(Megan) #6

My friend used to buy green coffee beans online then roast then in a popcorn air popper. Always wanted to try it.

(Arlene) #7

Yes, I tried the popcorn popper, and even a small non-commercial coffee roaster. While these methods worked to some extent, I have found using a cookie sheet in a 450 - 500 degree oven to be the best method, and I can roast a weeks worth of coffee in just 20 minutes this way., plus I don’t have the noise of the first two options. I have roasted coffee this way for years. I am the kind of cook that likes to keep things simple, yet effective.

Must not have smoke detectors. I use a Behmor , and despite it’s smoke control, I have to use it outside.

(Arlene) #9

Like I mentioned earlier, you have to have a VERY good exhaust fan over your stove. Most exhaust fans are just inadequate to handle the amount of smoking that naturally occurs with roasting coffee beans, without a window open nearby. We do have smoke alarms in our home, but my exhaust fan is very large because I have a gas stove. This size of exhaust fan is not required for electric stoves.

Not sure where you get your greens, but I’ll point you over to http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/.

Very good pricing and the buyers for the club can be trusted to provide the best cupping notes.

(Arlene) #11

I get organic green beans from Deans Beans. I buy 50 pounds at a time to get the best shipping value, then split this box with a neighbor. Very reasonable prices.

Looking at their pricing, you’d probably save $1-$2 a pound depending on the bean.

Thought this deserved to be a new topic.

(Arlene) #14

I don’t keep track. I roast when I use up the last batch. When I roast, I keep the roasted beans in a 1/2 gallon mason jar. I have a Capresso grinder (a Christmas present of a few years back), so I grind up my beans as I need them, then I use an old-fashioned percolator to make the coffee. I went to the percolator because I prefer the flavor over french presses and automatic drip coffee makers, plus the percolator has no plastic parts in contact with the coffee, and I’m trying to avoid plastic whenever I can.

(Arlene) #15

Check out the bulk pricing. It looks like I still have the best price option, in that I buy 50 pounds at a time. Maybe my math is off. Check it out.

Where do they list the bulk prices? All I could find is a disclaimer that they don’t wholesale green coffee beans.

(Arlene) #17

When you choose a variety, click in the amount area. Using the 5 lb. option, I click in 10 units which equals 50 pounds. If you go further, to the point of putting in your zip code to get the shipping cost, you know the total before you place your order.

It looks like there is no advantage to buying the larger quantity pricewise, you still pay the base rate 1lb - 50lb.

(Arlene) #19

Ok, so tell me what you pay for your coffee for a 5 pound bag, including all the extra charges and shipping. Bottom line; what is it actually costing you?

I’m just trying to get the best price, if you have a better one, I want it. With shipping fees, I usually pay between $5 - $8 a pound, base prices from $3-$5. It depends on the bean. I have paid as much as $19 a pound for a nice Yemeni that retailed at $30.

I’m particular enough about my coffee that I won’t buy 50lbs(and I have) without cupping notes to know what I’m getting. Last years Yirgacheffe with it’s wonderful blueberry may be more chalky this year.