Roasted Beef Chuck w/Horseradish Parsley sauce (Cook's Country)

(Bob M) #1

Cook’s Country is a PBS show in the US. It’s very similar to America’s Test Kitchen.

Anyway, this was great (WARNING: you have to start the day before to get the roast to rest with salt and pepper on it):

https://www.copymethat.com/r/RsUjiwsYU/roasted-beef-chuck-with-horseradish-pars/

The sauce is great, too.

It recommends a 5 pound chuck roast. I got 6 pounds at Costco, but they had cut it into two chunks. That was not great, as I then had to combine everything into a single mass (two “roasts” side-by-side, tied together with twine), and I think parts came out drier than they would have been with one large roast.

The other thing I had to do was the following. We were leaving, so I put the roast into the oven around 12:40pm. I set the oven to turn on at 2pm, and I cooked at a lower temperature of 225F instead of 275F. We got home around 5:45pm, and the roast had hit 148. We were lucky and got home exactly when it was done.

This is a keeper for me.

(Robin) #2

Okay… I actually copied this! A rare compliment from me and my lackadaisical cooking habits.

(Bob M) #3

Just make sure to watch the video, as the other link only has the ingredients.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #4

Horseradish sauce is very traditional here in the UK. Always served with roast beef. Or should be.
Apparently has medicinal benefits!
Horseradish originated in the southern part of Russia and the eastern part of the Ukraine (17). The herb has been cultivated for centuries because of its culinary and medicinal benefits. In the past it has been used medicinally to treat everything from back aches to the common cold.

(Polly) #5

I love horseradish and I am cultivating it in my garden.

(Bob M) #6

I do like horseradish, and I have prepared my own.

When I first made the sauce, the horseradish smell was almost overwhelming (coming out of the food processor anyway). I made it earlier in the day and we ate it later that day, and it was great. The horseradish was more subdued by then.

Ate the sauce the next day and was still great.

The nice thing about a recipe like this is you can prepare the meat and leave in the fridge and prepare the sauce and do the same. Then, you just put the meat in a few hours before you want to eat, and pull the sauce out of the fridge to warm up.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #7

Excellent. You know horseradish is very similar to wasabi?.. different plant but the same family.
Milder of course.