Riding 100 miles on Sunday - any nutrition tips?

cycling
endurance
sport
nutrition
keto

(Eamon) #1

Hi all, I am doing the Birmingham Velo 100 on Sunday (24 Sep 17). I have been doing LCHF since June and Keto for the last 6 weeks or so.
I currently weigh 108 kgs, have a BMI of about 30 and my body fat is about 32%.
I reckon I’m fairly well Fat Adapted because I did my first 48 hour fast this week and it felt great!
My training rides tend to be around 50 miles and I don’t eat anything, even when we stop at a café and my riding buddies all eat cake! I simply drink water with a zero calorie electrolyte tablet in it whilst riding, and a coffee at the café.

My question is what do people recommend eating before and during the 100 mile ride? I reckon I’ll be riding for 6 to 7 hours.

Evening before: do I ‘fat load’ whilst my buddies are carbo loading the night before?

Breakfast: I’m thinking a slightly bigger than normal plate of bacon and eggs, maybe a bulletproof coffee as well?

During the ride: My ‘Keto trail mix’ made up of Macademias, Almonds and Pork Scratchings.

I feel like I need the extra fat to keep me fuelled, but maybe that’s my old carb way of thinking. I’m open to any suggestions and tips.

(Alan Williamson) #2

A couple weekends ago, I did 100km. I didn’t eat anything. I had some water with MCT Oil Powder. I like the powder because it doesn’t cause GI problems so I can use more. I also used Vespa. That was it, but I have been doing rides with not any food all summer.

(ianrobo) #3

first good luck @hoverjumper I will also be there and hope to complete in around 6 hours, weather looks good, so I think you may need to adjust your sights (see my other posts in this forum) on the time :-):biking_man::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

so if you can do 50 miles you are fat adapted, no question so the theory being is that you do not need anything. However contary to some beliefs I just take a pack of jelly babies with me and maybe 3/4 eggs before the ride, that is all you need.

What you suggest before hand is WAY too heavy unless you are going to have 2/3 hours to digest it, the lighter the better. I always fat load the day before but add in some carbs. Especially as this is your first century some of those hills (I know every well) will go into your carb stores because you will not be able to ride up them in Z2/3 of power.

(ianrobo) #4

for info just eating 2 large sausages, 5 streaky bacon, 3 eggs, mushrooms and smothered in butter - fat loading

Lamb tonight with loads of cream after it

(Eamon) #5

Impressive!
I’ve had a naked cheese burger.
Have a good ride tomorrow, I’ll maybe see you out there!

(ianrobo) #6

I am off at 7 u ?

(ianrobo) #7

well all done, 5.48 for 100 miles, 3 scrambled eggs and butter for Brekkie then during the ride about 15 jelly babies, water and electrolytes

(Eamon) #8

Good time Ian!
I did it in 6:46 but with hindsight could have reduced that a bit as I felt full of energy at the end.
I ate bacon and 2 fried eggs for breakfast. Then carried some of my “keto trail mix” consisting of bite size chorizo, macadamia nuts, almonds and pork scratchings, but did not eat loads of it. I drank maybe 5 bottles of calorie free electrolyte solution too.
I continue to be blown away by this way of eating, it is literally changing my life. Amazing!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #9

This sounds kind of amazing, gonna plagiarize. Think I’ll replace the almonds with pecans toasted in bacon nectar, though.

(Eamon) #10

@Aqua_chonk haha, yeah I vary it a bit. Here’s a photo of a recent one with pecans:

Cycling In & out of ketosis
(ianrobo) #11

Given your current weight that is some time !! Imagine how quick when lost it. Today I am suffering as basically went for it from the start to give myself some room to get under 6 hours, each 20 mike split was lower than the last.

So how would you compare it to being carb fuelled ?

(Eamon) #12

I’m already about 20 kg lighter than last year thanks to keto, and that makes a phenomenal difference on the climbs. I’m also still heavy enough to get a fast descent advantage! :smiley:

(ianrobo) #13

If only my Garmin had not messed up could have compared !

OK, I looked this up on Strava, that’s just a bit over 7,000 of climbing. I’m impressed by your time, excellent!!! I did a ride in Delaware last month that’s almost dead flat (just over 900ft) and that took me 6H22M according to Strava.

How do you feel around the 80 mile mark? Both in the legs and in your mind.

For me, my mind starts to get fuzzy around 80. I used to think it was fatigue (in the old days blamed it on low sugar) but I’m now starting to think it’s low sodium. I never cramp on a ride (knock on wood!), but from what I’ve been hearing and reading, low sodium is much more than cramps.

I did the DE ride with a starting pile of bacon, one bottle with iced coffee, MCT and HWC. Then had a couple of single bread slices slathered in peanut butter during the ride along with nuts, jerky and plain water. Next time I’ll take salt TABS and see what happens.

(ianrobo) #15

good question on 80 miles, last week I felt a bit rough but was seriously cramping then but this week, same kind of ride really and no issues and was really fresh.

I think it is a good question on cramps and this is one area I read upon and no clearer on it. It is the sodium, maybe but why one week the issue the next no issue ?

However as pointed out on the year in review thread I did ride the last one on no food at all and you can then tell you are truly fat adapted. For us is there any need at all for mid ride food I ask ?

(Wayne Layton) #16

I have just begun Keto, but according to Stephen Phinney’s work, it appears that this lifestyle flushes sodium and may be deficient in magnesium. The solution is to take magnesium, Phinney suggests a slow release variety daily, to help with cramps. To counter water depletion take 1 to 2 grams of sodium (I use bullion cube in a cup of bone broth) half hour or so before a ride to hold water and then 12 to 16 oz of water 5 minutes before start to increase blood volume.

(Matt McGinnis) #17

Brand new to this forum. I’m a Type 1 Diabetic but I have had my BS (Blood Glucose) in check for years. My Last A1C was 6.7. My body is super insulin resistant so I’m excited to get on the Keto train!
I’m also a competitive cyclist. I’m a member of a cycling team here in Maryland. For me, I’ve used Nuun Hydration tablets, specifically the Nuun Energy tablets. Drop 1 1/2 in 20 oz water bottle and your set. It has 1 g of sugar per serving which is incredible considering most sports drinks. The energy tabs have caffeine in them and that really helps on the long intense rides I do with my teammates.
I’m looking forward to learning from all of you on this forum! My goals are to lose 30 pounds and cut my daily insulin intake to half.

Signing up for this ride for first time since losing weight and being keto. Really suffered last time. Hoping for a better result.

(ianrobo) #19

I am 100% sure you will find this so much easier !! Well weather dependent of course :slight_smile:

A lot of short very steep climbs. Would love to do some of the longer climbs that you do. Going to have to travel to do that.