Riding 100 miles on Sunday - any nutrition tips?

cycling
endurance
sport
nutrition
keto

(ianrobo) #21

yeah we have to travel, nothing where I live, some in Wales but for the mountains obviously in Europe

Looks like a fun ride and a great way to get the spring riding started!

Itā€™s in west central New Jersey, the start is a bit north of Princeton.
http://www.hellofhunterdon.com/

(Phil Maskell ) #23

Being nosey, Iā€™m a type 1, keto cyclist too. How you finding it? Have you improved your insulin resistance?

(ianrobo) #24

Phil, have you seen this ?

A T1D did this and measured his glucose all the way

(Phil Maskell ) #25

Thanks @ianrobo being a facebook link Iā€™ll have to wait til later as blocked :frowning_face:

(ianrobo) #26

let me know Phil what you think

(Phil Maskell ) #27

Looks impressive, I can only dream of that sort of blood sugar control. At the moment as soon as I exercise my blood sugar rockets!

(mark whittaker) #28

When you add carbs in the night before what macros donyou use? Also donā€™t jelly babies drop you out of ketosis and make you lose you fat burning capability? When during the ride donyou take them?

Sorry for the stupid questions I am still nee to this.

(ianrobo) #29

Hi Mark, I do not carb cycle before any ride and stick at normal limits, if anything I fat load. However during a ride I do not see a few jelly babies will have any impact and I do think for me it is just nice on a long ride (100 miles plus) to have something sweet to chew on.

I am actually starting to think some carbs are necessary depending on what type of riding you are doing. I have been fat adapted for a little over a year. I have been struggling on this one particular hill that I ride often. My Strava PR was set a couple years ago before I started Keto. I have not been able to get close even though I weigh 30lbs less than when I set it until this weekend. The last couple weeks I sort of fell off the wagon a bit eating pizza and other things along with drinking a little more than usual. As expected I was feeling like crap from the carbs but I went out and topped my PR for that hill. I think keto is great for endurance but for max power you need the glycogen in your muscles. I am back to eating strict keto but in future may eat some carbs the morning of some rides to see if it makes a difference.

(ianrobo) #31

oh no arguments there and it all depends on the ride you are doing ā€¦ for example I have a 400km ride this weekend so thats going to be zone2/3 mainly but before flanders I did have some carbs and though rode it fasted felt great !! perfect for the steep sharp climbs there

My experience has also been that I burn all the carbs while riding and am still in ketosis when finished

(Beth) #33

Me too. I recently bonked terribly during very intense cycling (hills and sustained efforts) even though Iā€™ve been serious keto for one and a half years.

So last week I measured my ketones right before I went out on a faster (for me) 26 mile group ride with a 6 mile climb at the end. I ate 4 or 5 dates and some cashews during the ride and used @Brenda ketoaideā€¦ significantly upping my focus on hydration and intake of balanced electrolytes but not overdoing it. I felt great and had the same level of ketones 2 hours after the ride.

I can do 40 or more miles no problem when fasting at a non - intense pace. The difference seems to be sustained high intensity.