Reversing fatty liver

(Steve) #1

I had a Dr’s appointment on Monday to get some requisitions to get my bloodwork done. She also wanted to get another ultrasound done to see what my liver looked like (had an ultrasound, then CT, then MRI done back in August when I was my heaviest - 321lbs).
Luckily there was a cancellation at the lab, so I got my ultrasound the next day. Got my bloodwork done on Monday, though she flagged it as random, rather than fasting as I was chewing gum (had no idea that could affect it).
Even though I had been diagnosed with fatty liver last year, I was still drinking a lot last year - kicked that just before new years. Had a couple glasses of red wine since, but nothing since going Keto at the start of March.
I’m sure the efforts I’ve been making pre-keto (no bread, avoiding sugar, minimizing carbs) helped, but how much I’ve noticed the inflammation and swelling go down on my liver has been phenomenal since going keto (can actually feel it many days on my right side).
The “proof is in the pudding” so to say. :smile: The ultrasound showed that I’ve made “massive” reductions in the fatty incursions in my liver. She said I should be able to completely reverse my livers woes with what I’m doing.
Regarding my pre-diabetic concerns (as I have skin discolouration that looks like Acanthosis Nigricans), the discolouration has actually faded considerably since I first noticed it in February. When I got the bloodwork done my HbA1C was 5.1, glucose was 3.9. Cholesterol numbers were also much improved over the bloodwork I had back in the fall (don’t have those prior numbers, so I’ll have to take my Dr’s word for it). :slight_smile:

Hugely relieved that I’m improving my heath so much!!! :smiley:

Keto and fatty liver
(Tovan Nhsh) #2

Awesome! Glad to hear it.

(Don) #3

That is some great news! As a guy who is reversing his fatty liver…I applaud you!

(Richard Morris) #4

I also reversed fatty liver … well done :slight_smile:

(Brandy Fischbach) #5

That is wonderful!! My son and I also have fatty liver so that gives us both much hope!

(Doug) #6

Steve, that is really great news. Sometimes, the extent to which we can heal is amazing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Our livers are amazing - they can take pretty brutal abuse for a long time, and they’ll stay right in there, keeping us alive right until the end. Their end or ours (or both).

(Diane) #7

Steve, thanks for sharing your good news!

Reading this thread, I realize I’ve gone from being angry at my “weak, sick, fragile” body, to being grateful for its enormous capacity to heal itself, once given the right fuel. I can now find better targets for my righteous (:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) anger: Ancel Keys & company and the stagnant health and nutrition establishment’s indoctrination that makes it so difficult to find and accept the information regarding a truly healthy, low carb diet which can benefit so many who struggle with chronic diseases.

I love how the 2ketodudes (and so many others) are making this information more accessible. Their congeniality, their clearly demonstrated desire to help others in their journeys to health and the way they share the SCIENCE that backs it all up: all of these traits really resonate with me.

And now that I’ve made myself cry with gratitude (seriously folks), I’ll keep on, keeping calm and ketoing on!

(Bernadette Duty) #8

That’s awesome news Steve. I’m so glad for you. I also reversed my NAFLD last year. I feel so much better. Keep up the good health!

(Jeannie Oliver) #9

By way of a testimonial, if it can encourage another, I am also on the way to healing a fatty liver. First diagnosed six years ago, I tried the standard recommendations to “lose some weight, avoid alcohol, and get some exercise.” (All a part of my normal routine at the time, as I was a partner in a gym and married to a personal trainer.) A follow up scan last September showed no improvement and a small gallstone beginning to form. In January, with encouragement from my daughter who is a physician, I switched to the keto WOE. I had a routine visit with my primary care physician a week ago. Since my last visit, I have lost from 185 to 159 pounds. My blood draw showed I have lowered enzymes that are markers for fatty liver (ALT and AST), lowered fasting glucose, lowered triglycerides (from 118 to 56 mg/dl) and increased HDL. I’m glad to say my doc had nothing to say about my higher cholesterol and higher LDL. His only reply when I said I am eating a low carb diet was “good.”

(Steve) #10

Yep, I really don’t think the doctors have an effective treatment plan for fatty liver. My doctor had mentioned to me a couple years earlier that there were markers in my blood work for fatty liver, but didn’t express it as a concern.
That’s one thing that I think the medical community is failing at miserably. Almost everyone that’s overweight will likely have incursions of fat into their liver - why aren’t they testing for this and recommending lifestyle changes to reverse it??? (obviously, detecting earlier would shorten recovery).
The medical establishment needs to recognize that the Keto WOE works (for this and many other conditions).

Passed on that feedback to my doctor. She agreed. Me, I think doctors should learn nutrition to be the primary basis of their care…fix that first, then drugs and surgery in extreme cases.

I think it’s really starting to catch on though. I think in another 5 years we’ll see a lot of Keto foods in the stores - much like what we’ve seen with gluten sensitivities. The “rub” will be that, eventually, non-Keto foods will likely disappear entirely. Wonder what all of the wheat farmers will grow when no-one’s buying it anymore?? :slight_smile:

I spent all of last year dealing with a sudden elevation of my ALT and AST levels. Non-drinker, mildly obese at a BMI of 30.2, I really didn’t think I had serious liver disease. Had all the latest tests, which showed that I have NASH, the more serious type of fatty liver that can progress to cirrhosis in 5 to 10 years in up to 25 percent of people who have it. That got my attention. Especially since my husband had a liver transplant for alcoholic cirrhosis 10 years ago.

Then when I found out I had very high fasting insulin (37) it put the icing on the cake. And took the cake right off my plate. I started keto immediately and got really serious about losing weight, improving my diet and changing my life. Next month I’ll have blood work done and find out if there’s some improvement. It’s another 6 months before I have a repeat MRI- elastoplasty, a test comparable to, but less invasive than a liver biopsy.

I plan to eat this way forever. NSV have ben numerous, and with 26 pounds, I’m happy with the scale victories too. Kudos to you, Steve, for making impressive changes too in such a short time!

(Steve) #12

Wow! Sounds like you caught the problems at the right time!!! You should be very confident in repairing your liver…it’s extremely resilient - provided we give it the opportunity to heal.
Even though I’ve made great progress, I’m off the alcohol until my liver is completely healed - and, even then, it’s going to be rare, as it tends to halt all the good work that your liver’s doing when you imbibe…and I really don’t want to risk injuring my liver again. :slight_smile:

Yep, I’m thinking the Keto WOE is going to be a permanent thing. In time, I think everyone will eat this way (which will make Keto foods mainstream and easier to come by) :slight_smile:

(Carol Orrell) #13

Awesome young man!

(Olesya Cherkashin) #14

Great Job, Steve! I was just wondering about something you said. You said that you are feeling it. Do you think it means it’s healing? I just starter keto a month ago, and I keep feeling my liver and kidneys. Do you think it means they are healing?

(Steve) #15

Thanks! :slight_smile: The liver was actually a lot more swollen than it is now. Some days it’s more inflamed than others (but that inflammation may also be the liver cleaning itself out?) - who knows? I do know that the swelling has decreased considerably - as I’ve lost several inches off of my belly - if it hadn’t, it would be sticking out considerably!!! (but, that was also one of the comments the doctor made on my ultrasound - that the swelling was down in the liver, along with the fatty incursions).
I can often feel it on my right side, just below the rib cage.

I also think it’s important to fit as many salads into your meal plan as you can. Not to the extent that Dr. Berg recommends (who can eat 7 cups of salad at one sitting?? That’s just nuts!!) :wink: I do think he’s right that they provide nutrients that help your liver to clean itself out. Trying to get as many Omega 3’s into your system to counter all of the Omega 6’s that we eat is also highly beneficial.

(Dan Dan) #16

I can if it is loaded with :bacon::cheese::hot_pepper::mushroom: and drowned in full fat ranch dressing :heart_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Colleen Bryson) #17

Im just starting, but wanted to say great going for putting your health first.

(Jeannie Oliver) #18

mmmmm, bleu cheese

(Raj Seth) #19

Bleu cheese wedge. Extra bleu cheese dressing (almost a full cup total), extra bacon (estimating about 6 standard slices worth), skip the croutons.

I couldn’t finish it - but I’m guessing that was a few cups worth!!

(Steve) #20

Yeah - pretty fond of my blue cheese, bacon, walnut with maple vinaigrette salad. :smiley: