Reversing fatty liver

(Jeannie Oliver) #21

I have posted this before, but it bears repeating here, I believe one of the most common mistakes we make with fatty liver disease is eliminating eggs and red meat in an effort to eat a “heart healthy” diet. They are the best dietary sources of choline, an essential nutrient that is vital for a healthy liver.

I’m one of those folk who thought that I was “taking care of myself” by eating a low fat diet with “plenty of healthy whole grains” for most of my adult life. I read everything available to me about nutrition (before the internet), and I believed the nutrition “establishment” that claimed the Atkins diet was extreme and would lead to early heart disease. I was a vegetarian for seven years.

With that in mind, I believe physicians have the best interest of their patients at heart and are working with the best information they have. Thousands of health care providers and the lay public are just beginning to understand the benefits of what we call the keto WOE.

As Maya Angelou said, “When you know better, you do better.”

(Brian) #22

We have a similar history. I tried very hard in some of the same ways and ended up a nearly 300 pound pre-diabetic set up for a heart attack, stroke, diabetes and who knows what else… as a vegetarian trying to obey the “gurus”. (I won’t bother naming names.)

So thankful to have found some sanity in eating. Went keto / low-carb back in August of last year and am down nearly 65 pounds with another 25 or so to go. And for the first time in decades, I’m feeling like I’m actually thriving again.

It’s been hard for me because there are some religious undertones happening, too. I haven’t left my faith, but I am doing some serious questioning about what some others of the same faith believe and why. Lockstep… not anymore. And I refuse to be “shamed” into a way of eating under which I do not thrive, especially by people in poor health.

(sorry… getting long winded…)

As someone not familiar with your religion I find this very interesting. I did a very little bit of reseach and it sounds like it is an agenda. That vegetarianism is both perceived as the healthy way to treat your body and as part of biblical interpretation that meat should be limited to certain animals (the same ones religious Jews and Muslims would eat) and limited to situations of necessity (am I getting this right? Apologies if I have it wrong).

(Brian) #24

Saphire, you’re pretty close in most respects.

They seem to have a lot right, at least to my understanding of how life works. And I agree with many of the concepts, i.e., getting clean air, sunshine, proper rest, clean water, taking care of yourself. I even agree with abstaining from booze, drugs, tobacco, stuff like that. No disrespect intended towards present company, I even agree with the idea that there are some meats I shouldn’t be eating. But I can’t get to the sometimes militant and aggressive stance that vegan is somehow more biblical that some display. I don’t find that in my bible. So do I throw the baby out with the bathwater? Not ready to do that. (Don’t want to go much deeper here. I know it’s a bit touchy of a subject.)

(Empress of the Unexpected) #25

Do you make your own dressing or is there any brand out there without sugar?

(Steve) #26

Renee’s Mighty Caesar is 0 carbs / tablespoon. Two dressings I make regularly are:
For garden salad:
1T Olive Oil
1T Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
1T Dijon Mustard (Maille is 0 carb)
1 tsp lemon juice
about 1/4 tsp italian seasoning
a few shakes of black pepper

For my bacon/blue cheese/walnut salad:
1 T ACV
1 T Lakanto Maple Syrup
1-1 1/2 T Bacon Grease
Melt the bacon grease, then add the ACV, then the syrup, whisking until it steams, then pour over your salad.

There’s lots of recipes in the recipes forum on here. :slight_smile:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #27

Yumm, thanks! I’m heading to the kitchen…

(Sheila) #28

I totally agree, these Dr’s need to be educated on dietary first and how it affect our organs. My concern has always been does the money they receive for writing that prescription overrides saving someone life with the truth (dietary).

Nevertheless, maybe I missed it. But I how long did it take you to intentionally heal your fatty liver? I believe I have a fatty liver and I requested my Dr send me for the ultrasound. I am scheduled today. Funny, I been T2 for over 15 years and they not once checked me for a fatty liver or mentioned it.

(Steve) #29

I’m still not completely healed. If I eat something deep fried, it inflames the liver and causes it to swell (so, that’s an indication that I’m still a ways from having an “all clear” from my doctor).
The reason that doctors are so cavalier with their attitudes on fatty liver disease is likely due to the fact that the liver is so resilient. It can heal itself, provided you don’t damage it too far (think the magic number is around 90%) - provided you still have as little as 10% of your liver functioning properly, you can still survive. Tip past that and you’re really in trouble (and looking to get on a donors list).
Me, I think they should be highlighting the severity right away - so we shorten the timeline to complete recovery.

I’ll likely look at getting another ultrasound in a couple months or so. I’ll mention it to my doctor and see when she’d like to get another one done.

Edit: But, when I had the battery of tests done last August - it was because the original ultrasound made it appear that there was a growth on my Pancreas. (obviously, pancreatic cancer isn’t something you take lightly) - so the radiologist ordered a CT scan - and when that came back clean on my pancreas, he still ordered an MRI to be sure (full abdominal MRI - I was in that machine for quite awhile).

(Empress of the Unexpected) #30

You can actually feel it swell?

(Steve) #31

Yep, it bulges.

Edit: I had enough “padding” previously, that I wouldn’t have noticed the swelling. The weight I’ve lost has made it much more apparent when the liver gets inflamed. (what made me seek out my doctor back in August was that I was actually having pain in the area of my liver). My doctor had initially thought gall bladder. The fact that I barely fit into the MRI machine at 321lbs was pretty sobering. :frowning:

I actually had another doctor’s appointment today - asked her about getting another ultrasound or blood work done to check on the liver. She said that she didn’t see a great amount of value - we should wait 6 months after the last tests to have a good comparison. So, I’ll ask again in October (as the last tests were done in April).

This dr’s appointment was because I’ve managed to get myself a hernia. While it didn’t show up in the ultrasound I had done last friday for it, both the walk-in clinic doctor at that point as well as my doctor today confirmed that they could feel it. So, I’m getting a surgical referral.
Now, even though my doctor says that it’s not possible to repair the fascia that’s torn (that’s what a hernia is - you’ve torn the tissues that tie your layers of muscle together), the medical community hasn’t embraced the benefits of a Ketogenic diet, nor fasting. Going to do some research…see if maybe I shouldn’t fast for a couple of weeks to see how much I can heal my hernia (and possibly avoid surgery altogether!!) :slight_smile:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #32

So scary! I sometimes feel like I shouldn’t even be on this forum given the serious medical issues other forum members face. But I do need to get my triglycerides down and I have read so many people have fatty liver. A year ago I changed insurance and had a physical. With my other doctor they would poke and prod everything. Nothing this time. No one ever felt my thyroid. What is going on with doctors?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #33

Oh, and I am wondering if keto heals livers in general. Twelve years ago I had an atrial septal defect closure device installed. Doctor commented on a liver cyst. That was the last I heard of it. Echos every year since then. This year for the first time the apparently large cyst showed up on the echo. No follow up with doctor. But curious to see what happens with keto.

(Steve) #34

We’ve seen lots of people reverse fatty liver disease with Keto. I think it’s important to also have the healthy greens though, as they help the liver cleanse itself. With an already fatty liver, asking it to process more fat may actually increase your fatty incursions if you don’t help the liver to cleanse itself as well.

Fasting greatly enhances the body’s capabilities to cleanse and heal - so by doing IF and EF, we allow the body to much more easily deal with irregular growths and excess tissue.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #35

Yes, bitter greens like arugula promote liver health. There are many others but my favorite is arugula. Grow it in the backyard pretty much year round.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #36

I would love to fast but just not there yet. Too many gut issues that won’t permit.

(Steve) #37

Yep, everyone’s situation is unique on here (n=1). You have to do what’s right for your body. We each build our own Ketogenic success stories by selectively borrowing things that work for others and building them into our own regimen…at the right time, with the results that we’re looking for. :slight_smile:

(Alec) #38

This is bloomin OUTSTANDING!! Congratulations and well done. You’ve done the hard work, and started to get really great results. Keep it going!!
Cheers
Alec

I have several liver cysts, a kidney cyst and a cyst in my spleen. Obviously I’m just very cysty. Also have cystic breasts. Just had lab work for liver tests and hopefully they’ll be perfectly normal after being way out of whack last year.

(Sheila) #40

I got my ultrasound done yesterday results today is as follows…I guess I don’t have a fatty liver. but now wondering what is causing my inuslin to be out of wack?