Returning to Keto after initial success

(Simon Murphy) #1

Hi everyone. Just into my first month of doing keto again. I did it last year and lost about 40lb. in 4months. I failed to keep that off, making all kinds of excuses about time constraints and work, etc.

This time around, my plan is to keep the weight off. I am getting support around me this time because i didn’t engage with other keto folk in the first attempt, and I think this will help spur me on.

Interestingly, the first time I did the keto diet last year, the keto flu smashed me for about two weeks. This time, after I started cutting the carbs from my diet I experienced keto flu symptoms for roughly half a day. It was like my body remembered what to do - very helpful. It has been relatively plain sailing since then, with the same rate of weight loss I had initially.

My favorite part of keto, compared to standard low-fat diets, is how you are constantly tapping into energy instead of those agonizing moments when your energy tanks and you hit the wall. I really don’t miss that. I found that those crashes are also when I am most likely to make unwise dietary choices, so keto has been amazing in that respect!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Probably because your salt intake was better.

If you don’t mind a suggestion: don’t keep high-carb snacks in the house, if you can (sometimes the other people in the house object, lol!), but in any case, keep plenty of high-fat, low-carb foods around to serve as snacks. For example pork rinds, pepperoni, and high-fat dairy. Also, if you are snacking because you are truly hungry, be sure to eat more at meals. If you are snacking because you want to put something in your mouth, try coffee, tea, or something of that sort.

(Susan) #3

Welcome back to Keto, Simon, and to this fabulous forum =).

@PaulL always gives excellent advice, sooooo --listen to him and I wish you all the best =)!