Results from 1 month IFing 3x/week

fasting
intermittentfasting

I did an experiment the month of June: I did 3 days a week of 20-24 hour intermittent fasts, usually Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, fasting till dinner. They weren’t hardcore fasts at all — a couple times a day I drank coffee and broth, the coffee with stevia, cocoa powder, cinnamon and cream and sometimes a little MCT oil. Once or twice, I added cream to the broth. I also put MIO drops in my water.

I’ve been low carb since September and keto since January, but had been in a six-month plateau. (I’m keto for weight loss but also long-term disease prevention.)

Soooo… drumroll. At the end of my month-long experiment, I:

• Lost between 4 and 8 pounds (not exact because my weight goes up and down around 4 lbs. from day to day – maddening)
  • Lost an inch off my waist
  • Lost an inch off my hips
  • Didn’t lose a dang thing off my upper arms, darn it! :grin:

The fasting has become really easy. It’s funny because I’m still terrified of fasting an entire day (like 36 hours), even though this was no problem at all.

Anyway, I’m very very happy with the results!!

You did great! I am so inspired that you were on a six month plateau and kept experimenting.

(Michael McMurray) #3

Great job! IF really works for me, i’m lucky that my job is perfect for me to do it and I follow close to the same as you do! I have done a few 36 hour fasts and the difference personally between a 24 and 36 is negligible. Honestly I have more pain at 24 hours than 36 hours, but we are all different!

Keep it up!

(Liz ) #4

Thanks for posting your experiences! I love reading what other folks are trying, it really helps me figure out what to try as well. I’ve been IFing 16:8 18:6 20:4 for a few months & I like it but am nervous about my body adapting & stalling out (I am also Keto for weight loss plus health) so I’m trying not to fall into a predictable pattern. I love consistency but I think I have to mix it up & that’s hard for me! Hope you continue to see results.

Yeah, I never really got discouraged, I just figured the body and keto would work this stuff out on their own schedule, ha ha…

@Michael, OK, you’re inspiring me to try 36 hours…soon. Thanks!

@LizinLowell, I agree and I do plan to mix it up in a few weeks. Or months, we’ll see.

I kind of think stalls happen for all kinds of unknowable reasons as well as no reason at all… which is to say, I believe there isn’t a whole lot I can do about them except try a few things but especially RIDE IT OUT.

(Teresa) #6

Congratulations on your successful experiment. I did this last week and ended up losing 4 pounds for the week. On Friday, I had an issue with “cleansing” that was challenging. I want to do this again, and hopefully not have the same issue. I think I could easily do this for a month or longer.

That’s a great result! Do you drink bulletproof coffee or anything else with fat in it? That sometimes causes digestives issues for me, but then I don’t have a gallbladder.

(Rebecca) #8

Thanks for sharing I think this is the next step for me, I have been stalled for about 5 months and have even put on weight and cm’s.

I might give it a try on night shift next week, I will eat dinner before going to work at about 4pm (I start work at 6pm 12 hours shifts) and see if I can last the night on coffee & broth (I am not usually as hungry on nights), I then go to bed straight away once I get home. If I go ok the first night I will try again the second night (I only have 2 nights this block).

That sounds like a good test, @becsta . Give it a try! I used to work night shifts, so I know how everything gets turned on its head.

And good for you for sticking with it through such a long stall. I also gained in the middle of my long stall too (during an ultra high-fat experiment week).

I figure all these experiments just offer good data points for us to consider, no matter the result.

After the first couple days, this IF pattern has has been incredibly easy (and even those first two days weren’t bad). It just comes naturally to me now, and I actually prefer fasting a few days a week. Never, ever thought I’d say I prefer skipping meals. I mean never!!! On the IF days, I feel a lot of energy about 20 hours into it. It’s surprising.

I also think it’s important to be flexible. Today was supposed to be a fasting day for me, but I just didn’t feel like it. I bet you anything, though, that tomorrow I WILL feel like it. So I go with the flow.

(Rebecca) #10

@gatita thanks for the encouragement. I start nights monday so will definetly give it a try. I will let you know how I get on.