Restricting plate fat

(German Ketonian) #1

I have a question concerning the restriction of plate fat and how to do it in a way that doesn’t interfere with the ketogenic way of life.

My current macros are 220f, 100p, 20c, amounting to roughly 2,500 kcals. If I want to restrict my fat intake to induce body fat consumption, how would I best go about doing this?

My question stems from the fact that I am not sure how a lower fat intake would affect my “ketogeneity” (is that actually a word?). In particular, I wonder whether lowering the fat intake has an effect on my blood sugar and insulin level (due to higher proportional carb and protein intake per meal) and the level of ketosis. It seems that much of the low-insulin-effect stems from the fact that, in a keto diet, fat takes up a huge spot in the calorie consumption. Wouldn’t restricting dietary fat to a degree counteract the insulinogenic benefits? Or will body indeed draw from the stored fat and metabolically offset the effect of the missing plate fat?

(Jay AM) #2

You’re going to get 2 very different answers here. I don’t believe in the need to restrict plate fat on purpose to induce fat loss. A large number of people here recommend low carb, moderate protein, and fat to satiety. Fat to satiety is your body’s way of naturally adjusting calories and fat intake. As long as carbs and protein are in place, fat should be used to feel full with. If you restrict fat without upping carbs or protein, then you’re restricting calories as well.

As for the insulinogenic effect of lowering fat, you might notice higher blood glucose spikes but, generally, you’d be fine. I’d doubt it getting to a level of concern each time you ate.

I don’t lose weight unless I restrict fats, especially the amount of bacon, sausage, butter, and cheese that I consume. Otherwise, I get far too many calories.

But I have bad eating habits from nearly five decades of binge eating. At this point, I’m no longer hungry all the time like I was before Keto, but my “feel full” mechanism was broken decades ago. I can (and will) eat any amount put in front of me, and my portion sizes are skewed. I do much better when someone else plates my food. :frowning:

(German Ketonian) #4

I hear you! I’ve gone keto for that exact reason. It helps but doesn’t fix it. It’s frustrating to a degree…

(Allan L) #5

Dr Stephen Phinney talks about this right at the beginning of this vid.