Restarting

(EJ) #1

I spent 3 months eating ketogenic and lost 40 lbs and felt better than I ever have. In the last couple of months I’ve had some issues at home causing a great deal of stress and I’ve only managed a day or two consecutive of staying under 20 carbs, followed by days of pigging out on carbs. Does anyone have idea for overcoming this emotional eating? I know that’s what is happening and I start most days with good intentions, but I’m struggling to gain momentum.

(Stephanie Sablich) #2

Having/finding a supportive community is almost always a factor when I’ve controlled my emotional eating, rather than the other way around. That looks different for different people- this forum, a family member or friend, a good therapist… but there is a LOT of research that shows when dealing with an emotional coping mechanism, support is a crucial factor.

Something that works for me when I have cravings is delaying. Someone told me a while ago, and I reread it here, that they think of cravings as a “not right now” instead of a “never.” It’s usually a psychological or emotional response to eat that definitely makes us feel guilty and unhappy afterward (not to mention physically)… but there is a lot to be said for cognitive coping and manipulation strategies. It’s a proven addiction recovery strategy as well.

I’ve used this technique a few times and it has worked each time. I’m stressed or sad or frustrated or experiencing SOME kind of negative emotion, and my first instinct is to shove Doritos in my mouth or order pizza. I tell myself, “Self, go for a walk. Or read a chapter. Or send an email to a friend. Or watch a television show. If you still need the Doritos after you use some other coping mechanisms, you can have them.” I never have. Make a list of things that can distract you for even 15 minutes, and give yourself time to deal with the emotions rather than mask them with food.

Just a few thoughts :slight_smile: It certainly isn’t easy. Hang in there!

(Consensus is Politics) #3

That’s good advice. I’ll add that to my list of things to remember. :cowboy_hat_face:

I would address the emotional issue, but not in an open forum. That might be something you could later, but as far as I’m concerned let’s skip that and see if we. An tackle The easier problem. The food.

I would ask, what do you carb out on? What’s your comfort food? Can it be replaced by something else? Like potato chips. Pure carbs. Doritos, again, mostly carbs and a fraction of protein I think. Those were some of my comfort foods. The thing about comfort foods is just as the term states, they comfort us. Which to me should mean any of my comfort foods should comfort me. It shouldn’t matter if I choose pizza or lasagna or Doritos. I gain comfort from them. It’s the eating them part for me at least. I switched to pork rinds in place of chips. I even make my own guacamole dip for that extra bit of snacking comfort.

Tell us what your comfort foods are, and I bet a dollar to doughnuts that someone here can suggest a replacement that fills the bill.

Keep calm, and, well, you know the rest.

Cook all your food tasteless.
If you stop connecting food with pleasure you will break habbit of emotional eating.
Take one book about science, ethic or anything that is not emotional like romans and read it when you are troubled. Don’t watch/listen intensive exciting movies, songs for a while, we tend to reward ourselfs when we are excited or sad. Try to find satisfaction in eating food with its own taste, no spices. Maybe avoid even a salt for two weeks or ad just little(if you eat spiced food ussually, if salad alone is not tasty to you then your tounge have gonne numb) so watch out for salt.
This helped me…
I used drink 2l coke, eat chips almost every day but today I drink tea and eventualy eat some seeds and it is great. I can’t stand sugar(30g of chocolate when off diet max) or smell of chips now without feeling sick.