Resistant starch - left the carnivore thread

(Bunny) #25

That also demonstrates an intolerance to oxidizing carbohydrates (increased intrahepatic and intramyocellular lipids or fatty deposits).

I would hate to be in a situation (inc. reduced beta and alpha insilets) where if I eat one little carbohydrate I get chronically elevated levels of insulin or blood sugars. That sounds really scary! eeew!

(Bunny) #26

Yes I think it has to do with the purple color giving it additional antioxidant properties besides the resistant starch, I like to eat them raw…lol

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #27

I love raw potatoes!

(Bob M) #28

Your post makes no sense. I ate no carbs. I have tons of data from carbs if you want to see it.

(Bunny) #29

Yes! I would really like to see your carbohydrate tolerance data plots.

That’s way more interesting and valuable to me.

I will also be taking into account your physical exertion or sedentary time and type of muscles being used.

(Edith) #30

If I try it, I’ll let you know.

Oh my WORD!

One can half fry some plantain, then flatten it better, than re-fry as semi-round disks for burgers. For RS, this would be green banana ofc. It’s stunning! (Based on my incretins protocol, I would still eat the meat first though… ) This recipe I saw today looks so wonderful, hope to try it someday.

(Bunny) #32

Thought this was worth reposting:

”…“Red meat and resistant starch have opposite effects on the colorectal cancer-promoting miRNAs, the miR-17-92 cluster,” said Karen J. Humphreys, PhD, a research associate at the Flinders Center for Innovation in Cancer at Flinders University in Adelaide, Australia. “This finding supports consumption of resistant starch as a means of reducing the risk associated with a high red meat diet.” …” …More

image link

References:

[1] “…MicroRNAs (miRNAs) encoded by the miR-17-92 cluster and its paralogs are known to act as oncogenes. Expression of these miRNAs promotes cell proliferation, suppresses apoptosis of cancer cells, and induces tumor angiogenesis. …” …More

(Karen) #33

I like that you can reheat some resistant starches and not affect their usefulness.

(Karen) #34

But what about these n=1 experiments

(Doug) #35

If there’s a demonstrable need for more resistant starch/soluble fiber/ food for large intestine bacteria, that’s one thing. But I usually have to laugh or shake my head - people are talking about it on Facebook and it’s like, “Oh GOOD! Now I can eat rice again!!” And they’re massively obese and Type 2 Diabetic, and that rice is still almost entirely digestible starch… :roll_eyes:

If there really does need to be more in one’s diet, it sure seems to me like it’d be best to avoid all the non-resistant starch, if possible, if carbs, insulin, etc., are concerns. High-powered university laboratories have had many people doing many experiments, and over several days of heating and cooling cycles, a maximum of 5% or 6% is the limit thus far.

(Karen) #36

And there’s the issue. Ken Berry had a number of diabetics with continual glucose monitors check their blood glucose after eating, I think potatoes, that had been chilled. I believe they had huge spikes and blood glucose

(John) #37

I am not diabetic and don’t test my blood glucose. I get my resistant starch by adding 1 tbsp of unprocessed raw potato starch to a glass of cold almond milk. Once or twice a day. It supposedly provides 8 grams of resistant starch and no usable carbohydrate.

I have no way to tell if I am getting any benefit from it at all. However, I have read enough to where it looks like it may be reasonably beneficial for my gut bugs.

Doesn’t seem to hurt, though, and it is very inexpensive. I would not eat cooked-and-cooled rice or potatoes, though, because those DO bring along a pretty hefty carb load in addition to the resistant starch.

(Doug) #38

Karen, I’d think it would be almost the same as with no resistant starch at all, i.e. eating 20 bites of the cooked-and-cooled stuff would be like eating 19 bites of the non-treated stuff. Or 19.5…

(Bunny) #39

Heating and cooling starch does nothing.

You have to heat/boil, rinse and cool several times?

You have to remove the digestibles with the water?

These little tests about it raising glucose tells me they are overdosing with it? My blood glucose would sky rocket too if I sat their and ate a whole bunch of digestive starch?

Your supposed to use a little tiny bit and increase the dose a little tiny bit?

It is almost comical how people are so willing to disregard anything because they don’t try to do it correctly or because they don’t really pay attention?

Yeah I can see the glucose skyrocketing if you sit their and eat nothing but a potato that has been boiled and cooked once and then cooled!

It is much like becoming fat adapted you slowly increase the dose and even if your eating the SAD diet it will decrease your blood glucose.

I do it all the time and it works well!

What your trying to do is feed and build up an abundance of butyrate (a ketone body) producing microbes in the lower intestinal tract. It takes time to do this, it is not something that happens over-night.

You can also enhance it and speed up the process with resistant starch enemas.

You could skip the Idaho boiling the potato thing and just use sweet potato’s, un-ripe bananas, fried plantains, blue corn, purple potato’s, amylose maize resistant starch; there are many forms of resistant starch that vary in quality depending on resistants to digestion and the quality of the soil etc. some better than others but that does not mean you eat pounds of the stuff in one sitting?

I personally do not see it as a side dish on the dinner table, it is a supplement to be taken sparingly.

(Bunny) #40

Bottom line ancient humans were not running around eat meat everyday and if they were we would not be here, so resistant starch that feeds our gut bacteria and other sugars resistant to digestion is an essential nutrient.

Gbuconeogensis nor external butyrate is going to do that for your gut bacteria accept maybe amino acid eating bacteria which eats your mucosal barrier down to nothing and you get the slightest infection which leads to an abundance cancer proliferating microRNA’s from red meat and then you die of cancer which is self-defeating to say the least?

Again with the carb cycling - right or wrong?
(Bob M) #41

Yet another in a long line of probiotic failures:

Or:

(Ian) #42

Going back to first principles, does anyone know what resistant starch is compared to regular starch and what is the difference that results in a reduced glycemic response?

My understanding is that starch contains amylose and amylopectin. Amylose is a smaller molecule and is made up of liner chains of glucose molecules. Amylopection is a far larger molecule and contains branched chained strings of glucose. Wikipedia tells me that because of its helical structure, amylose is more resistant to digestion compared to amylopectin.

Therefore, I presume the pre-cooking, rinsing and/or reheating results in a change in the relative proportion of amylose to amylopectin, i.e. reduces the amylopectin content.

If correct it may be better to target high amylose foods, rather than go through the laborious process of preparing starch resistant foods. A search of high amylose foods indicates that high amylose grains and other source of starch are being developed for their health benefits.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #43

Resistant starch is a type of man-made fibre, used in processed foods to provide a cheap source of bulk. (The natural fibre is removed from processed foods to make them shelf-stable.) The basic idea is that resistant starch is indigestible, just like natural fibre.

There also is some research to show that if you heat and cool potatoes or rice repeatedly over a number of days, you can increase the fibre content from some low value to a slightly higher value (on the order of an increase from 0.3% to 0.35%). But the catch is that if you heat the starch up again the wrong way, then all the increased fibre reverts to regular starch.

If you must eat carbohydrate, why not chose foods high in natural fibre? That would seem to be the simplest and most logical course.

(Edith) #44

Yeah, when I looked into this I decided that the work and amount of resistant starch wasn’t worth all the carbs. The percentage of resistant starch was just too low.