Resistant Starch 101 — Everything You Need to Know

(Bunny) #50

Interesting point, I often wondered that too?

When all else fails we must really look at the science:

Currently what this information (below) tells me is that the gut flora microbiota requires different types of nutrition separate from the human host and if the human host is eating too much of it (carbohydrates), it spills over into the human host?

1. “… not all of the starch you eat gets digested. …” “… This type of starch is called resistant starch, which functions kind of like soluble fiber. …” …More
  1. ”…excess simple carbohydrates are stored in the body as fat. …Other carbohydrates, such as the fiber found in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, move slowly through the digestive system, and much of it isn’t digested at all (insoluble fiber). …” …More
  1. “…carbohydrates are not necessary building blocks for other molecules, and the body can obtain all its energy from protein and fat. Thus you could leave out carbohydrate from your diet provided you get enough protein, fat including essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals and water. …More
  1. ”… Microbial fermentation of complex non-digestible dietary carbohydrates and host–derived glycans in the human intestine has important consequences for health. Certain dominant species, notably among the Bacteroidetes, are known to possess very large numbers of genes that encode carbohydrate active enzymes and can switch readily between different energy sources in the gut depending on availability. …” **…More
  1. “… Fructooligosaccharide (FOS), a prebiotic compound that can be digested by the microbiota but is indigestible by human enzymes due to the configuration of its glycosidic linkages …” …More

(CharleyD) #51

So you’re saying there’s a chance… I don’t need to feel bad about maki sushi rice?

I’ve been really missing the C+C roll, crabmeat and cream cheese. And the Sushi Village that makes the Sashimi Dinner whose picture you’ve appreciated, also make a simple Salmon/Avocado and Tuna/Avocado rolls on the cheap.

(bulkbiker) #52

Except that I can guess that none of these studies has ever been conducted on people who eat virtually zero fibre? I have skimmed through them only I will admit. There is no certain knowledge about this so as always it is pure speculation.
I would imagine that our bodies are far to smart to need some parts of non essential foodstuffs so if we don’t need carbs… we could possibly say we probably don’t need fibre. I guess with the explosion of carnivory we’ll start finding out over the next 10 years or so whether we do although in the interim I’d guess probably non-essential.

I would think with people who are eating this way, we would also see a decrease in antibiotics, and therefore better gut flora all around.

(bulkbiker) #54

Good point and one I hadn’t really thought of although I guess better health all round would be a major benefit…

(Bunny) #55

Not entirely “speculation” and a very very far stretch from “pure,” just consistent deaths from colon cancers and “no certain knowledge about this” would be perhaps a coincidental glitch in the randomness, possibilities and associations with those that eat only meat with-out a particular soluble dietary fiber called resistant starch being dead?

Not a chance or risk I’m willing to take thinking eating only meat and absolutely nothing else and then ignoring the cause of death in people who did the same-thing is kind of like a death wish or a Jonestown suicide, no poison kool-aid for me thank you!

Pure Speculation:

1. ”…Colorectal cancer may be initiated by mutations in key proto-oncogenes or tumor suppressors that occur somatically or are inherited,1 or induced by unresolved chronic intestinal inflammation such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).2 The pathogenesis of inflammation-associated cancer is less well understood relative to sporadic colorectal cancer, although components of the innate immune system and microbiota are regarded as pivotal players.3,4 The colonic mucus layer constitutes an innate defense barrier necessary for homeostasis of the host with the microbiota.5,6 Mucin 2 forms the major structural basis of the mucus layer in human beings and mice.6 Mucin 2 is composed primarily of O-glycans, which have 2 main sub-types known as core 1– and core 3–derived O-glycans. …” …More
  1. “…Fermentation of resistant starch in rodent studies results in what appears to be a healthier gut, demonstrated by increased amounts of short-chain fatty acids, an apparent positive change in the microbiota, and increased gene expression for gene products involved in normal healthy proliferation and apoptosis of potential cancer cells. …” …More
  1. Gastrointestinal Cancers in Optimal Dieters:

You most definitively do need dietary soluble fiber or you would not be alive, how you get their is another thing?

(CharleyD) #56

Now, not to sound like a Devils’ Advocate, but why wouldn’t the strict carnivore’s gut flora select for just different bugs who like the byproduct of meat digestion? Part of me wonders if enough products of digestion makes it to the large intestine, considering the longer poop intervals they experience. But if carnivory was bad and the starving bugs eat away at the mucus lining, why wouldn’t the carnivore’s automatically as a group show more autoimmune or general inflammatory markers?

(Bunny) #57

Time being the significant factor? Neither did the research participants show any signs of this in the Pilis’ study… They all died of various forms of colon cancers… Maybe cycling sources of protein from land to marine sources like the Inuits and eating perhaps bone broth would make contradictions? The Eskimo seem resistant to getting cancer despite the all meat diet; more fermented meats, organ meats, raw vs. cooked?

That’s enough proof for me!

(CharleyD) #58

But wasn’t this why everyone was interested in Shawn Baker’s blood test results since he was longish term carnivore?
Maybe we should ask how his colonoscopy looks?:poop::ghost:

I agree, there’s going to be confounders. I’m in sunny Alabama, where the vitamin D is plentiful. Tuesday’s meal is a pound of the fattiest brisket that my fave BBQ place Jim&Nick’s can provide. Wednesday is usually a pound of various sashimi.

I think I can manage it and it not be boring :sunglasses:

(bulkbiker) #59

The Polish guys have 2 examples of people dying from cancer… hardly an RCT…? As i say there is no certain knowledge just more anecdotal stuff… we shall soon start seeing if people really do get more cancers eating little to no carb (and looking at Prof Seyfried’s work I find that hard to believe). Anecdotally I hear of far more vegan dieters dying from various cancers… check out Phil Escott’s reports.

(bulkbiker) #60

Seems to completely contradict what you say in the post beofrehand?

(Brian) #61

Interesting character. I hadn’t heard of him before. I just listened to his rundown on diets from vegan to carnivore on YouTube. I know it was totally just him giving his opinions but I did find what he had to say interesting.

(bulkbiker) #62

He has quite an interesting facebook group “100% carnivore and beyond” which is a fairly irreverent and rude place if you like that sort of thing. Because he has tried most ways of eating and ended up carnivore I find his take on things quite refreshing although sometimes he is a bit “out there”.

(Bunny) #63

Nothing anecdotal about optimal dieters all dying of same type of cancer (colon cancers), that is simply a fact that I would not ignore? If all your your eating for example is steak and pork constantly, that is nowhere near hunter gatherer variety or authentic Inuit diet and ignoring the science of mucus production needed in the lining of the gut looks more like a certain type of death?

We were talking about soluble fiber for the gut bugs! …lol

When your primary source of nutrition is high in and mainly consists of carbohydrates with too little protein and fat then I can understand why Vegans would get cancer!

A dosage of RS 3 basmati rice (refried) is only 1-2 tblsp. Considering that a whole cup/13 tblsp of cooked basmati is around 45g carbs, it works out to 3.6 carbs per tblsp.

Esp for those of us who frequently do OMAD and whose daily carb limits are 50g or more - adding such carbs is easy-peasy.

RS is a remedial dosage - not a cuisine etc. No heaping plates of fried rice, no way!

Yes, one can survive on ZC for sure - but my understanding is that this about addressing damage to the gut from years of sugar addiction and antibiotics - as well as from excess fermentation issues that some ZC people get after many years (6+) without veg fiber - due to microbial imbalance.

(Bunny) #66

Hmmm! I wonder if it is a resistant starch …made with vinegared rice and select fillings wrapped in a sheet of nori… I doubt it would harm keto as long at you didn’t eat too many! Sounds delicious!

The Inuit peoples did not have an all-meat intake actually - more like 90-95%. Apparently they gathered and ate seaweed, grasses, berries in spring/summer - and those items were also traded? I believe one of the white western guys who lived w/ the Inuit only did so in the winter - and completely missed the different summer treats.

Apparently maki sushi rice has a lower glycemic index than long grain white rice - but within the RS protocol, it’d have to be fried, in order to gain the benefits of RS in the large intestine. Otherwise it just becomes liquid starch in the stomach alas.

After all this RS talk, I’ve been realizing I’ve not had any in over a week and am looking forward to the brain boost. I usually get extra basmati rice with my lamb kebab takeout with which to make small chilled & fried rice RS dosages, but I ran out.

…Have never been inclined to go the potato starch route, too concentrated and not as tasty w/ curry sauce. But I do get in veg fiber most every day, which is apparently also helpful for the good bacteria recovery in the large intestine apparently.