Resistant Starch 101 — Everything You Need to Know

(Empress of the Unexpected) #21

okay - and the odd English Muffin, which buttered is an amazing delivery system for cheese and bacon.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #22

Hanging my head in shame…and paying the price!

(TJ Borden) #23

It’s a lifestyle…LIVE… then KCKO

I’m 6 beers in at my favorite tap room at the moment. I’m not sweating it… but I plan on fasting tomorrow

(Empress of the Unexpected) #24

But still, my question is - even with all the cheats, I was in mild 0.8 ketosis. Spent a day going on the straight and narrow, and went to 1.5. My goal is to get my blood sugar down. So blood sugar down, ketones up? Is that the way it really works?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #25

I know you are having a great time!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #26

Any keto snacks involved?

In the comments thread under the Mark’s Daily Apple article I posted upthread it’s noted that upon starting RS:

“You will gain 3 pounds in a week, especially if you have been low carb. PS or any RS will feed gut bacteria. They multiply many fold over night and over the next days so you will end up with some extra pounds of gut bacteria – but all to the good. They are doing good work. The body changes towards a gut increase involve a fat loss and a muscle increase - as much as a 10 pound gain over a few months but not necessarily a change in body shape.”

Also, “The total volume of gut bacteria in your large intestine is the size of a football - could be over 5 pounds of biomass.”

Interesting! I don’t weigh - just measure - and I keep shrinking with the doses of RS3 a few times a week. But I never thought of the booming good bacteria growth in terms of actual biomass. :face_with_monocle:

(Karen) #28

So potato salad for the win yes

(Karen) #29

I’d like to lose weight but reducing sizes would be even better

(Bunny) #30

Dem be cooked potato’s… runs!

Sweet potato’s would be better!

(Karen) #31

Yes but chilled. Not hot potato salad. Will it work?

(Bunny) #32

Once you cook it, it turns to regular old starch from it’s high (resistant) starch state:

1. How it works: “… The beauty of resistant starch is that it doesn’t break down to glucose. It isn’t broken down at all in the body, but instead it becomes food for the gut microbiome in the colon. The gut bacteria digest the resistant starch into short-chain fatty acids, which are absorbed by the body. …” …More
  1. ”… Turns out a lot of people think you have to cook sweet potatoes before you eat them. But unlike regular potatoes, which contain the dangerous enzyme solanine in their raw state, sweet potatoes can actually be consumed raw. …” …More

(TJ Borden) #33

I’d like to redefine the term “mansplaining” to mean: a smart woman’s ability to dumb a concept down enough for a typical guy to understand.

Let’s try an exercise… so there are types of starch that once once cooked and cooled, react differently than we would normally expect?

(Bunny) #34

My theory is if I feed the little boogers when I am not eating and kill off the bad ones with a polyphenol like grape seed extract or matcha green tea then I am good to go :poop: …lol

(TJ Borden) #35

See, you were off to a good start until:

:flushed:???

(Bunny) #36

7 Pine Bark Extract Benefits You Won’t Believe

(TJ Borden) #37

Well that sounds manly… I like it

(Bunny) #38

Yes, I guess It goes back to phallic adoration through out human history, the great symbol of fertility…lol

Behold the greatest phallic symbol ever erected!

(TJ Borden) #39

Well I know phallic :wink:

(Bunny) #40

Clearly this has been going on a long-time: