Resistant Starch 101 — Everything You Need to Know

In the comments thread under the Mark’s Daily Apple article I posted upthread it’s noted that upon starting RS:

“You will gain 3 pounds in a week, especially if you have been low carb. PS or any RS will feed gut bacteria. They multiply many fold over night and over the next days so you will end up with some extra pounds of gut bacteria – but all to the good. They are doing good work. The body changes towards a gut increase involve a fat loss and a muscle increase - as much as a 10 pound gain over a few months but not necessarily a change in body shape.”

Also, “The total volume of gut bacteria in your large intestine is the size of a football - could be over 5 pounds of biomass.”

Interesting! I don’t weigh - just measure - and I keep shrinking with the doses of RS3 a few times a week. But I never thought of the booming good bacteria growth in terms of actual biomass. :face_with_monocle:

(Karen) #28

So potato salad for the win yes

(Karen) #29

I’d like to lose weight but reducing sizes would be even better

(Bunny) #30

Dem be cooked potato’s… runs!

Sweet potato’s would be better!

(Karen) #31

Yes but chilled. Not hot potato salad. Will it work?

(Bunny) #32

Once you cook it, it turns to regular old starch from it’s high (resistant) starch state:

1. How it works: “… The beauty of resistant starch is that it doesn’t break down to glucose. It isn’t broken down at all in the body, but instead it becomes food for the gut microbiome in the colon. The gut bacteria digest the resistant starch into short-chain fatty acids, which are absorbed by the body. …” …More
  1. ”… Turns out a lot of people think you have to cook sweet potatoes before you eat them. But unlike regular potatoes, which contain the dangerous enzyme solanine in their raw state, sweet potatoes can actually be consumed raw. …” …More

(TJ Borden) #33

I’d like to redefine the term “mansplaining” to mean: a smart woman’s ability to dumb a concept down enough for a typical guy to understand.

Let’s try an exercise… so there are types of starch that once once cooked and cooled, react differently than we would normally expect?

(Bunny) #34

My theory is if I feed the little boogers when I am not eating and kill off the bad ones with a polyphenol like grape seed extract or matcha green tea then I am good to go :poop: …lol

(TJ Borden) #35

See, you were off to a good start until:

:flushed:???

(Bunny) #36

7 Pine Bark Extract Benefits You Won’t Believe

(TJ Borden) #37

Well that sounds manly… I like it

(Bunny) #38

Yes, I guess It goes back to phallic adoration through out human history, the great symbol of fertility…lol

Behold the greatest phallic symbol ever erected!

(TJ Borden) #39

Well I know phallic :wink:

(Bunny) #40

Clearly this has been going on a long-time:

(Bob M) #41

I spent 5-6 months trying a wide variety of resistant starch sources (potato starch, plantain flour, etc.) and even heated and cooled varieties (eg, potatoes) and even raw potatoes. I added various probiotics to that, including the so-called “soil based” probiotics.

I could not find a benefit. If anything, I had horrible gas if I took too much starch, plantain flour caused an allergic reaction, and this seemed to make IBS symptoms worse. If there was a decrease in blood sugar, I couldn’t find it using pin-prick style blood sugar meters (didn’t have my CGM back then).

I’ve now gone to the other side, eating a near carnivore diet, though I do eat some vegetables. I feel much better. I also think that one should be eating real food, and one shouldn’t have to buy Bob’s Redmill potato starch or any other processed product to be healthy.

And heating and cooling potatoes (or white rice), for instance, does not seem reasonable for people on a keto diet. There’s still a ton of carbs left over. And I know from subsequently using a CGM that potatoes cause my blood sugar to fly through the roof, whether heated and cooled and reheated or not. (I will eat potatoes once in a while, but as a treat, not because I think they’re some magical food.)

(Karen) #42

But once you chil it after you cook it do you not get resistant starch?

@atomicspacebunny :exploding_head:

Just when I start getting comfortable with my lazy keto, eggs and sausage, sardines and pickles, routine you have to go and post something that literally makes my brain hurt. :weary:

I’m with @Baytowvin, I need the science “dumbed down” so I can understand better what it is I need to do. Actually, I want simpler than that. I want someone to tell me, “buy this on Amazon (with appropriate link), and take it three times a week.” That’s all I want. :wink:

For instance, I just learned about non-fortified, nutritional yeast. I watched a video by Dr. Berg and he said buy this, take a teaspoon everyday. I can buy a package of nutritional yeast and take a teaspoon everyday. Now if you told me, “take 4 grams everyday” I might be lost again, but I have a teaspoon in my kitchen, and I can do that. :grin:

Keep posting your very informative research, but I’m just warning you, it’s gonna take my slow brain a little while to “digest”. :grinning:

(Brian) #44

Thank you for sharing your own personal, real-world experience!

I’ve been rather skeptical of the resistant starch thing anyway and your experience reinforces my skepticism.

That said, I do eat a few beans here and there and the occasional bit of potato or sweet potato or carrots without really much worry at all. Then again, I’m not a 20g of carbs or less type, I stick more like 50g of carbs or less. Sometimes I’m lower, not that often too much higher. So I would guess that I’m on the higher end of what many here get as far as both starches and fiber. Life is good and my body is pretty happy with it’s intake. I feel good and things are going well.

As much as the N=1 thing gets dragged out around here, I think everyone does kinda have to find their own path.

(Bunny) #45

For me, an occasional green banana, I would agree extreme amounts or more than a moderate amount of natural resistant high starch could do that! Just want to make sure the micrbiota eat a little bit and get nourishment if I’m not eating frequently enough to nourish the microbiome at the distal ends of the intestinal tract (colon).

Just as with eating too much any one thing will throw the entire physio-chemistry of the human body into dysregulation; like eating too much sugar and hydrogenated trans fats from plants and animals being two of the most prominent in today’s common dietary intake (main staple)!

(Bunny) #46

This looks interesting and may answer your question:

Cooling Some Foods After Cooking Increases Their Resistant Starch

Personally I proceed with caution when something is cooked, heated or processed!

When humans play with fire and chemicals, I tend to get nervous!