Replacement for Pork Rinds?

kosher

(Paula) #1

My husband and I are kosher, which means no pork rinds. When I was AIP, we used plantain chips in place, but now that we are trying this WOE, plantains (especially that many) are out.

STILL new to this, our mouths are watering over some of these recipes using pork rinds. Is there another substitute? I am really wanting to try that fried chicken recipe that was just posted.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

(btw @admins i tried to add a tag KOSHER for this topic as it would be nice to be able to search for kosher recipes, but it said tag not found)

I’m experimenting with beef collagen protein powder to replace ground pork rinds, but so far don’t have a successful story.

I do think that I’ll eventually find a way to make it work.

Here’s a cheese puff recipe

(Ashley Haddock) #4

I prefer using cheese crisps most of the time over pork rinds.

(Paula) #5

That sounds amazing! My only fear would be pork rinds (from my understanding) and kinda flavorless, but have that desired crunch factor. Making Fried chicken with cheese crisps sounds AMAZING! So I will definitely try that. But I worry about the cheese flavor in recipes like the Pork Rind Pancakes

Thoughts??

(Ashley Haddock) #6

Yeah, I haven’t made pork rind pancakes but I can’t imagine cheese crisps working in those. I make almond flour and parmesan crusted chicken and it’s so good!

Almond flour will do a lot of the same things as pork rinds.

(Richard Morris) #8

Unfortunately users can’t add tags until they’ve been on the system for like 100 days and been elevated to a moderator.

But I just added Kosher and Halal to my chocolate beef heart - that should enable anyone to add those tags to any new food.

Carl changed this to TL2. Guess he didn’t send you a memo. :wink: Tags. I am really not feeling the love

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #10

@Ivg4him
I’ve seen many Kosher/Muslim/allergic to pork ketoers make homemade chicken skin for a pork rind replacement. They procure the skin from their butcher, who many times sells skinless chicken breast and was normally trashing the skin.
These ketoers bake the skin till crispy crunchy, but I imagine you could deep fry them in beef tallow too for amazing results.

Now I want to try it!! Yum!

(Dustin Cade) #11

there are always Chicharonnes de Pollo - Fried Chicken Skins

(G. Andrew Duthie) #12

If you want pancakes, I’ve had very good results with cream cheese pancakes. Basically egg, cream cheese, and flax meal. Here’s one recipe (this one doesn’t use flax):

This recipe is good, too, but a little more effort (you have to separate the eggs and beat the whites to stiff peaks). But the batter ends up very similar to normal pancakes, so you end up with a thicker, heartier pancake that’s a little easier to flip. I’ve done this recipe several times, and it doubles well, and can be used with blueberries, if you’re of a mind (and if you’re doing berries), in moderation:

(Dustin Cade) #13

I make the cream cheese and egg pancakes, i make them thin like crepes… single batch makes a bunch, put them in zip locks and the kids eat them for snacks and such… almost like keto tortillas…

(jketoscribe) #14

No pork rinds for me either. I don’t keep kosher, but we don’t eat pork or shellfish and try not to mix meat and milk. I haven’t found the perfect substitute for pork rinds… Some low carb people are experimenting with Lupin flour–lupin is a legume but it’s high in fiber and protein but low net carbs. Sometimes they add oat fiber with the lupin flour. I haven’t tried this myself, though.

Parmesean cheese works satisfactorily as breading for milchik or pareve dishes. Almond flour works for breading but it’s kind of delicate and burns easily. I find gribenes (crispy part of chicken skin after rendering the fat) still too greasy to be crisp except immediately after cooking.

When a recipe calls for whey protein power in a fleishik dish, I substitute Great Lakes Collagen powder as it’s kosher. I don’t eat much dairy, so I use the collagen powder quite often.

One thing I will say about keto–it sure makes Pesach easier!!!

(Fran) #15

Try putting the griebenes in the oven after rendering the fat off and letting them harden… let them cool down and pulse them in a grinder

(Sharon A Peters) #16

Yes, they are known as grebenes among the Yiddish-speaking Askkenazi Jews. And they are dy-no-mite. I use them to make kosher chicharrón prensado in a guajillo chile sauce.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #17

Have you ever try to do it yourself?
I’m very curious! I’m trying to introduce a very good friend of mine to Keto eating and lifestyle. She cannot eat pork so l’m trying to figure out if home made chicken skins ( baked and later crushed or pulsed) can replace the pork rinds in a recipe? I’m trying to hack the famous waffle recipe of Brenda Zorn :nerd_face:

(Laurie) #18

Pork rinds are fine in their own right (if you can eat them), but ketoers often use them as replacements for something else. I wonder whether searching for replacements for replacements is worthwhile. Maybe you could look up “keto dippers,” “keto pancake recipes,” “keto breading,” etc., and take it from there.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #19

You are absolutely right, such a smart observation :rofl:

(Aliza Lee) #20

Ivg4him-Paula. You obviously don’t keep kosher if you are willing to use cheese crisps. Kosher dietary law does not allow us not to not consume pork but also does not allow us to mix milk with meat. Please stop being a hypocrite.