Replacement for Pork Rinds?

kosher

(Arregina Mc Cullum) #21

Where do you get them?

(Dustin Cade) #22

they are not easy to find, Iā€™ve never found them in a store, though I have seen them on amazon beforeā€¦ I wish they would be a thing everywhereā€¦

(Erica Ramirez) #23

Fry chicken skin, tastes just like pork rinds

(Bob M) #24

I think this is one of those things that should be discussed by Jewish people. If you canā€™t mix dairy with meat, you often are left with poor choices, like vegetable oils. Most vegetable oils/seed oils are bad for you. We know someone who keeps kosher and often this leads to bad choices for oils. In Israel, the heart disease rate is extremely high, and this may be one reason why.

(Ben) #25

I am also not a big fan of pork rinds, I donā€™t like the flavor. What I do is get chicken tenders and pound them out very thin 1-2 mm and then press them into a 3/2 mixture of almond flour and panko, seasoned with garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper, and Italian seasoning to taste. No egg wash, i just season one side of the chicken with Adobo seasoning and then press it firmly into the mixture, flip, cover with crumbs and press again. Pan fry them up in butter or olive/avocado oil till brown on both sides. They are absolutely amazing and since panko is lower in carbs than regular crumbs it provides that extra crunch without too much sacrifice. you could probably even lower the panko in the recipe to a 2/1 ratio to save even more on the carbs. I pair this with some roasted yellow summer squash, onions, and garlic cloves coated in avocado oil and steak seasoning slice squash to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch rings, coat and back at 400 for 45 min while cooking the chicken. I make this for family and friends who are not following keto and it disappears instantly. Ive even doubled the recipe and there is still never any leftovers.

(Krista Dudley) #26

Are you adverse to dried fish?
Iā€™ve been looking for something to eat with an avocado-goat-cheese dip or the cauliflower tabouli from Trader Joes & was thinking of trying dried fish. I like to put dried anchovies over my salad as a replacement for croutons, so Iā€™ve been working up the courage to try larger & larger anchovies. While I was looking at the local Asian market through the various dried fish I saw Norwegian style stockfish bits from Canada. They look about the size of the smaller pork rinds you get in a package. Thinking of trying that next.

UPDATE: Celery for dippers is also a great option! :grin:

(Susan) #27

Welcome to the forum Krista.

If you have any questions or want to introduce yourself, feel free to make a separate thread so everyone will notice you are a new member and meet you =).

(SW) #28

What about grinding Whisps to make a crunchier crust? They come in flavors as well. I may try that tomorrow. Usually I use parmesan.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #29

Whatā€™s a Whisp?

(Laurie) #30

Whisps are chips/crackers made from cheese only. I used to buy them at Costco.

(Bob M) #31

They are good, especially to add to salads or to add a crunch to foods.

(Sharon A Peters) #32

Grebenes! Chicken, duck, or goose skin, rendered and crisped. It is unimaginably good. Also tasty is salmon skin.